Export thread

i09: 10 things you didn't know about Empire Strikes Back

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

It's interesting, just from those tidbits, to see just how different - and worse, IMO - that the movie could have been...

Fun Size

Fun Size

Buffy? Who would believe in a hero named Buffy? Boy, that was a close save.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It's interesting, just from those tidbits, to see just how different - and worse, IMO - that the movie could have been...
We got to see how much worse they could have been, in the Prequels.

coolsteel

Sounds like Han was supposed to be much more of a dick

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Lucas considered having a scene where Luke's face gets injured. Mark Hamill was injured in a car accident in 1977, and his face had to be reconsctructed — so for a while, George Lucas planned on including a sequence where Luke's face is damaged, and we see it getting patched up by a droid. This got as far as filming — there's a set picture showing the droid bandaging Luke's face — but was cut out of the movie.
They DID include a scene where Luke's face gets injured in order to explain Mark Hamil's new scar. That was why he gets slashed by the wampa at the beginning of the movie.

Edited because I had a brain fart and wrote bantha.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Aw, man, I wish there was footage of the Miss Piggy scene.

Null

Null

That fits in with the Empire-era Luke and droids doing an appearance on The Muppet Show.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Miss Piggy karate chops the emperor. War's over.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

You know, all I get from reading those could-have-beens is that Star Wars would have been a damn cookie-cutter fantasy film with blasters instead of swords. Quick, somebody bankrupt George Lucas so he'll go back making good movies!

@Li3n

@Li3n

Vader wasn't Luke's father at first. In Leigh Brackett's first script draft, Luke meets his real dad, who says he sent away Luke and his secret sister for their own safety. (Luke's sister has been training to be a Jedi knight in secret, just as Luke has.) And Papa Skywalker administers the oath of a Jedi Knight to Luke, in which Ben, Minch, Anakin and Luke cross lightsabers, and Luke swears to "dedicate my life to the cause of freedom and justice."
Anyone remember the argument i had with JCM over this... man, was that epic.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Ha, i like how someone in the comments said that if Vader wasn't Luke's dad then the prequels might have been better... while giving more options about who would end up as Vader and maybe a better main character in the form of Luke's dad i doubt anything could have saved the prequels from Lucas' unlimited creative control...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Vader wasn't Luke's father at first. In Leigh Brackett's first script draft, Luke meets his real dad, who says he sent away Luke and his secret sister for their own safety. (Luke's sister has been training to be a Jedi knight in secret, just as Luke has.) And Papa Skywalker administers the oath of a Jedi Knight to Luke, in which Ben, Minch, Anakin and Luke cross lightsabers, and Luke swears to "dedicate my life to the cause of freedom and justice."
Anyone remember the argument i had with JCM over this... man, was that epic.
It was a misdirection campaign...

Doesn't Vader mean Father?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Miss Piggy rules:

It was a misdirection campaign...

Doesn't Vader mean Father?
Did Lucas ever know Dutch anyway?!

Plus, as i pointed out to JCM, the name Darth Vader and variations of it showed up in drafts before New Hope that also had Luke's father etc.

Heck, for all we know someone might have found out that Vader = father in dutch and that's how the whole thing came about.

And those drafts weren't for the public anyway...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But his drafts of Empire that went out to the actors did not have the Father scene in it. Lucas, Kirchner(sp), and Hamill where the only ones that knew what Vader was saying on the catwalk. And Hamill only knew a few minutes before he screamed "NNNnOOOOoooOOOooOOOOo..."

Matt²

But his drafts of Empire that went out to the actors did not have the Father scene in it. Lucas, Kirchner(sp), and Hamill where the only ones that knew what Vader was saying on the catwalk. And Hamill only knew a few minutes before he screamed "NNNnOOOOoooOOOooOOOOo..."

yeah I'd love to see the Miss Piggy scene too! :D

@Li3n

@Li3n

And that was the final draft...

And we all know that story, so why would someone lie about it in a book?!

And i was referring to the drafts for A New Hope, or The Star Wars as they called it once...

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The entire process was made up as he went along, or at least he is notoriously inconsistent in his interviews over the past 35 years.

KCWM

KCWM

I think this shows how cool the prequels could have been had Lucas not had such a heavy hand in making them.