Export thread

HD player / upconverter?

Matt²

I know there are some great programs like VLC (free) which play everything, and CyberPower DVD 10 (NOT free, avg $100) which upconverts to HD.. I like VLC but it doesn't upconvert at all, nor does Media Player (to my knowledge)..

anyone run into any free HD players/upconverters?

strawman

strawman

VLC does upvonvert - otherwise you'd see blocky artifacts when watching it at above 100%. I don't know if it does motion compensation and a lot of the other high-end upconversion features available in more modern DVD players, but I do know it has basic upconversion. Note that high end upconversion often includes correcting the framerate, deinterlacing if necessary, etc - which are more than merely making the image larger.

But a lot of those upconversion features are still protected by patents, so it's unlikely that you'll get them for free.

Matt²

VLC does upvonvert - otherwise you'd see blocky artifacts when watching it at above 100%. I don't know if it does motion compensation and a lot of the other high-end upconversion features available in more modern DVD players, but I do know it has basic upconversion. Note that high end upconversion often includes correcting the framerate, deinterlacing if necessary, etc - which are more than merely making the image larger.

But a lot of those upconversion features are still protected by patents, so it's unlikely that you'll get them for free.
ok let me say this: Powerdvd 10 does an awesomely fanTASTIC job upconverting CRAP to 1080p goodness. even OLD stuff looks like the people were just in the room filmed. But I don't want to pay $100 for it. You're saying they have a patent for that?

strawman

strawman

ok let me say this: Powerdvd 10 does an awesomely fanTASTIC job upconverting CRAP to 1080p goodness. even OLD stuff looks like the people were just in the room filmed. But I don't want to pay $100 for it. You're saying they have a patent for that?[/QUOTE]

They are probably licensing patents from other companies. This is actually pretty profitable technology.

Bones

Bones

matt you can get the regular version for about 30-50 dollars, only the crazy blu-ray version is 100, and thats because the codecs or whatever are all incredibly expensive to license.