Export thread

I love/hate my job.

Dave

Dave

I love my job, I really do. I'm mostly my own boss and as long as I get my shit done I can come and go as I please. It's a good gig. Yesterday, though, I finished a large and visible solo project (like a fucking BOSS!) and went to find out what's next.

By September 15 I have to automate a process that - when completed - will literally put someone out of a job. I know it, my boss knows it, her boss knows it...she does not. I feel like shit and hate this. But I have to do it so that I can keep my job.

Sigh.

Jay

Jay

What's her job?

Dave

Dave

She does reporting/analysis for one of our bigger departments. But it's all done by hand and she's not utilizing the systems like she should. They found out that I'm doing the same thing for our department (bigger than hers) and it takes me ~1 hour/day when hers takes ~20-30 hours a week.

So I get to automate her job.

Covar

Covar

At least you don't have to work on automation that will replace your current job.

Perhaps they will find her other work to do in the department?

Dave

Dave

At least you don't have to work on automation that will replace your current job.

Perhaps they will find her other work to do in the department?
Nope. She's gone in September. I was in the meeting which decided it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Consider it practice for later.

[serious comment]That. Sucks.

--Patrick

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

It may suck, but if people are bad at their job, then, well...

PatrThom

PatrThom

Is she good at any other job? One that would be a benefit to the company? If so, it's a waste to delete her. If not, then it is probably a waste not to (from a purely practical pov). It's still unfortunate (unless there has already been a long history of paperwork and other documented coaching).

--Patrick

Math242

Math242

well if she needs 30 hours to do something that can be done in 1 hour, you should not feel bad. It's not your fault, it's hers.

Dave

Dave

She inherited the system. It's just "the way we've always done it".

Emrys

Emrys

Never a good excuse.

Jay

Jay

Life is like that, tech is great and is a great tool but one day, it'll fuck you over.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I've had to do that before, Dave. I've now automated about three jobs in my time here, and put two people out of work. At least here they offered another position to them all; two of them simply chose to retire instead.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

If she can be trained to your system and then put those work hours into something more valuable, the company should do that IMO (assuming they have the need).

Otherwise, unfortunately, it sounds like she's just not providing value, and that is kind of the bare minimum required to work in most places.