Export thread

I hate vomiting.

Dave

Dave

I really hate vomiting. I mean, I know most people don't unless they are bulimic, but fuck I hate throwing up. So I really, really, REALLY hate waking up at 3 am with a mouth full of bile. I hurried to the bathroom, spit it all out and brushed/drank milk. Then I propped up more pillows and went back to sleep. 1/2 later, same fucking thing. Then again at 5 am. I had no Pepto Bismol or any other kind of medicine for this sort of thing and the milk just plain didn't help.

I know this could have gone in the mini-rant thread but I wanted to know: Is there anything else I could do without getting dressed and running to a Walgreens at 3 am?

Math242

Math242

beer

Andromache

A) when was your last check up? Did you get examined for acid reflux?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Not that I can think of. I'd have gone to the pharmacy if I didn't have any kind of medicine. Does that happen a lot?

Chazwozel

I really hate vomiting. I mean, I know most people don't unless they are bulimic, but fuck I hate throwing up. So I really, really, REALLY hate waking up at 3 am with a mouth full of bile. I hurried to the bathroom, spit it all out and brushed/drank milk. Then I propped up more pillows and went back to sleep. 1/2 later, same fucking thing. Then again at 5 am. I had no Pepto Bismol or any other kind of medicine for this sort of thing and the milk just plain didn't help.

I know this could have gone in the mini-rant thread but I wanted to know: Is there anything else I could do without getting dressed and running to a Walgreens at 3 am?
Dude, don't drink milk if you have an upset stomach!

Dave

Dave

I admit it has been a while. But last night is the first time that's happened in forever so I don't think it's anything systemic. Probably something I ate (penne pasta with alfredo and garlic bread) that didn't want to stay down. If it happens again anytime soon I'll be more concerned about long-term health risks.

Chazwozel

I admit it has been a while. But last night is the first time that's happened in forever so I don't think it's anything systemic. Probably something I ate (penne pasta with alfredo and garlic bread) that didn't want to stay down. If it happens again anytime soon I'll be more concerned about long-term health risks.

If you had some Pepsi or Ginger Ale around that would be ok, or just plain water.

Dave

Dave

Why would that help, Chaz? Wouldn't drinking acidic be counter-productive? That's why I went for the milk.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Well if you're feeling nauseous then little sips of Sprite or something can help with that. When I have bad heartburn I drink milk too, but if you're actually throwing stuff up I'd do what Crone suggests and talk to a doctor about acid reflux...assuming it's been happening often.

Chazwozel

Why would that help, Chaz? Wouldn't drinking acidic be counter-productive? That's why I went for the milk.

Yeah Milk is basic, but it's also got lactose out the ass, which your stomach already has a fun time digesting. Pepsi and Ginger ale have pepsin and ginger respectively which help digestion.

Dei

Dei

Ginger Ale is good because it (usually) has ginger in it which can help upset stomachs. Just stir it around to make it flat first.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Tablespoon of vinegar. It may cause one big vomit, but it will balance out some of the acid in your stomach.

Chazwozel

Well if you're feeling nauseous then little sips of Sprite or something can help with that. When I have bad heartburn I drink milk too, but if you're actually throwing stuff up I'd do what Crone suggests and talk to a doctor about acid reflux...assuming it's been happening often.
If it's heartburn, don't you get chestpains and your throat burns? I don't know I'm not a doctor. But I do know that if it's a plain ol' stomach ache, you want to get what ever is in your stomach digested or out!

ElJuski

ElJuski

Totally go with the Ginger Ale, that's always my go-to. I really hate throwing up to, more than I imagine people normally do. But as a kid I would get stomach flu about once a year, so.

Chazwozel

Ginger Ale is good because it (usually) has ginger in it which can help upset stomachs. Just stir it around to make it flat first.
Same with the pepsi

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

BRAT diet time for Dave.

Dave

Dave

But my stomach doesn't feel upset. I think it's more reflux as Crone said.

And trust me, I have kids so I know that BRAT diet.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, you're right, Chaz. I was just saying that because I've drunk a sip of milk when it's just a little bit coming up every now and then just to coat my throat. If I was full on hauling back and puking, I definitely would not drink milk. But for me there's a difference between spitting up a mouthful of bile because of acid reflux and throwing up a lot. I wasn't sure what Dave was talking about.

Hylian

Hylian

So you have plenty of Bratty kids to eat Dave?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

if it was acid reflux, you can mix a tablespoon of baking soda into a glass of water and sip for temporary relief.

Chazwozel

As someone with two kids to take care of (still young kids), let me tell you guys there is nothing worse than the smell of milk that's been in someone's stomach and yakked up.

