Export thread

I love where I live because....

Dave

Dave

the commute in Omaha is great!

I've lived other places and it took forever to get anywhere. In Omaha you can go from one side of the city to the other in 20 minutes or less, barring weather or accidents.

Jake

Jake

Same here, with the added bonus that it's not Omaha. ;)

Koko

Why do I love San Diego?
Today's forecast:
67 F, "brilliant sunshine and windy"

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Stay classy, Koko.

fade

fade

I don't.

Dave

Dave

I was hoping people would respond like Koko and say why they love where they live. Every place has something good going for it. Except where Fade lives.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

It's -40 in the winter and +40 in the summer. Fuck this place. The only upside is I have an excellent furnace and a passable air conditioner.

I do only live about a 10 minute walk from the detachment so at least I can always walk to work when I want.

makare

I love my hometown. The weather is pretty extreme in both of our seasons Winter and Road Construction but I love it there. I hate living in the town my school is in. The roads are too narrow, you have to drive 20 miles an hour and it is full of college students. I do not like it sam i am.
My hometown is beautiful. I wish I were there.

Shakey

Shakey

I love where I live because of the peace and quiet.

I grew up in the Twin Cities, but as soon as I got out of college I found myself hating the place. By Tuesday I was waiting for the weekend so I could get away and visit my parents who had retired up here.

Things that are great about it:
I can walk out my front door with my dog and wander out into the woods.
I have my own garden
No sirens waking me up at night
No traffic (I'm lucky to see 5 cars on my 20 minute drive to work)
You can see so many stars at night it can make you dizzy staring at them.
I can pee off my porch and not worry about someone seeing me.

Iaculus

Because...

Shannow

Shannow

Snow...and lots of it. I love snow.

Also, college basketball.

General Specific

General Specific

Plenty of Uber-religious types to belittle me for not going to church... no

Incompetent, amoral, and hypocritical state government... no

Apartment complex that has known about a leak in my roof since Novemeber and have not yet fixed it... no

Job that I hate a no prospects for a new one anywhere... no

Highways are in decent shape for easy fleeing... Hey! There's one!

Dave

Dave

I should change this to "I HATE where I live because..."

Shakey

Shakey

Sadly the architecture around here doesn't stack up to Iaculus's.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Snow in the winter, heat in the summer.
Great people, ranging from the Medieval Market cast to sword-class people to delightfully crazy RPers.
A chance of meeting people from all around the world, thanks to the University and Turku being an international port.
The feeling of living in a safe community, even though there's 175,000 people living in here.

General Specific

General Specific

I should change this to "I HATE where I live because..."
Nooooo, I had many more and it'd take me way too long to list them all. South Carolina sucks.

Rob King

Rob King

I love where I live because it has history, and culture. (Well, for a North American city it sure has culture)

It's downsides are that it's isolated and basically impossible weather-wise, but that turns into an upside when you're away, and you can tell people how badass you are.

"You know those motherfuckers, the Vikings?"
"Yeah?"
"Well they tried to live in Newfoundland. It was too hardcore for them, so they turned around and left after one year."
"The hell you say!"
"Oh yeah." *brings them to l'Anse aux Meadows "See? Up and left, like scared little girls."
"And you've lived here ... "
"21 years, yeah."
"Truly, you are badass."

That's how it goes down.

Shannow

Shannow

Great people, ranging from the Medieval Market cast to sword-class people to delightfully crazy RPers.
A chance of meeting people from all around the world, thanks to the University and Turku being an international port.
The feeling of living in a safe community, even though there's 175,000 people living in here.

I wish to move to finland. That area of the world seems nice to me. get me a job.

Hylian

Hylian

I love where I live cause it's only a mile from where i work so I can walk to work and save money on gas. I also love the weather here (yes I love the rain)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Good weather, tasty food, pretty women, one stop sign and one traffic light between me and my office 12 miles away. Not in that order.

fade

fade

I loved Boston and Charleston, SC. Both places I used to live. Lafayette, LA? If you like swamp, mosquitos, and giant, sprawling suburbs with nothing to do, this place is for you.

(Hey, General Specific, you can't beat the housing cost. Still some of the nicest prices in the country.)

