Help me find an OLDER motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matt²

I was donated a p4 dual core machine today, the ECS motherboard (RS400a rev 1.0) died - specifically the IDE channels all blew up without taking any capacitors with it.

I'm trying to find a good deal on an older motherboard for this one - this mobo has ddr and ddr2 capability as well as sata and ide but with the mobo fritzing out I don't want to try hooking sata drives up to this one. I already tried a pci ide controller card, and it did NOT work.

Hoping to not spend more than $50 if possible, as I can get a newer one from my distributor for that plus shipping.

Any leads?

Not much available for that processor anymore. Newegg.com - BIOSTAR 945GC-M4 478 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Intel Motherboard is a $45 option, but after S&H it's over $50.

Is it worth it though? I mean, $50 for an old P4 with hyperthreading doesn't seem worthwhile, especially since you can get a new combo for $70 - Dual core celeron (real dual core, rather than the hyperthreaded P4 you currently have), DDR2 memory, etc: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

It's at least twice the processor of your P4, except for some very specific usage (I'm sure some scenarios would weight more heavily towards the P4, but not for general usage).

That was the first combo I found with a quick search, I'm sure there are others that may be a better deal that will use your existing memory.

I don't know. Winter is coming up, and that P4 could provide some much-needed space heat. If you really feel the need to get it up and running again, the used market should have some mobos ripe for experimentation. I did a quick search for s775 mobos that run the 533/800 FSBs, but couldn't find a single one that was a) NIB b) under $60 c) still for sale.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.