Dei

Dei

Well, I think it ties rancid milk in a sippy cup that your child hid under the couch a week ago. Of course, I make my husband deal with vomit most of the time because I generally end up adding more. :p

WolfOfOdin

I'll see your thrown up milk and raise you having to smell vomited shashimi.

Had to deal with THAT one day when I used to work at a seafood restaurant at the shore

Dave

Dave

My son once vomited off the top bunk. Didn't matter what he'd eaten. The splatter was EPIC!

Shakey

Shakey

When I was a kid I puked in the hallway at night. My sister woke up and came to see what was happening, as soon as she saw it she puked. Then my mom comes out, sees the mess, and throws down a third pile. My poor dad had to clean it all up.

Wasabi Poptart

Ginger tea because the amount of ginger in most ginger ale is negligible and won't help your stomach. Carbonation isn't that good for an irritated stomach either from what my doctor told me when I had food poisoning.

WolfOfOdin

Dave

Dave

My favorite Family Guy scene.

Calleja

Calleja

lmao

what's that they drank? Epicat?

WolfOfOdin

Ipecac, it's a vomit inducing agent.

Calleja

Calleja

Just the read the wiki article... it's actually poison that because of the relatively low dose and inability for most to keep it down is "seldom fatal".

....yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Doctors are not only not recommending it anymore, they're actively trying to get it NOT used at all. Funny remnants of old remedies are funny.

Dei

Dei

All I can really say about vomit is THANK GOD I NEVER HAD MORNING SICKNESS WHEN I WAS PREGNANT.

Dave

Dave

All I can really say about vomit is THANK GOD I NEVER HAD MORNING SICKNESS WHEN I WAS PREGNANT.
How is babby formed? How girl get pragnent?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

They need to do way instain mother> who kill their babbys.

Jake

Jake

I keep some papaya enzyme tablets around for the occasional upset stomach and heartburn. Works on the root of the problem, unlike antacids that just cover it up.

klew

klew

Last time I felt like vomiting, I drank some orange juice, so that when I did eventually vomit, the stomach acid didn't feel as strong.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Personally, when I'm feeling horrid I'm always VERY thankful when I finally vomit. It's always a relief to the pain in my stomach. Then again, the ONLY time I think I've ever thrown up is when I get food poisoning (happens more often than you'd think)

Chibibar

I hate vomiting too. Which happens if I play Halo or any FPS games over 1 hour........ worst if it has flashing colors (like Descent 3...... oh man)

Calleja

Calleja

The last time I vomited is the reason why I've stopped drinking almost entirely.

We had a poker night last year and a friend of mine decided it was also gonna be alcoholic smoothie night, so he got a blender, lots of berries and fruits, and vodka. I drank, I swear, at most 3 or 4.

That night and the next morning was spent almost entirely near the toilet, chucking up first everything I'd eaten, and then just bile. Bile, bile and more bile. My body was so poisoned by the alcohol that it continued to make me vomit even though my stomach could not have been emptier. Probably the worst I've ever felt in my entire life. That led to some research on the actual impact alcohol has in your system. So I've switched to weed which is healthier in every way possible. And cheaper.

Philosopher B.

Personally, when I'm feeling horrid I'm always VERY thankful when I finally vomit. It's always a relief to the pain in my stomach. Then again, the ONLY time I think I've ever thrown up is when I get food poisoning (happens more often than you'd think)
Yeah, for me, oftentimes the pre-vomiting tension is way worse than the actual act of vomiting itself.

darkangel6988

I usually mix sprite and gingerale together with a pinch of sugar to take out the carbonation. And that usually settles my stomach. Along with a few crackers.

Wasabi Poptart

I keep some papaya enzyme tablets around for the occasional upset stomach and heartburn. Works on the root of the problem, unlike antacids that just cover it up.
I second this! Papaya is great for settling the stomach. It's pretty easy to find the enzyme tablets, too.

Calleja

Calleja

Papaya tastes awful, though.

Also.. you people stopped naming things at around 1700 and just decided to go with the local names after that, didn't you? Papaya, Mango.. stop butchering my language!!

Not really.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Small sips of Sprite work for me the best.

The few times I've had a stomach bug that's made me vomit, I sleep with a bucket beside my bed. Luckily those times I can count with the fingers of my right hand.

Jake

Jake

That's why you get nice, minty papaya tablets.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I used to have a terrible time with acid-reflux. I was chewing antacids by the handful. I moved and my acid-reflux dropped almost completely. I don't know exactly what changed. I have been eating a lot less dairy, and a hell of a lot less fast food. I bet the lack of processed foods was key.

As for immediate relief, Tin's suggestion of baking soda in water works like a charm for me.