Chazwozel

Why do I love San Diego?
Today's forecast:
67 F, "brilliant sunshine and windy"
GO JETS!

rabbitgod

I wish to move to finland. That area of the world seems nice to me. get me a job.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Everything I hear about that place makes me want to move there. Even before I was introduced to the awesomeness that is North Ranger I wanted to visit.

I love my city because of the weird patchwork history, the extensive prehistory, the food, how laid back it is, the weather is fantastic. Plus all my stuff is here.

General Specific

General Specific

(Hey, General Specific, you can't beat the housing cost. Still some of the nicest prices in the country.)
Well, that is a bit true, but I'm currently paying $685/mo. for my 800 sq ft. apartment (the one with the leak in the roof). Only reason I have not yet moved out is my job is going to move to Georgia, but the date keeps getting pushed back. We initially were going to move Q4 2009, then it was pushed back to Jan-Mar, now it is April, and I will not be surprised if April gets closer and they push it back again.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I wish to move to finland. That area of the world seems nice to me. get me a job.[/QUOTE]

Me too. Everything I hear about that place makes me want to move there. Even before I was introduced to the awesomeness that is North Ranger I wanted to visit.

I love my city because of the weird patchwork history, the extensive prehistory, the food, how laid back it is, the weather is fantastic. Plus all my stuff is here.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... Got any marketable skills, the two of you? Walking the earth like Caine from Kung Fu is unfortunately taken by a plethora of bands that roam the stages of Finland...

rabbitgod

I love my city because of the weird patchwork history, the extensive prehistory, the food, how laid back it is, the weather is fantastic. Plus all my stuff is here.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... Got any marketable skills, the two of you? Walking the earth like Caine from Kung Fu is unfortunately taken by a plethora of bands that roam the stages of Finland...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty good at eating. Anything in the stuffing your face department?

Wasabi Poptart

San Diego? Yeah, I can't think of too much I like here other than there are plenty of parks where I can take my son. A few of them are actually safe, clean and not overrun with sleeping homeless people or drug dealers.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I like where I live b/c cost of living is low, we've been fairly shielded from the financial fallout, college football is king, most folks are friendly/helpful, and there's a growing biotech sector.

Shannow

Shannow

Hmm... Got any marketable skills, the two of you? Walking the earth like Caine from Kung Fu is unfortunately taken by a plethora of bands that roam the stages of Finland...
Curses. Well, I do have a communications degree with a focus in media relations, experiecne running the gammut from retail store to warehouse loader, to radio production and also on air dj work in a major metropolitan area, telecommunications and office work...and shit, even accounting. Any of that doable, since walking the earth is out of the equation.

Jake

Jake

Nashville has a fair amount of character, and not just the country music stuff. I like having all the trappings of city life, but be able to reach the country in 15 minutes. I can even hit backpacking trails in 45 minutes. Cost of living is very reasonable and the local economy didn't get hit too hard (not surprising, as health care is a big industry here).

There could be more science jobs, but I'm getting by.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Because i can steal anything and get away with it most of the time?! Also, i'm getting free net access, that's something.

Wasabi Poptart

Nashville has a fair amount of character, and not just the country music stuff. I like having all the trappings of city life, but be able to reach the country in 15 minutes. I can even hit backpacking trails in 45 minutes. Cost of living is very reasonable and the local economy didn't get hit too hard (not surprising, as health care is a big industry here).

I really liked Nashville when I visited about 6 or 7 years ago. It didn't feel like a city, if that makes any sense.

Calleja

Calleja

I'm trying to move to Mexico City but it's harder than you'd think. I still like my hometown somewhat even though there's not much to do. Nice, safe place.

Oh yeah, and it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You want history?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Querétaro

WolfOfOdin

Ahhhh Newark....

I haven't seen the sun in forever, my apartment's windows are barred to keep out the crack heads and I have a gun in my night-stand.

I live in a Dickensian wonderland

ElJuski

ElJuski

I guess we have the tallest statue of abraham lincoln or something I guess I mean I don't know Charleston is kinda blah.

But we DO have Chubby's!

ElJuski

ElJuski

and, uh, bananahands, uh I guess

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I love where I live because the police in the surrounding 100mile area are complete idiots with no real skills at tracking down crime or it's criminals.

