Export thread

How to make sure your kids never boat again.

Dave

Dave

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/10/idaho.boat.search/index.html?iref=NS1

4 men - ages 57, 30, 30 & 26 - go boating with 5 kids (the story does says whose kids they are). ALL 5 kids were 9 years old or younger.

So one of the guys pulls a joke on one of the other guys and pushes him in the water. The man in the water was not wearing a life vest and couldn't swim. So the other three guys, instead of throwing the guy a life vest, all jump in the water to save this guy....and drown. So 4 grown men who can't swim are boating without life vests, each jumping in the water and drowning.

Left in the boat all alone are 5 horrified kids. One of them called 911 and were saved, but holy crap.

Chibibar

:confused:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Young Boys Wankdorf erection relief
Needles to say, I did not read the rest of that article...

Dave

Dave

Yeah, apparently I didn't clear my cache from a story I sent to Fark yesterday. I was hoping nobody noticed.

That one is about a soccer team...

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Young Boys Wankdorf erection relief - Europe - ESPN Soccernet

The supporters of Young Boys Bern have not had too much to celebrate in the 19 years since their team last won the Swiss league title.
Best sports headline EVER!

bhamv3

bhamv3

I am confused, for several reasons.

Joe Johnson

That should really be on a t-shirt.

(not the tragic, drowning story; the Wankdorf Erection headline)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

you have to add the 'relief' to the shirt too.

So the story had a happy ending after all.

Terrik

Terrik

That didn't take long to derail.

Matt²

so they went swimming in some guy's erection? O_O :bolt:
totally wrong link there Dave.

Hylian

Hylian

This thread has taken a weird turn very quickly

LordRendar

LordRendar

what was the story about again?

Espy

Espy

This thread has taken a weird turn very quickly
Thats one way to put it.

Dave

Dave

Okay, here's the rundown of what happened:

I posted the story of the 4 guys who drowned while leaving 5 kids to scream and be scarred for life. BUT, instead of the correct link, I pasted a link that I had copied yesterday and sent to Fark.com. That link is about a boy's soccer team in Europe and is one of the most poorly worded headlines - or most genius headlines - I've ever seen. I edited the post as fast as the system would let me but it was too late - someone saw it.

And that's the story of Dave's Thread.

Espy

Espy

And lo, it was a magnificent thread.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I liked the part about the erection relief. :awesome:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Soccer and priapism relief goes hand to man...

Dei

Dei

So even though you fixed the text of that link, if you click it, it still goes to the soccer story.

Dave

Dave

Really? Hmm. I did not know that. I deleted the soccer link and reinserted the one about the swimmers. Or non-swimmers.

Joke on boat leads to four deaths - CNN.com

Let's try this one.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I have a hard time wrapping my head around being an adult and not knowing how to swim. It seems it would come naturally enough... Or some thing that should be high on your bucket list.

Dave

Dave

Or some thing that should be high on your bucket list.
Technically swimming is what they DID do right before they died. The fact that they didn't do it well or for long is another thing.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

That boating thing is extremely tragic and was so incredibly preventable... what a colossol waste. Of course... it also shows how f@#$ing stupid some people are... first off you should always wear your damn life vest... but ESPECIALLY IF YOU SUCK AT SWIMMING!!! *facepalm*

Those poor kids...

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

And that's why you don't try to teach a lesson..

Papillon

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/10/idaho.boat.search/index.html?iref=NS1

4 men - ages 57, 30, 30 & 26 - go boating with 5 kids (the story does says whose kids they are). ALL 5 kids were 9 years old or younger.

So one of the guys pulls a joke on one of the other guys and pushes him in the water. The man in the water was not wearing a life vest and couldn't swim. So the other three guys, instead of throwing the guy a life vest, all jump in the water to save this guy....and drown. So 4 grown men who can't swim are boating without life vests, each jumping in the water and drowning.
Probably at least some of them (maybe all but the first guy) could swim, but were dragged under by the ones who couldn't. Unless you know what you're doing, you're never supposed to get in the water where someone is drowning, because in their panic they can easily drag you under too.

LordRavage

It happened ten years ago. I just cant get the image out of my mind. They were just horsing around. I saw legs go up as one of them fell overboard. The yelling was turning into too much as everyone paniced. They all just lept over. You could hear the splashing. Then the noise just became fainter and fainter. Soon there was nothing left but silence. I peeked over the edge while the other kids held each other in fear. I could not blink as I saw their bodies floating in the water, silent, unmoving. I could hear my cousins sobbing. They wanted to see. I kept them back.

You will never get me back in a boat. It will never fucking happen.

LittleSin

LittleSin

Ravage...is that prose based on what happened or a real experience?

Cuz...jesus. Chilling.

LordRavage

Cuz...jesus. Chilling.
It is prose. I have been writing lately and my mind tends to delve a little deep into situations I read about.

Sorry if I spooked ya....but at the same time..I'm glad I did. ;)

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Freaked me out too...

Gared

Gared

This happened in Idaho? I fail to be surprised.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Cuz...jesus. Chilling.
He was POVing as one of the kids on the boat.

I like to imagine him in the same setting as Quint giving the Indianapolis speech in Jaws.

Disconnected

57, 30, 30, and 26

and the 57 year old was not the father of any of the 'adults'? Hmmm, Hey kids wanna see daddy's lure.

So godamn tragic, thanks Dave. Grrr. I will read nothing but happy news from this day forth.

KCWM

KCWM

I'm pretty sure I heard about this story the other day on the radio. Such a complete bummer.

While I love to swim, open water, even on a lake, is something truly frightens/intimidates me. I've never gone on a boat in either lake or ocean without a life vest on. I've always thought that some people simply don't give water the respect that it deserves.