Export thread

Health Insurance: COBRA and out of network care

MindDetective

MindDetective

Does anyone have experience switching jobs and thus health insurance as well? It looks like I may have a one month gap in health insurance between one job and the next. Naturally we can use COBRA to cover that month but we will be moving to a completely different state. I'm not sure what this will cost us on doctor visits for that month, which will be the 9th month of pregnancy for my wife. Yikes! Anyone have experience relevant to this?

strawman

strawman

Call you future employer And see if they will consider extending you new coverage to a month prior to your employment. Most won't, but some will.

Beyond that, extend cobra, don't get sick or injured, and if you do refer to your out of state coverage, which won't be great, but if you need to go to the ER it'll be a lot cheaper with insurance than without, even out of state.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Call you future employer And see if they will consider extending you new coverage to a month prior to your employment. Most won't, but some will.

Beyond that, extend cobra, don't get sick or injured, and if you do refer to your out of state coverage, which won't be great, but if you need to go to the ER it'll be a lot cheaper with insurance than without, even out of state.
I did and they won't. :(

And the major kink is that my wife is due October 2nd. My new employer would begin covering October 1st. It will be one nerve-wracking month!

makare

Woah Ill join.. do they have dental?

Booya October 2nd is an excellent day to be born :D

figmentPez

figmentPez

Woah Ill join.. do they have dental?
Of course they do, just look at Range Vipers beautiful smile:

strawman

strawman

I did and they won't. :(

And the major kink is that my wife is due October 2nd. My new employer would begin covering October 1st. It will be one nerve-wracking month!
I was in the exact same situation years ago, with two critical differences - I had two offers, and it was during a time of low unemployment. They both wanted me, and both offered to Pre date our coverage by a month. I don't think they'd give me the same deal today.

You should contact your current insurance company, find out what the costs of out of state delivery are, then go to an insurer local to where you're moving and ask for supplemental insurance for the one month. It is likely to be very reasonable, compared to paying the out of state costs of labor and delivery. They will essentially cover the difference.

MindDetective

MindDetective

That's good advice. We'll definitely look into it. Fingers crossed she delivers on time or late, though!