Export thread

I Know This Is Going To Sound Shady....

Jiarn

Can anyone recommend a good nanny hidden cam, preferably hidden in a clock for under $100. When my kids start school again, my brother's girlfriend is going to be watching my kids 4 nights a week, since I work night shifts. I don't suspect any foul treatment, I'm just curious if she will follow certain rules that I have for them as I've asked her.

It needs to be video, not pictures, it needs to be discreet and not obvious. As I had gotten excited about:

Mini DV Spy Hidden Digit Clock Camera Cam Camcorder - Meritline.com

just to find out that it does:

Flashes very obviously in LeD....

So any recommendations would be fantastic.

makare

you are going to secretly watch her? why not just tell her you are recording and that will ensure she follows the rules? that way you dont have to be super creepy.

Dave

Dave

I like that, makare. That's the way to go, I think. And remember - if you record sounds it's probably illegal.

Jiarn

Illegal? Wait what?

Also I don't tell her because she's the type to get massively insulted by that, and I can't really chance screwing this up as far as child care goes.

Really appreciate the links FnordBear but a bit out of the $100 price range I was hoping for....

makare

recording people without their knowledge is probably not a good idea.

Jiarn

Reason being? The clock would go in the children's room. It's more of a monitor for them than her.

I knew this was going to come across the really wrong way.

Would it be wrong to have a backround spyware installed on your child's computer without their knowledge?

makare

No Im not thinking "this guy is a freak" im thinking "this guy is inadvertently and well meaningly committing a crime".

if it is for the kids tell her that. then she wont take it personally.

Jiarn

And how exactly do I put a camera in their room without them knowing it without said camera clock?

makare

you can use the alarm clock.. i dont know why you are asking this question

Jiarn

Since my son is 12 and tech savvy, I really don't think the obvious LED clock would get past him.

I didn't expect it to come across so badly. I apologize completely and will simply hope for the best instead of resorting to obviously problematic measures.

makare

you didnt come off badly. also if you are not from the US what i was saying might be irrelevant anyway.

good luck.

KCWM

KCWM

I found this site Using A Nanny Cam that goes on to say that video recordings are legal in all 50 states, but recording audio without consent is illegal in some states. Be sure to check local laws before you use them.

Dave

Dave

See? That's what I said!

I'm all for watching these sorts of things but when you do it you should know that you may be breaking some laws/confidences/moral ideologies. But if it's going to be in the child's room I see less of an issue. But if you have a 12 year old I doubt that you'll need the camera unless you are worried about things like theft. The 12 year old should be able to tell you if anything untoward is happening.

makare

yeah im confused as to what kind of rules would be broken in a 12 year olds bedroom.

also just because something isn't illegal doesnt mean you wont get reamed in a civil case.

Null

Null

What could possibly be shady about secretly recording your brother's girlfriend?

And "certain rules"? Dude, that sort of phrase does not help the creep factor.

ScytheRexx

ScytheRexx

There are definitely a few things kind of creepy about it. I know you didn't mean for it to be intentionally creepy, but that is just how it rolls.

One, it is understandable that a kid should have some rules, but the kid should be smart enough to follow those rules because he respects you. I don't think enforcing those rules by spying on the child will help your case in making sure he keeps following them, and in fact may even push him to break those rules to spite you. I did that a few times as a kid when I felt my father was not trusting me, and it will only get worst when he starts having hormones involved as a teenager.

Two, even if you in the end decide to spy on your son and brother's girlfriend, how are you going to approch them should the rule be broken? If you admit you know, they are going to question you. You can't just say you know, so you would have to give up how you did it. The camera thus comes out after the fact, and everyone is going to be unhappy in that situation. It is a trust breaker.

Really, just talk with the woman and make sure she understands the rules. Talk with your son each day about making sure he keeps his chin up and does not do anything stupid. Just be honest, and make the kid understand that you are trusting him as you walk out the door. If he breaks the rule, he breaks your trust and you punish him accordingly, but if you tape him breaking the rule, you break everyone's trust and make it harder for him to want to listen to you.

Dave

Dave

It would help to know what these "certain rules" are. It does make a difference. If the certain rules are that they must put the dishes away right after dinner and they aren't doing it until right before bedtime it's no big deal. But if the rules are "no computer time after 8" then it's a different story. I would say in most cases the special rules will be able to be overlooked as long as the end result is the same or there will be other ways to verify.

But again we can't say. I don't think you're creepy, I think you are overprotective and that's FINE! How long have you known this woman? What are her qualifications for watching kids? Since a background check is probably impossible, what character references can you get?

Your kids are the top priority and I think you already realize that.

Morphine

Morphine

As a former au pair I also find it a little insulting.
Do your bosses record everything you do withouth your knowledge?
If you are going to trust her with your children: trust her. If not: get another one.

