Export thread

Impromptu Additional August Contest

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

So, I just recieved a very belated birthday gift in the mail from my sister and her family. Really nice picture frame, complete with great picture of me and my niece.

The other gift, though, was something that...well, I don't really need. It's a box set of a number of Marvel's live action movies. I either already own them - on BluRay, no less - or plan on buying them or...in the case of Elektra and X-Men 3, just plain 'ol don't want.

BUT, that's not going to stop me from putting this set to good use. Rather than sell it for a couple of bucks, I'm going to run a little contest of my own.

This is for the artists among us. I need a new, awesome forum avatar. And someone negative rep'd me for no longer having a Superman avatar. So, here's how you win...

How to Win: Draw a picture of me in a Superman-related style. This could be an homage to another Superman cover or something totally different. Go nuts. Just, you know, something clean and classy that'd make a good avatar.

If you need reference: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

OR

Draw a picture of the main character of my current novel: The Armadillo! Picture a five-foot-nothing mutant nine-banded armadillo who looks...well, like an armadillo standing on its hind legs, wearing a trenchcoat and fedora. His ears poke through cut-out holes in the fedora. He also has a gun he calls the Daymaker (of the "go ahead, make my..." variety) that others call The Clint, The Eastwood or the "Oh sweet leaping Jesus, don't shoot me with that! I'll talk!" He totally acts like Bogart, smoking a cigarillo and all. Real surly, pulp detective kinda guy.

Reference, of course: http://www.larryditto.com/gallery/a...ormal_nine-banded-armadillo-2_Larry_Ditto.jpg

The Prize: The Marvel Heroes DVD box set. Includes the following movies: X-Men 1-3, Daredevil (Director's Cut), Fantastic Four 1-2, Elektra. Also includes a DVD of the first bunch of episodes of the most recent Fantastic Four cartoon, as well as a CD of digital comics. Unopened, so brand new.

Judges: Myself, naturally. Maybe someone else, such as Dave or Cajun, will volunteer to help judge.

phil

phil

Impromtu Additional August Contest

I'll PM you with where to send it.

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah, leave those of us with no drawing talent out of it, why don't you? JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER CONTEST AROUND HERE! :humph:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dude, I can't draw either. Which is why I'm having the contest. :p

But yeah, it sucks to be a non-artist. :( What else do you suggest?

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

[I'll PM you with where to send it.
Let's...uh...let's let some others have a crack at it first, eh?

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah?

Well... uh... it's spelled impromPtu!! SO THERE! HA!

phil

phil

hehehehehehe, you said "eh"

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah?

Well... uh... it's spelled impromPtu!! SO THERE! HA!
Pfft. Yeah, that's how I spelled it. Man, you gotta lay off the marijuana. :p

Philosopher B.

Hmmm, think I'll have a crack at this tomorrow. Or today. I'm about to go to bed at 6:00 a.m. :eek:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, leave those of us with no drawing talent out of it, why don't you? JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER CONTEST AROUND HERE! :humph:
You're whining when you could be cooking something for the official August contest! You don't even have to draw the food first... I mean... unless you wanted to, I guess. :p

Chibibar

You're whining when you could be cooking something for the official August contest! You don't even have to draw the food first... I mean... unless you wanted to, I guess. :p[/QUOTE]

wait I have to draw food first (correction my wife does) and I just make them into cookies, cakes, and cupcakes! :)

Dave

Dave

Welcome to my world, Nick. I give away free shit and people complain that my contests suck or leave them out. *looks at Calleja*

Of course, he also think there's nothing west of Acapulco...

Cajungal

Cajungal

You're whining when you could be cooking something for the official August contest! You don't even have to draw the food first... I mean... unless you wanted to, I guess. :p[/QUOTE]

wait I have to draw food first (correction my wife does) and I just make them into cookies, cakes, and cupcakes! :)[/QUOTE]

D'ah, I forgot about your beautiful baking! Man, this contest is gonna be interesting.

Chibibar

wait I have to draw food first (correction my wife does) and I just make them into cookies, cakes, and cupcakes! :)[/QUOTE]

D'ah, I forgot about your beautiful baking! Man, this contest is gonna be interesting.[/QUOTE]

well I am going to try for a full course meal with dessert :) I have to design it and make it. Of course my wife would be more than happen to eat it :)

there are several great cooks here on the forum. I get hungry when some of y'all start talking about food :)

Calleja

Calleja

Welcome to my world, Nick. I give away free shit and people complain that my contests suck or leave them out. *looks at Calleja*

Of course, he also think there's nothing west of Acapulco...
The only contest I've been able to participate in is the World Cup pool, where I was THIS CLOSE from winning. All other contests don't ever come into my demographic... I mean, cooking, seriously? Do you WANT me to burn down my house?

