Export thread

I just saved $1,500

Matt²

WHEW! I was quoted $1,500 sight unseen for a complete transmission rebuild by one auto place, when my transmission is having trouble shifting. I had it flushed by Midas but then it got worse. This morning on a whim I took the car (2000 Dodge Neon) to a transmission shop down the street, wound up swapping labor times on a computer of his wife's that was acting up - he did a computer scan on mine, I did a computer scan on his! :D - and we're both coming up rosy..

mine: some debris knocked loose from Midas, he put a cleaner in and it should unstick one of the valves that appears to be closed.

his: former tech put the p4 cpu fan on wrong or knocked it loose putting the power supply in. Either way it was misseated and broke one of the clamps, plus there wasn't enough thermal grease (dime size on a half dollar square) letting the heat get to 202F before it automatically shut down. Replaced that fan and put arctic silver on all of it, and it's down to 133F and happy.

I pay: $0
he pays : $20 for a part.

life is much better when you don't have to shell out $1,500 .. especially when it's not needed!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

by switching to GEICO?

Krisken

Krisken

by switching to GEICO?
Damn, that's what I thought too.

Covar

Covar

Very nice. Great that you both got something out of the exchange too.

Matt²

by switching to GEICO?
lol.. no actually I switched FROM Geico after dealing with their douchebag agents to Progressive.. been much happier the last 4 years.

Anyone else had transmission problems (automatics or not) that were thought to be big problems and turned out not to be such a big deal?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

My first car was a 65 Mustang, and the clutch burned out thanks to a friend pulling up too close behind me on an uphill stop. My dad and I had to pull out the entire transmission to replace the wheel. Not terribly expensive but it happened mid-June in southern CA, so it was an all-day hotter than hell project. We also owned two different Mitsubishis and both had major transmission issues. Needless to say, we've never owned one since.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I completely understand, Matt. One of my best friends is a Ford mechanic. His Dell and I go waaaaay back. :)

--Patrick

strawman

strawman

How to save $1500 in five easy steps:

1. CTRL-A
2. CTRL-C
3. Open notepad
4. CTRL-V
5. CTRL-S

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You're welcome.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I kow of a kickass sandwich you could be buying with that sort of money.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Wait, so the US economy is doing so bad you're back to the barter system now?
Dang, I didn't know it had gotten quite that bad yet :-P :-P
Now's the time all those cute girls with way too big computers they need help with will finally have to look at nerds :-P

Matt²

I kow of a kickass sandwich you could be buying with that sort of money.
yeah and I brought you the story of it, lol!

re: Bubble181
yeah no doubt!

here's irony to this thread title... I just got off the phone hollering at Progressive, who raised my rates without warning. I haven't had any accidents, and yeah I've had a speeding ticket, but the judge blocks that from ever entering the system as long as I go to the driving classes (this saturday) and pay the fine in full by February.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Was it because you were looking for stuff to buy with that money?

Matt²

ya know, I really don't remember how I came across it now.. think it was a link in a sidebar of a story I was reading.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I had something similar with a car having engine problems on a drive from Norfolk, VA to Morgantown. Car was slowing down and dying every 30 to 40 miles, spewing oil into the air cleaner. Every time it died I had to wait 5 minutes before the car would start again. Rinse, repeat. A 6-hour drive took 2 days. The first garage I took it to said the entire engine would need replaced. Cost: more than the car was worth.

I took it to another garage for a second opinion. It was diagnosed and repaired in less than half an hour. Vacuum problem. $30 part fixed it.