Export thread

hot laptop action

makare

Is there anyway to keep my laptop from overheating without having to buy a new fan?

I was going to try ice but that seemed ill advised.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

If the internal fan isn't working, you'll need to replace it. If it is working, and it isn't enough, invest in a laptop cooler.

makare

That looks expensive :(

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That looks expensive :(
Not really. It's just a little table with some built in, usb powered fans. I don't know how much that model specifically costs, but you can find them for around $15-$20.

linglingface

linglingface

I bought one for Mike a few years ago for about $20 from Best Buy. It ended up breaking less than a year later, though. >.>

PatrThom

PatrThom

You might also try those defrosting enhancer things. They're like that table, only without the fans.

--Patrick

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Be sure not to have it directly on something cloth covered. Don't set it on your couch or actually on your lap. Just a plank of wood large enough to support the laptop. If you want to get fancy, find an old cushion and tack it to the board. Or go to Wal-Mart buy a $9 TV Tray and knock off the legs.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Those coolers really can help a lot... my brother uses one with his gaming laptop all the time and it keeps the CPU temps down and the case doesn't retain nearly as much heat.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Be sure not to have it directly on something cloth covered. Don't set it on your couch or actually on your lap. Just a plank of wood large enough to support the laptop. If you want to get fancy, find an old cushion and tack it to the board. Or go to Wal-Mart buy a $9 TV Tray and knock off the legs.
I'm with this. It's impressive how well a $5 wooden cutting board can deal with the problem.

makare

I put a board under it and it really helped. Thanks guys! ^_^