Cog

Cog

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king". That's me. On my carreer, Probably I'm not very good by other places standards, but I have no real competition here. And that's why I still have my job.

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

I love South Carolina. Sorry you don't GS. What part do you live in? Between the Upstate, Midlands and the Low Country the area can change so much.

nufan

ahh crime and boasting what a wacky pair

I love where I live because...
I can walk to the beach
It's not where I grew up
The whales are hot
Public transit actually gets me to work
I can step over bums and not care and not feel bad about it

General Specific

General Specific

I love South Carolina. Sorry you don't GS. What part do you live in? Between the Upstate, Midlands and the Low Country the area can change so much.
Midlands, Lexington to be exact.

Edit: and yeah, everyone I speak to that lives around here, hates it. People who live upstate and in the low country generally seem to like it. Seems the further you get from Columbia, the less it sucks.

Philosopher B.

I love Jersey because ... wait, lemme think a minute ...

Covar

Covar

I love where I live because it's the better of the Carolinas. We have crazy weather with nice beaches and passable mountains, and I'm equal distance from both. Traffic is manageable if you know what you're doing. Did I mention it's not SC?

fade

fade

Edit: and yeah, everyone I speak to that lives around here, hates it. People who live upstate and in the low country generally seem to like it. Seems the further you get from Columbia, the less it sucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I grew up around GS. Lived there from birth to 18. I didn't care much for it. The land can be beautiful, but the people.... insular, close-minded, and lacking all of that mythical Southern hospitality.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I have 4 seasons, everything is cheap, NHL and NFL. Sounds good to me.

Jake

Jake

I really liked Nashville when I visited about 6 or 7 years ago. It didn't feel like a city, if that makes any sense.[/QUOTE]
A friend of mine interviewed for a job at Vanderbilt a few years ago and we hung out at the bar/restaurant/shopping area nearby. She accepted the job and moved a here a few months later and we took her downtown to celebrate. She got a huge WTF look on her face when we got amidst the skyline buildings and all the neon of lower Broadway. She had thought the little district near campus was downtown. :lol:

Wasabi Poptart

I love Jersey because ... wait, lemme think a minute ...
Honestly, I never thought I'd miss my hometown in southern NJ but I do. It was small, in the woods, I was related to almost everyone (queue the banjo music), and full of backwards rednecks, but I would love to live there again one day.

fade

fade

Lafayette's like that, too. I lived here about 8 months before I realized there was a real downtown with tall buildings and everything. The focus of the city, so to speak, has moved completely across town.

Bonhomme Richard

Bonhomme Richard

Edit: and yeah, everyone I speak to that lives around here, hates it. People who live upstate and in the low country generally seem to like it. Seems the further you get from Columbia, the less it sucks.[/QUOTE]Bingo. I grew up in Columbia (Northeast specifically) and couldn't wait to get out of there. The bookends of the state seem to have much better scenery and things to do than the Midlands. You should spend a weekend or two in Greenville There's a good chance you'd enjoy it.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

... I can drive for 10 minutes and be in a National Forest, have decently safe schools for my daughter, never too much on the extremes of weather (with the exception of heat, buy hey, I can deal with 100f summers for mild winters) and it's close enough to metro areas to get to them, but not so close that they bother me.

Zumbo Prime

I can drive a minute and a half and be in wine country.

Baerdog

Baerdog

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Oh, I get to see cows, horses and wild deer nearly every day. That just does something to settle me down.

Jake

Jake

Oh, I get to see cows, horses and wild deer nearly every day. That just does something to settle me down.
Whereas it gets Pojodan all excited.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

*insert blushing Elvis.

Calleja

Calleja

No, no, the blushing elvis is for Iaculus/Icarus things

LordRavage

I love New York city because it is never boring.

I hate New York city because it is never boring.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I do not. Oakville is a stinktown. I'm only here because of school.

This town has my college in it, but it is by no means a college town. Its a town of yuppies, and was built very much with yuppies in mind. Tanning beds and nail salons, and pretty much nothing else.

