How do you house/apartment hunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking for an apartment here in Dallas and having a bit of trouble finding exactly what I want.

Personally, I'd rather rent from someone who has a condo or even small house for rent than an apartment company. Last year I rented a condo and it was so much nicer to actually have people to talk to when I needed something done than a person in the front office who probably wasn't trained right and this is just his/her job. You know?

I don't really like Criaglist because most of these adds are just for real estate agents and apartment finders, which I'd also like to avoid just so I don't have to keep giving out all my info to people who are going to hound me constantly so they can get a commission. My roommate already did one anyway and honestly she hasn't gotten anything that google couldn't give me.

Speaking of google, I've been liking that most of all. Going to maps, typing in real estate gets me a good idea of whats out there.

Any other suggestions?

What do you use to find a new place to live?

J

Jiarn

I visited 14 apartment complexes before I found this place, so yeah it takes alot of legwork.

For sure. I think we've seen like 12-15 places in person. Now we're splitting up and taking pictures to send each other.

The hardest part about house hunting is lugging enough cannon to bring one down in a single shot. You do NOT want to have to deal with a wounded house charging you.

I wrote a sketch about that. A guy on an "urban jungle" nature show was killed by a pack of efficiencies.

Yeah. I find that the WWII 88mm is good against just about any breed of house you can get a license for.

See, I always tag them and let them back into the wild. Do you know how much clorophorm it takes to bring down a 3/3 with covered parking?

I always go back into a neighborhood after 7pm, just to see if it is a family street, full of college kids on nightly benders, or so quiet you think all the neighbors are dead...

fade

Staff member
Zillow is a good source. The iOS app is actually really nice, too. It'll give you good neighborhood wide price overviews, and even price histories for individual properties.

Where in Dallas are you looking? If you are looking in the Dallas "area", you could look here in Lewisville. My wife and I REALLY like our apartments here. We are about 1/4 of a mile from I-35E and business 121, which makes access to 114, 635, and 161 easy to get to. The walls are good. I play my guitar at a decent enough volume and have never had a complaint from neighbors. In fact, we rarely hear the neighbors unless they are hammering on the wall or ceiling (the people below us have apparently completely renovated their apartment). There was a recent change in management, but so far they've been good and the maintenance guys are friendly and knowledgeable, at least as far as I can tell.

If you're interested, check them out at http://www.vistaspringsapts.com

Lewisville is nice. It's a bit out of the way from our work places though.

It's also where my crazy aunt lives and I don't need any more excuses to see her SOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo yeah. :p

My roommate found some really cheap ones that we're going to look at. The reviews I'm reading on them are kind of mixed. I mean I read three from people who didn't even live there before I found anything that seemed like honest criticism of the place. Still though, no harm in looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.