Export thread

I need advice.

Cog

Cog

Thanks Calleja for the translation.

You'll remember that some time ago I mentioned on the forum I might lose my job. Well, it's happened, I'm unemployed. And I'm at a crossroads.

On the one side, my former superior (who gave me the job in the first place and was also replaced) was offered the same position in another city (45 minutes away) and has vehemently asked me to go work with him. The pay is less, there's much more to do and, even worse, they won't be able to pay me at first, but he's offered to pay from his own pocket because my help would be indispensable. But I'm more interested in being able to implement my system somewhere else since I was trapped doing sofware maintenance and the sort at my old job.

On the other side, thanks to my father's intervention, who spoke with acquaintances of his in the new Mayor's group, has managed to keep me in the same position in this city. The problem is that in my interview they made quite an emphasis on "loyalty to their group", and that makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm also not comfortable with having a position "by obligation" and not really because of my talents and experience. The salary is better but it's a boring job.

So you see I not only need advice in what to do, but also in how to explain to these people that I won't be taking them up in their option because I owe a lot to my former boss, and I don't want to make my father look bad.

Even when I have a job my life seems complicated.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I need advise.

I need advise.
And you came here?

Well, you should certainly let your father know you appreciate what he was trying to do to you.

The essay-side of me thinks the emphasis on "loyalty to the group" would be a good focal point, since that's essentially what you're showing: your loyalty. It's just not loyalty to them, instead it's loyalty to your former boss.

However, this may come off as being smartass and would not help your father. But thematically, it makes sense. I honestly have no idea how you would turn them down without making your father look bad, but that's kind of the limb you go on when you recommend someone.

Rubicon

I need advise.

if you're getting a job with a politician like a mayor and they want "loyalty to the group", you are going to be in their pocket. a straw man for whatever they want you to do in this position. it'll be all smiles and handshakes now but there may come a time where you have to do something or make a choice that goes against the will of their collective.

i'd say, go with option 1. less money and security yea but much more freedom in the long run.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I need advise.

He already decided what he's going for, which is option 1. He's asking for advice on how to turn down option 2 (the mayor) with an explanation of what he owes his former employer while not making his father look bad, since he is the one who helped him to get option 2.

I'd insert a reading the whole post thing into this, but someone just did that to me unjustly and I know that it can leave emotional scars. :(

Steve

Steve

I need advise.

First, explain this to your dad and let him know what you plan to do and then politely decline the position as you have already accepted another position. Be thankful they were going to take you and try not to burn that bridge.

In regards to the second job I don't think the loyalty thing is as big an issue as you might think it would be. Any new administration is going to want to know the people they have working for them support them. Basically they are saying "we don't want you bad mouthing us." And the job by obligation is no big deal. So what if someone put a good word in for you? If you are talented you prove yourself after you get in the door instead of before.

Either job would be good, both have positve and negative aspects. But I'd be worried about job 1's boss having to pay you out of his own pocket. My concern would be they get you in the door, use you to build their program and then once complete cut you due to budget constraints. Good luck either way.

Cog

Cog

I need advise.

I haven't made a desicion. My former boss is a good friend of mine and have all the support from the mayor of the other city and I don't know how to say to him that I will not take his job offer is I decide to do so.

escushion said:
I need advise.
And you came here?
Why not? Most people I know only tell me "Do what you think is best", but all of you don't know me, you can be imparcial.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I need advise.

So you see I not only need advice in what to do, but also in how to explain to these people that I won't be taking them up in their option because I owe a lot to my former boss, and I don't want to make my father look bad.
I see what you have there, but the majority of that makes it sound like you've made up your mind to decline the position opened by your father's effect.

Personally, option 1 sounds unstable. Stuff isn't set up yet, more work for less pay, and how long will your boss be able to pay out of his own pocket? How much is it going to set him back, even as he says they need you. Option 2 sounds more safe, and I consider starving to be worse than being bored.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I need advise.

Cog said:

You'll remember that some time ago I mentioned on the forum I might lose my job. Well, it's happened, I'm unemployed. And I'm at a crossroads.

On the one side, my former superior (who gave me the job in the first place and was also replaced) was offered the same position in another city (45 minutes away) and has vehemently asked me to go work with him. The pay is less, there's much more to do and, even worse, they won't be able to pay me at first, but he's offered to pay from his own pocket because my help would be indispensable. But I'm more interested in being able to implement my system somewhere else since I was trapped doing sofware maintenance and the sort at my old job.

On the other side, thanks to my father's intervention, who spoke with acquaintances of his in the new Mayor's group, has managed to keep me in the same position in this city. The problem is that in my interview they made quite an emphasis on "loyalty to their group", and that makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm also not comfortable with having a position "by obligation" and not really because of my talents and experience. The salary is better but it's a boring job.

It's "advice".

Glad I could help. :smug:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I need advise.

Shegokigo said:
Cog said:

It's "advice".

Glad I could help. :smug:
Ladies and gentleman, that's Shego!

strawman

strawman

It's an interesting situation, but you don't give us enough information to make any suggestions.

You've got a few things to think about when deciding which route to take. The following are some things to consider, but aren't in any particular order - you might want to order them yourself to find out which are most important to you:

1. How much you make (ie, can you support yourself, be happy financially)
2. Stability (is the job going to be there in the immediate and far future)
3. Enjoyment (are you going to enjoy the work you'll have)
4. Later opportunities (will the job, or the people it is attached to, take you places you want to go)
5. Advancement (does the job give you experience/skills you want/need, or does it offer a ladder to the next higher position)
6. Stress (is the job pretty even, or are their unpredictable periods of stress)
7. Benefits (health, dental, disability, etc)
8. Requirements (dress, driving distance, customer interaction)

There are many others, but those are some important ones. Write down what each job means for each item above, and then weigh everything and see which job comes out on top. You might be surprised how you feel about both jobs once you've done this.

-Adam

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Advice:

A Wiseman said:
Never masterbate with a sandpaper glove.

Never run backwards through a cornfield naked.

Never ask the Mormon church why the statue of Brigham Young has his back to the temple and his hand out to the bank.
As for advice on your problem, the only thing I can say is to look hard at what is most likely to lead you to where you want to be ten years down the line. Then, no matter what the answer is, explain to people that that is your deciding factor.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Thread Necromancer said:
[quote="A Wiseman":3s1mqb3z]

Never ask the Mormon church why the statue of Brigham Young has his back to the temple and his hand out to the bank.
[/quote:3s1mqb3z]
:rofl: :rofl: :thumbsup:

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I'll take the job from your dad if you don't want it, I've been out of work since March

Cog

Cog

You don't want to be here. Trust me.