I love New Zealand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
One of the things I started doing last September when the first New Zealand earthquake happened was to start listening to news radio from there. The last couple days with the Christchurch earthquake have been interesting and really sad.

But they've started playing commercials again and there's a new one that makes me laugh every time. It's for a CD.

The Best Beer Drinking Songs of All Time - FOR GIRLS!

Something else they always do is the users call in and give like street names...and the DJs know where they are talking about every time!

I so want to go there some time.

fade

Staff member
This morning in my Geology 101 class:

Me: "So I guess you all heard about the quake in New Zealand. Tell me why the quake, while a disaster for the people, was unsurprising."

Class: "What quake?" (200+ students, by the way)

J

Jiarn

Should have asked them what they think of Bieber's new haircut. I'm sure they'd have had an opinion.

I just can't imagine people that go through their day and never listening to or reading news of any substance. Then again I've been a news junkie since I was 6, Cronkite was the MAN.
Added at: 15:51
New Zealand always seems like a beautiful nation, with a culture I could really get into.

J

Jiarn

I know what you mean sixpackshaker, I read CNN, Yahoo and MSN at least 2-3x a day.

The last earthquake was bad enough with all the damage it caused to the historic places that really make up the character and heart of Christchurch, but we were lucky in that it hit at just the right time of the morning so that very few people were in the city. This one however seems to have been the polar opposite.

I spent a weekend down in Christchurch about a year ago and it really was a fantastic city.

I really hope that they can rebuild with the assistance of the rest of the country but sadly I can't imagine that the place will ever be the same again.

The support and assistance that other nations has been providing has been really fantastic

J

Jiarn

Glad to hear you're ok though Kovac, I knew we had someone in the area but wasn't sure how close to the site they were.

Fortunately all of my family live in the North Island. I have one uncle near Christchurch but not close enough to have been in danger.

I'm rather impressed by this move by our ACC minister and the Skeptics Society to discredit Ken Ring (Who claims amoung other things to be able to predict earthquakes)

Nick Smith is the Minister responsible for ACC - but some might say he's just asking to come a cropper.
Smith and the Skeptics Society are planning a lunch in one of Christchurch's highest, oldest, stone buildings - on the day that "moon man" Ken Ring says the city will be hit by another devastating earthquake. Ring's prediction of another earthquake on March 20 - a week today - has caused alarm among some Cantabrians, who have said they will flee the city.

But the minister, who has a doctorate in geotechnical engineering, said he took a very dim view of people causing alarm with no scientific underpinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.