[Question] I need a new keyboard: Is Razer worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The keyboard I'm using is dying on me. It has served me well for years, but over the last six months or so, it's started causing some problems. Keys that don't register unless I hit them multiple times, delays between hitting a key and seeing the result... If I attach another keyboard, however, everything is hunky-dory. So, I suspect this poor thing is the issue.

Anyway, rather than buy a cheap $20 replacement, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations. I've seen a lot of people who like Razer, and I'm told that a mechanical keyboard is preferable in terms of longevity. I already own a Razer mouse, but I got it for free. I am happy with it, I suppose, but I am curious if anyone has any experience with their keyboards and if they're worth the money.
Added at: 15:17
One thing that annoys me is the difference between these two:

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.235197900/categoryId.35156900 and http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.235228400/categoryId.35156900

is all of 4 points in the former:
1) Extreme anti-ghosting capability
2) Individually backlit keys with 5 levels of lighting
3) Audio-Out / Mic-In Jacks
4) USB-Passthrough

and yet there's a $60 price discrepancy. This makes me feel like even the cheaper keyboard is overpriced. Of course, maybe backlighting and anti-ghosting is expensive to implement, I don't know.

I'm using a steelseries 7g keyboard right now, and I like it a lot. Nice and responsive, covers 1, 3 and 4 on your list, though it isn't backlit. I know a couple people who have Razer boards and really like them as well, so I don't think you'd go wrong by buying one.

Something to keep in mind that may or may not matter to you - mechanical keyboards are quite a bit louder than non-mechanical, and can be very annoying to anyone else in earshot. They're going to be hearing every keystroke.

If you want to see a basic guide explaining some of the advantages, different models, stuff like that for mechanical keyboads, this is pretty helpful.

The other thing I like about both of the Razer keyboards is the six exta macro keys, which aren't on most other keyboards. I think I'd make good use of those. As to the noise, I am particularly looking at the "stealth" editions of the Razer boards, which have reduced noise. I appreciate the input though, and the keyboards recommended. I'll do some more research into them (some of which seem to have a 'silent' version also).

Oh is that what the stealth is?

I have a regular Razer Black Widow keyboard and I love it. It is not quiet though. At all. It feels fucking fantastic to use. I recommend it.

Honestly I've used Razer in the past and I always go back to Logitech products. Still using the G5 mouse and G15 keyboard.

If Logitech would get off their asses and make a mechanical version of their gaming keyboard, I'ma pass. I can't go back to normal keyboards.

Best part about Das Keyboard is they sell ear plugs.
Multi-use and comfortable earplugs for co-workers or significant others of Das Keyboard Professional or Ultimate users. As Das Keyboard can be one of the loudest, clickiest keyboard on the planet, the plugs are designed to quiet office hostility by allowing Das Keyboard users to present them as a peace offering to their neighbors. The plugs may also prove handy at NASCAR races, the shooting range, or at 3 a.m. when your spouse is snoring uncontrollably

Status
Not open for further replies.