Export thread

Interesting development...

Dave

Dave

Well, my wife started working last week which is a major load off of all of our shoulders. Now, though, she's been calling me at intervals as her boss has realized that I'm an IT guy and his business doesn't HAVE one. And they are growing. They currently have 10 employees in the office and have hired 2 more. Yet nobody in the office knows how to do ANYTHING on a computer.

I'm not saying I'm leaving my current job, but I think that if any layoffs happen here (which has been happening and the rumor is there's more coming) I should be able to slide right in there if need be.

And I'd get paid weekly instead of monthly...

Chibibar

that is kinda cool. Do you think you can get contract work? (i.e. work off hours or something?)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I hope you keep the job you are at. Don't give away too much free support, or they will not value what you have to add if they want to hire you. CONSULT for a fee.

I don't like getting paid weekly, because the sum of the months bills/mortgage is higher than a single week's pay. I like knocking them out at one time and budgeting for the remainder of the month.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

What 6pack said re: support. If your wife needs to call regularly for you to help them, they should be paying something negotiated from the market rate, w/e it is where you are.

Dave

Dave

What I'm planning on doing is setting up some light consulting with them for pay and then if anything happens here they'll already know I know my shit and we can negotiate.

I'm treating them like a drug deal. The first one's free....

Vagabond

Vagabond

You could be getting paid DAILY if you worked under me, sweetcheeks.

Wasabi Poptart

Dave should be getting paid by the hour and the type of "job" if he's working under you.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

Smart move Dave, shaker is right and it sounds like you are on the right track. Do not go too cheap on the starting support as a favor either, you can always lower rates but if you give it away then it's tough to transition to a worthwhile job or solid contract.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's the Artists' Dilemma. People value what you have to offer, so you tend to give it away for the appreciation.
I, uh, have some experience with this.

--Patrick

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

Too true. "Friends" are the worse culprits for this. No matter what trouble or expence it has cost they still expect a service as a "Favour"

Jay

Jay

Paid monthly? WTF

PatrThom

PatrThom

Paid monthly? WTF
Be glad you aren't salaried in Japan. I hear they get paid yearly.

--Patrick

Jay

Jay

That's fucken balls.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I get paid weekly.

VERY WEAKLY!

Hahahaha... no, really, I get paid shit.