Export thread

I would like to publicly apologize

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

That last like 5-10 minute outage? That was me, apparently. Out of curiousity I wanted to see if my auto-refresh addon, set to refresh every second would make me obscenely wealthy with my 1HB per view. Apparently it won't do that, but it will break the server.

I swear I was doing this out of curiousity and not some mad avarice. Anyways the forums went down right after I started trying this so I thought it might be and PM'd Dave who confirmed it.

I sent apology Halbucks to him just for guilt and greed. Oh dear. I feel bad but also strangely empowered. FOR I CAN BRING DOWN THE FORUM! BWAHAHAHAHA!

makare

Your new found power turns me on.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Jeez, since they've become not automatically shown, I've stopped caring about them completely. I did, apparently, have enough to change my name.

phil

phil

I spend 15k on getting underworld and the knife thing so I could steal better only to remember that THEY TOOK AWAY STEALING

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

As an ordained minister from the holy openministry.org I think you need to do 5 Hail Mary's

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Hold on a moment, I think I have the pillory somewhere in the back...

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I spend 15k on getting underworld and the knife thing so I could steal better only to remember that THEY TOOK AWAY STEALING
Yeah the only way to make money now is by posting or by being fantastically wealthy and living off the interest.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Yeah the only way to make money now is by posting or by being fantastically wealthy and living off the interest.
You can also get Halbucks from rating threads.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So now we all know how to shut the forum down...

Covar

Covar

umm, Dave you might want to see why a single machine refreshing a page every second is enough to DoS the server.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

umm, Dave you might want to see why a single machine refreshing a page every second is enough to DoS the server.
This. Sounds like the rack is held together with bailing wire and bubble gum.

Dave

Dave

It somehow locked the DB in a loop and wouldn't clear. Do that a couple hundred times and you have a bad thing. Basically it was throwing a bajillion queries simultaneously at the system. I knew the View/Viewed would cause a bit of a hit but I had no idea how bad it would be.