[Question] Help! Laptop keyboard not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using the onscreen keyboard to type. Our laptop keyboard just crapped out tonight. It was fine last night, but when we got home this afternoon, some of the keys have stopped working - but only some of the time. Half these words I've typed normally, then they'll stop. Device manager says the keyboard is working just fine. Nothing has been spilled on it, no damage....anyone have any ideas? I've tried rebooting, took the battery out...should I try taking the keys off and cleaning them? Anyone know of any other diagnostics I can run?

Find the instructions to replace the keyboard, and take it out then reattach it. It sounds to me like the connector or cable is loose.

If that doesn't work, you can find a replacement on eBay.

Also try a Linux live disc that boots from cd, and see if it works that way. If it does, something is wonky with your OS installation.

Oh, and keep in mind that if the numlock is on, half your keyboard will spit out numbers instead of letters, in case that's the issue.

Also try tapping the shift, altctrl, and other key modifiers hard a few times each to make sure it's not just that one of them is stuck.

Find the instructions to replace the keyboard, and take it out then reattach it. It sounds to me like the connector or cable is loose.

If that doesn't work, you can find a replacement on eBay.

Also try a Linux live disc that boots from cd, and see if it works that way. If it does, something is wonky with your OS installation.

Oh, and keep in mind that if the numlock is on, half your keyboard will spit out numbers instead of letters, in case that's the issue.

Also try tapping the shift, altctrl, and other key modifiers hard a few times each to make sure it's not just that one of them is stuck.
The function key sticking may be another culprit.

Yeah, and laptops have all sorts of function keys for volume, screen brightness and whatnot. Might as well give those a few good taps.

In fact, just hit all the keys a few times. Due to the way a keyboard is wired, one stuck key can take out a dozen or more other keys.

I have another keyboard, just need to get batteries (its wireless). Its not any function keys, I think it just needs a good cleaning. If that doesn't work i`ll try taking it apart and checking the cable. Its very odd. Right now its working perfectly. When I started typing I had to use the on-screen keyboard. Is that symptomatic of a dirty keyboard? Can anyone recommend any cleaning products/procedures?

Most laptop keyboards are some version of a sealed membrane, meaning that dirty is unlikely to affect it. It's likely that some key or another is failing, or that the cable connection is flaky.

Next time it happens, try hitting all the keys on the keyboard a few times and see if that clears it up. Focus on keys that don't work.

Either way, I suspect replacing the keyboard will resolve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.