Export thread

HELP ME PLEASE! PROJECT PROBLEM.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm having a crisis...

I was about to print out some pictures from my digital camera, but all of a sudden (this has never happened before) when I put the SD card into my computer, it said it had to be formatted first. What the hell. Is there any way to get my pictures? I backed them up on a jump drive that I cannot fucking find, so this is my only hope.

If not, screw it, I'll take the deducted 5 points.... :eek:rly:

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

If the disk was formatted, they're likely gone for good. Sorry. Hope you find that jump drive.

Maybe someone else will be of more help. Good luck!

If you know the file names or part of, you could do a search and see if they pop up somewhere on you PC.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I didn't format it, though. It just says that I have to. I'm certain that they're not on my PC. I just checked the "properties" of my card, and it says that all the space is used. That's definitely now right. GREAT.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

If something can go wrong at the last minute, it will, right?

General Specific

General Specific

Do you have a USB port on your camera? You may be able to transfer the photos that way. It's how I transfer all of my pics to my system.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Can you right click on the drive in My Computer and click Explore?

Or is it forcing the Format dialog?

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

even if the card gets reformatted you might be able to retrieve the photos. However, do try to avoid formating.

There are (free or free trial) programs out there that will do a base level scan of photo cards and the likes to try to recover deleted data. I can't remember any of the names of ones I've used in the past but google will lead the way. Search terms undelete, photo recovery, etc. If the card has not had any data written to it since you took the photos (regardless of format or not) then there is a good chance the files are recoverable.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ir's forcing the format. :\ And I lost the cord for my camera.

Thanks for the link. :)

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

Dammit, Cajun, stop losing important things.

Do you have any other computer to try it on? Surely there's another one somewhere within a mile. =P

Cajungal

Cajungal

I went to the library, but none of them had a place for me to plug the thing in. They're all old. :( It's too late to call anyone. Honestly, I have the meat of the project all prepared. It looks really good. Fuck this. The pictures were bad, anyway. I had no partner to take them for me, and the teacher never took them when I asked, so at the end of the semester she just made me pose in a bunch of fake "teaching" positions where I'm pointing at computer screens and stuff. Screw it. Screw it screw it screw it. I'm too pissed right now to care.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

:hug:

PatrThom

PatrThom

IF the card still works when you put it back in the camera (can browse photos, etc) THEN the card is probably formatted with some sort of proprietary format. Not much to do for that except replace the cord, try another OS (ie, if your computer is Windows, try plugging it into a Mac or vice versa).

Unfortunately, there is also a recently acknowledged (and now patched) bug in Windows 7 that may likely be the culprit (if you're running Win7, that is).

--Patrick

Cajungal

Cajungal

Aww. :) Thanks.

Pat, I'm charging my camera right now. If the card still works in the camera, I can at least show them to my teacher and try to get them later.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Although it could be something else, the "this needs to be formatted" message is often what comes up when flash media has failed completely. I've seen it happen with several USB drives that died.

Chibibar

go to Walgreen (or one of those self service photo booth) they have memory reader there and see if they can read it.