Luckily my program is busy enough that I don't get driven insane by the envirnoment, as I spend 90% of my time chained to my desk in the studio anyway!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

.[/QUOTE]
.....we've got lots of wineries. There's over 30 just in Niagra. Sometimes South Park's jokes don't make any sense at all to me.

Deschain

Guns everywhere. And it is hot.

Ross

Ross

I enjoy Raleigh because it's a good deal warmer (15F warmer on average during Fall, Winter and Spring) than my previous homes in NY, and I hate snow. Unlike Shannow, I wanted to LEAVE Upstate NY because of the snow. I grew up in an area that got 120" of snow per year... Raleigh averages 7.5" per year.

My area is also a newly-developed upper-middle class neighborhood, with a bunch of stores and restaurants and such within a 5-minute drive. The convenience is great.

However, I find the road system where I live to suck balls. In NY, all of the stop lights were "smart lights," in which they could sense when a car is in a certain lane at the intersection, and change the lights when needed to make traffic flow more smoothly. The lights also communicated with each other to keep traffic flowing. If Raleigh had this technology installed, a 20-minute trip would only take about 12-14 minutes. The timing of the lights SUCKS.

Out of the places I've lived so far, I think Albany, NY is still my favorite. Colder and snowier than Raleigh, but I just felt more at ease and comfortable in the NY lifestyle.

Shadazz

It's not usually 42 degrees Celsius (107 Fahrenheit) like today. If it was like this often, I'd be dead.

Twitch

Guns

Dave

Dave

It's not usually 42 degrees Celsius (107 Fahrenheit) like today. If it was like this often, I'd be dead.
Wow! But it's a dry heat? I keep forgetting it's your summer down there. How cold does it get during your winters?

Covar

Covar

I enjoy Raleigh because it's a good deal warmer (15F warmer on average during Fall, Winter and Spring) than my previous homes in NY, and I hate snow. Unlike Shannow, I wanted to LEAVE Upstate NY because of the snow. I grew up in an area that got 120" of snow per year... Raleigh averages 7.5" per year.

My area is also a newly-developed upper-middle class neighborhood, with a bunch of stores and restaurants and such within a 5-minute drive. The convenience is great.

However, I find the road system where I live to suck balls. In NY, all of the stop lights were "smart lights," in which they could sense when a car is in a certain lane at the intersection, and change the lights when needed to make traffic flow more smoothly. The lights also communicated with each other to keep traffic flowing. If Raleigh had this technology installed, a 20-minute trip would only take about 12-14 minutes. The timing of the lights SUCKS.

Out of the places I've lived so far, I think Albany, NY is still my favorite. Colder and snowier than Raleigh, but I just felt more at ease and comfortable in the NY lifestyle.
I'm surprised Raleigh isn't a "smarter city" yet considering IBM's presence in the area

Vagabond

V.Bond

There's no need for a car most of the year.

All the perks of Washington, D.C. without actually having to live there.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology is right in the middle of the city. That does nothing for me just thought it was kind of interesting or something.

redapples

I'm trying to move to Mexico City but it's harder than you'd think. I still like my hometown somewhat even though there's not much to do. Nice, safe place.

Oh yeah, and it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You want history?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Querétaro
I live in a World Heritage site too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Lanark you can see my house in the photo at the top of the page. I live on the Clyde with a nature reserve on my doorstep. Safe for kids, small school (60 kids 4 in my daughters year), close to a town and less than a hour to two major cities (and two more minor ones). We have 10 houses on our street so there is a nice community feel to it. When the gutters got damaged by the thawing snow a few of us helped put em back up. That kinda thing never happened when I lived in the cities.

Docseverin

Docseverin

Hawaii....

Dave

Dave

Hawaii....
I don't know whether to cry because you are in Hawaii or laugh because of the cost of living you endure.

Unless you are on base and get free room, board AND COLA. Then I'm crying again.

Shadazz

Wow! But it's a dry heat? I keep forgetting it's your summer down there. How cold does it get during your winters?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, there's absolutely no humidity whatsoever. There's a lot of people in hospital right now from heatstroke.
Uhh, right where I live about 3 degrees, 37.4 for you. Not too bad. It doesn't snow here though, never ever seen snow in my life. :(

Dave

Dave

Wow! But it's a dry heat? I keep forgetting it's your summer down there. How cold does it get during your winters?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, there's absolutely no humidity whatsoever. There's a lot of people in hospital right now from heatstroke.
Uhh, right where I live about 3 degrees, 37.4 for you. Not too bad. It doesn't snow here though, never ever seen snow in my life. :([/QUOTE]

I've never seen Australia so we're even.