KCWM

KCWM

As a former au pair I also find it a little insulting.
Do your bosses record everything you do withouth your knowledge?
If you are going to trust her with your children: trust her. If not: get another one.
Not the same situation unless his job involves his bosses kids. I think he has every right as a parent to take steps to make sure his kids' safety is insured. I've seen specials where the kid said nothing and the nanny wasn't caught until the nanny cam was used. However, I agree that it might be a bit extreme if the OP's "certain rules" are more of a micro-management variety. All it takes is for an adult to lose their temper and hurt a kid...can happen in a flash.

Clarification about the situation and these certain rules would definitely help.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

A good nanny would probably be more like $500-1000... per week. Child care ain't cheap.

Element 117

If you don't trust someone to be with your children unmonitored, don't leave them with that person.

strawman

strawman

People sure are uppity around here. Check out the options at Spy Camera Center: Spy Cameras, Digital Spy Camera, Spy Video Camera on Sale - DealExtreme - they are cheap, but slow shipping.

It's legal to video in your own home in every state, and it's only illegal to record speech without a person's consent in the following 15 states: California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oregon, Pennyslvania, and Washington.

So if you are outside those states, you don't have a problem. Inside those states you can check to see what your legal responsibilities are - for instance you may be able to record conversations you are having with someone, and given that you are guardian of your children you may be able to record conversations they have with people, which would make most recording completely legal. But if you're worried about it, simply disable or tape over the microphone. Honestly it's going to be hard for your nanny to prove you are recording their conversations unless you actually use the material against them in court.

I don't know why people are spending so much time telling you it's a bad idea. The best time to put in some sort of monitoring hardware is before you even suspect there's a problem. You have absolutely no obligation, ethically, morally, legally, or otherwise to tell someone that you are videotaping rooms inside your own home for the safety and security of your family. It's ludicrous to think that people believe their "personal privacy bubble" should extend into your home when they are spending time alone with your children. I simply don't understand the mindset around here.

Yes, ideally trust would be enough, but if your brain is sending signals that a situation needs to be monitored (not even acted on - "Hey, let's just collect some information and make sure everything's going ok!") then, were I you, I'd pay attention to those gut feelings and do some monitoring. I wouldn't care about the legality of recording the audio because, at this point, I'm merely gathering information, and if I find out I was wrong, great! Everything goes in the bit bucket. If I find out there's a problem, then great! I can, ideally, resolve the issue long before anything goes too far.

But don't take the naysayers here to heart, and don't let them dissuade you from this path with the faulty idea that the privacy of the nanny is more important than the safety of your children and the security of your home.

However, I definitely agree with those saying that if you believe there is a problem, don't use the girlfriend. In this case it seems you merely don't have enough trust, but don't have any reason to distrust, so adding monitoring on top of the belief that you can trust those who tell you she's fine seems a prudent and reasonable action.

-Adam

Dave

Dave

It sounds to me like he doesn't have that much choice in who is watching his kids. Daycares are not open during the times he needs them watched so it adds another wrinkle.

Chibibar

It sounds to me like he doesn't have that much choice in who is watching his kids. Daycares are not open during the times he needs them watched so it adds another wrinkle.
Also, if I remember correctly, he is living in HIS brother's home.

Element 117

Also, if I remember correctly, he is living in HIS brother's home.[/QUOTE]

So man is gonna spy on his brother's girlfriend in his bro's house where he is staying while's she's watching his kids?

Espy

Espy

That a real problem then. I have no problem with him doing it in his home, I think Adam said everything about that that needed to be said. If it's not your home though? Weeeeell maybe think twice.

Chibibar

That a real problem then. I have no problem with him doing it in his home, I think Adam said everything about that that needed to be said. If it's not your home though? Weeeeell maybe think twice.[/QUOTE]

This is a guess. People keep changing their name so I can't remember who is who. I remember someone posting about having to move back with his brother and his gf's place for a bit, have kids, and thinking about dating (could be two separate stories and my brain is just jumble together) ;)

Dei

Dei

In the other thread talking about his ex, he mentioned his son was having issues in school or something right? It could be that he's far more worried about his son breaking rules behind the babysitter's back than he is about the babysitter. If the monitoring device if for the kid's room, then I can imagine a few things it could be for, and most of the things I'm thinking of are kind of out of the realm of "spying on the babysitter".

KCWM

KCWM

I may have missed the detail about him living in his brother's home. THAT would change my opinion a bit. I still don't think it's wrong to take steps to protect the safety of one's children, but if it IS his brother's home, he needs to at least discuss both his concerns and the video monitoring with his brother.

Chibibar

wait wait!! before we jump on Jiarn on the housing situation, I think it was the same post (I can't find it now) about living with his brother. I can't remember. I guess we have to let Jiarn to verify first before we jump on him.

sorry for the confusion.

Element 117

We are going to jump on him? Is he the new High Horse?

Jiarn

Wow this spiraled out of control.