Oh, and also

THERE'S NOTHING FLOATING WEST OF ACAPULCO, DAMMIT!!!!!

phil

phil

The superhero contest was so easy that Phil B could BLOW MY ENTRIES OUT OF THE WATER!

STILL BITTER!

(j/k)

on topic though, Day 2 and so far? Things are coming up Phil 'round here.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Still nothing? You disappoint me, Halforum.

phil

phil

:smug:

I got this in the bag.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Give me a couple of days, I haven't been on the forum much and some drawing might do me good.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Please do, Frank. For frig sake, we cannot let Phil win!

phil

phil

:humph:

love you too, bro.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

:D

Philosopher B.

Or if you prefer to keep it real in the land of the free:

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hoho, wow.

phil

phil

This is how I have reacted to this thread.

:awesome:
:D
:)
:?
:hm:
:(
D:
:noidea:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm workin' on something. Whether I like it enough to post when it's done, we'll see. :awesome:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Stay on target~

Work in progress. Debating on going greyscale for that noir look instead of color, though.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Okay, I totally geeked out on both. Leaning toward Philosopher's right now, but 'ol Dill's not finished yet, so we'll see.

Sorry Phil. You just got blown outta the water.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Chugging along

Element 117

Work in progress

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Awesome as usual, Amy. :awesome:

Anyway this is as far as I'm getting today, I think. Maybe play with it some more tomorrow, or try it in a grayscale.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

*sob* Three big winners and damnit, I'm going to have to choose ONE, aren't I?

Maybe I could send the runner up something, too? I'll be selling my Matrix box set soon (own it on BluRay). Or maybe a copy of the magazine where my depression story was published.

David

David

You're not closing the contest, are you? Still got my work in progress:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Still August, ain't it? :D

Element 117

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hot damn.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, no amount of work on mine's gonna top that.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I still really like yours. Is that an armadillo detective?

Element 117

Yeah, no amount of work on mine's gonna top that.

and by that i mean your pic

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I still really like yours. Is that an armadillo detective?
Yeah, I decided to do his character. And I likely still will, Amy, I'm sure there's more I can do with it.

Dave

Dave

I would give my left nut to be able to draw like you guys.

Not that I'm using it...

Element 117

I turned up John Williams' Superman theme and just got nostalgic.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I need to learn to draw some real peoples..

Hylian

Hylian

I would give my left nut to be able to draw like you guys.

Not that I'm using it...

I would gladly give up Davels left nut to be able to draw like them as well :p

Element 117

it's really more of an homage yo one of my favorite painters.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I too paid homage to an amazing artist.

Element 117

for the motherfucking WIN haha

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Oh God hahahaha

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Liefeld? No. :humph:

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

My hopes and dreams.... :(

David

David

Nice rack, Nick. :D :thumbsup:

Element 117

My hopes and dreams.... :(
Totally won the contest in my book. Hands down, man.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

That part of Linkara's song always cracks me up.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Winners!

So, we haven't had any activity from this in awhile. And for some reason, I called this an August contest while starting it in the middle of July. So!

First Place: BUMBLE! You, sir, are the proud recipient of the Marvel DVD box set!
Second Place: AMY! You, m'lady, if you wish, may have a free copy of Open Minds Quarterly; specifically the issue where my story, The Never Ending Battle, was published.
Third Place: Cynicism! Well, I don't have anything to give you, but for drawing an AWESOME pic of Dill? Should I ever get The Armadillo novel finished, and more specifically published, how about a free copy?

So, winners, please to message me with your snail mail addresses as soon as you can. :D

---------- Post added at 12:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 PM ----------

Also, Bumble, if you could please resize that so it'll fit as an avatar, that'd be great. :)

Dave

Dave

More people have entered yours than mine - and people SCREAMED for the cooking contest!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I keep meaning to enter it, but I just haven't had the time or energy to cook much, as of late. :(

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

More people have entered yours than mine - and people SCREAMED for the cooking contest!
I have twelve days! I will enter. It will be amazing. (And delicious but you won't know about that.)

Wahad

Wahad

August isn't over, old man.

My entry is coming up this weekend, possibly another one next week.

phil

phil

I have my next cooking contest pictures taken. I still need to post it.

Also re: this contest.

Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, YOU'RE COOL, fuck you I'm out.