Docseverin

Docseverin

Cry Dave cry. I found an apartment for $1200 and my BAH is $1700 Plus my base pay and $500 COLA. Soon to be re-added to that amount will be my Hazardous duty pay and hostile fire pay!

JCM

Brasilia - Besides Sao Paolo, its the only place where I can get an iPhone or PS3 for less than R$1,900 (thats like a thousand %^$# dollars, blame our import tax)

Dave

Dave

Cry Dave cry. I found an apartment for $1200 and my BAH is $1700 Plus my base pay and $500 COLA. Soon to be re-added to that amount will be my Hazardous duty pay and hostile fire pay!
Wow! Not bad, dude! $1700 BAH for Hawaii, huh? Hope you're not in Maui as in 2010 that actually goes DOWN to $1548 as an E-5 with no dependents. Honolulu stays about the same.

Good for you, man. I'm glad my taxes are going to something worthy for a change.

Wasabi Poptart

Honestly, it almost makes me glad my husband will probably be deployed at least once while we're in HI. I hate having him gone, but the money is sweet. And at least this time around he shouldn't be put on mefloquine so I won't get phone calls from a crazed paranoid insomniac.

Krisken

Krisken

Hm. I love where I live because it has all 4 seasons. Winter is rightly cold. Summer is hot. Spring is wet and green. Fall is gorgeous with the hills being covered with golds and oranges, broken by the green of pines. Glaciers left the area hilly.

Most of all, I notice the smells. Summer here smells like no where else. A sweetness in the air from the pine trees and other plants can not be matched.

Anywho, that is some of why I love Wisconsin. Not for everyone, but it's home to me.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Uhh, right where I live about 3 degrees, 37.4 for you. Not too bad. It doesn't snow here though, never ever seen snow in my life. :([/QUOTE]

I can relate, I lived an hour north of San Diego in California. SD was hot, but Murrieta gets to 105+ F in the summer, totally dry heat. It's in a basin too, so we get these lovely Santa Ana winds which are also hot.

As for Atlanta (which is where I am now), it's alright. I don't know a lot of people since 90% of the folks working at the deli don't speak a lot of English and I'm not in school, but the weather has been nice this week I guess. 60ish F and overcast. There's a good selection of pubs, at least.

makare

True to my word, I wrote about why I love South Dakota. However, I blogged it to save space.

http://blog.thestateofconfusion.us/?p=53

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hm. I love where I live because it has all 4 seasons..
You're lucky. Our seasons are hot and wet, unbearably hot and wet, slightly less hot and rainy, and traffic accidents due to people panicking over ice

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Austin is awesome. We have movie theaters where you can drink cocktails with dedicated ushers that have never failed to eject people before they cause a problem. We have bats. Huge college town. It's gonna be 75 today in January. No natural disasters (except halloween on 6th street). The least-Texas city in the whole Southwest. An awesome live music scene (that I don't participate in enough), and ridiculously awesome food. Right in the middle of the shitty big cities of Texas, if you just have to visit somewhere with over a million people.

Chazwozel

Austin is awesome. We have movie theaters where you can drink cocktails with dedicated ushers that have never failed to eject people before they cause a problem. We have bats. Huge college town. It's gonna be 75 today in January. No natural disasters (except halloween on 6th street). The least-Texas city in the whole Southwest. An awesome live music scene (that I don't participate in enough), and ridiculously awesome food. Right in the middle of the shitty big cities of Texas, if you just have to visit somewhere with over a million people.

Wow I would not imagine Austin to be like that at all. <making a note to visit>

fade

fade

Oh yeah. When I lived in TX, I called austin "the little blue island in the middle of a big red sea".

Jake

Jake

Austin is indeed awesome, but it really would be like moving to an island in the middle of nowhere.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And San Antonio is just around the corner. It's a great town to have a party, but I would not want to live there.