Export thread

If you sell me a house...

strawman

strawman

... and I find that you've used grout instead of caulk to seal the tub to the walls, I will beat you to within an inch of your life.

:mad:

I will let you heal, then send you to Shego with a wad of cash big enough to purchase all the power tools at home depot and a few industrial tools and do with you as she pleases.

That is all.

-Adam

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Oh lord... are you serious??!?!

Andromache

you'd think the home inspection and appraisal might have caught that?

strawman

strawman

Yeah. It was quite annoying.

Fortunately the hard part is done - I'll be applying the caulk later today.

-Adam

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

you'd think the home inspection and appraisal might have caught that?
It looks the same, and old hardened (cheap) caulk often feels like grout to the touch, so a normal inspection might not have caught it. We've had the house for 5 years now, and I'm just getting to re-caulking the bathrom.

The one silver lining is that the grout job wasn't done very well, and I was able to chip most of it out more easily than expected with a bit of elbow grease. The hard part is scraping grout off the tub surface and the bottom of the tiles where it stuck particularly well. The rest of the grout (between the tiles, etc) looks ok. The grout I removed is obviously applied long after the tiles were set, so I'm not worried that the poor grouting job extends to the rest of the tiles.

-Adam

Andromache

was anyone hurt?

strawman

strawman

was anyone hurt?
Nope. I even avoid injury ripping it out. At worst the water may have seeped behind the tiles and damaged wood, but the tub does appear to have a lip beyond the tiles, so even that damage would be very limited.

-Adam

Andromache

so if you haven't already you might want another inspection just to see if anything else was missed. Just in case?

Espy

Espy

Ouch. That hurts man.

D

Dubyamn

I really haven't worked with Caulk all that much other than to fix a few leaks.

Why is using grout instead of caulk so bad? Does it not seal as well?

Andromache

grout causes all kinds of nasty problems with cracking if anything is moved

strawman

strawman

I really haven't worked with Caulk all that much other than to fix a few leaks.

Why is using grout instead of caulk so bad? Does it not seal as well?
It's brittle, so you can't use it between two surfaces that aren't firmly attached.

It's meant to be 20-50 years permanent, so it's very difficult to remove without also damaging the surfaces it's attached to.

Caulk is flexible, and thus only has a lifespan of about 5 years, but it is much more easily removed.

-Adam

Cuyval Dar

There is a penis joke somewhere in this thread.

ThatNickGuy

Heh heh. Caulk.

*insert relevant Penny Arcade strip*

Jake

Jake

As a veteran of two bathroom DIY renovations, it's easy to see why you use caulk over grout. I actually did a little experiment by grouting a couple of inches of the tile/tub interface before caulking. First time you and a little water are in the tub, the grout cracks.

Also, it's awesome that you can now buy gritty caulk in a variety of colors. Mine looks exactly like the dark beige grout I used on the tile.