Simply put, the camera would be in my house, in my kids room, and the biggest issue I was going to have was them eating in their room while watching TV and not going to bed on time. Things that a 12yr old wouldn't exactly admit to doing. It's the reason I didn't want to spend much, it's not massively important that I get this done, was simply a small little "ah ha! gotcha!" sort of thing so that my kids would know that I'm always making sure they're doing what they're supposed to and not taking advantage of "auntie". I also never said it had to have audio....

You all took it and ran in a very very wrong direction....

Krisken

Krisken

You all took it and ran in a very very wrong direction....[/SIZE][/FONT]
Welcome to Halforums! Just leave your coat anywhere and mind your step in the threads. They tend to spiral of their own accord.

Element 117

OT: Reread your original post from the POV of a stranger. #Solved.

Dave

Dave

I have the solution. Ready for this?

Trust your babysitter.

This is a pretty trivial thing to want surveillance for. I'd let her know this is especially important to you and then go to work knowing that either she'll lay down the law or she won't. Either way it isn't the end of the world.

Jiarn

I trust her to be TOO nice to them and let them break some of the rules.

You're right, it is trivial, hence I wanted some cheap little gimmicky thing and not a $500 super survellience system.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Dude, the stuff you're concerned about is stuff that you could monitor through keeping an eye on your kid's behavior and environment. If they sleep more than usual... well, more than a pre-pubescent, anyways, then they are staying up too late, and this can be addressed. If you start finding plates and whatnot in the room, then you know that they are eating in the room, and this can also be addressed.

Just my $0.02. It sounds to me as though the trust issue is with your kids, not the babysitter; as you say, you're concerned about them taking advantage of auntie.

Also bear in mind that kids will be kids, teens will be teens, but ultimately, the virtues you've tried to instill in them will shine through. Mostly. My mother still despairs about my lack of cleaning ethic......

Jiarn

Like I said, I'm not truly worried of any wrong doing. ALso yes, I know that they will be kids. I also know that when they stay at my parents house they forget all the things I teach them and just run with it.

I was just hoping that if I could somehow surprise them with knowledge of what they were doing, it'd keep them thinking twice while I wasn't there.

Again, this entire subject is better left dropped and I will just go about my business without it.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It's cool man... besides, kids generally know that parents have eyes EVERYWHERE, anyways... *grins*

Jiarn

Again, they would never know there was one. I'd simply tell them that I know they had done it.

Krisken

Krisken

Again, they would never know there was one. I'd simply tell them that I know they had done it.
Kids aren't stupid. They'll resent you for spying. They aren't going to think you come by your information through psychic ability.

Hylian

Hylian

I know that if I was young and I found out my parents where spying on me I would resent them and become that much more secretive and probably do more stuff behind there backs just to prove a point.

Jiarn

Hence I dropped the subject about 6 posts back....

Krisken

Krisken

Edit: I am dumb. I missed you saying just that. Whatever you do, I hope it works out.

Espy

Espy

Hire a robot that looks like a human that can survey them. A japanese robot.

Null

Null

I don't know, things involving japanese robots either end very badly, or are awesome but leave entire cities laid to waste.

Jiarn

Why must it be japanese?

Would do just fine.

Null

Null

You'd want a metal Robin Williams watching your kids?

CREEPY.

Hylian

Hylian

Hence I dropped the subject about 6 posts back....

Like that has ever stopped us before?

KCWM

KCWM

OT: Reread your original post from the POV of a stranger. #Solved.
Truth.

At least the situation has been clarified, the points about triviality made, and the subject dropped X posts ago.

Espy said:
And it needs to be a ninja robot so that we can have super secret japanese ninja robot wars that can be captured on the little spy cam and posted to YouTube.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

My brother caught a Nanny slapping his toddler on one of those. So I say screw it, record the babysitter.

Chibibar

jiarn: Since it is your house, it is your rules :) you do whatever you want. We are just internet people respond to an inquiry that you post :)

If it was me, I would be upset later discovering that my parents were spying on me. As an adult, I would have understand NOW, but as a teenager? I probably be rebellious and try to do MORE things to see if I can get away with it. That is what I would do. I can't say for your kids, but that is what I would have done if I discover I was being spy upon.

strawman

strawman

I'd wire up the fridge and pantry with a camera so it would take a picture every time my kid took something out or put it away, then post it on their facebook page and update their status each time. I'd also put a scale in front of the fridge so it would give their weight every time they opened the fridge door. Maybe put the video of them stuffing their gaping maws on youtube.

Boom! No fat kids ever again!

I mean, why not? Just because it can be done means that it *has* to be done!

(personally, if it's important to you, then I don't think there's a problem with you monitoring your kids - you'd be doing it visually when you were at home, so what's the difference when you're not home? But then I'm much more lax than you - honestly it's took much trouble to micromanage them, and if I don't teach them that they need to do it even when I can't tell, then I suspect they will only follow my instructions when I can tell, and I can't be wiring up their friend's houses, the school, and ultimately their home when they move out and have a family of their own...)

-Adam