Export thread

Internet Acronyms for Chatting

Dave

Dave

As many of you know, I use a keylogging software program to monitor my kids' activities on the internet. So I get an email from the company that I use (Spectorsoft) and it has a pdf attached that has a list of internet terms that kids use for shorthand.

Holy shit! I thought I was totally up on the lingo but I think it's passed me by a bit. I've attached the pdf file (disregard the first page or so as it's ads) so you can see them, too. But when did "143" start to mean "I love you?" Is the 4 supposed to be a heart? Damned kids are only here to fuck with adults, I swear.

Attachments

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Dude, I would be worried if your kids were fucking with adults...

makare

143 might mean the number of letters per word.

I have seen those kinds of lists before and I think most of those are made up by board people in offices. Seriously.

Wahad

Wahad

Don't worry Ed. I have never seen 3/4 of those acronyms until I read that document.

Also, how is 8 supposed to mean Oral Sex? Kids these days...

Dave

Dave

Don't worry Ed. I have never seen 3/4 of those acronyms until I read that document.

8 = Ate?

Dunno.

And I don't think that these are fake. This is a legitimate security company that has been around for years.

Wasabi Poptart

1 = i
43 = <3

maybe?

Also...

Wahad

Wahad

8 = Ate?

Dunno.

And I don't think that these are fake. This is a legitimate security company that has been around for years.[/QUOTE]

So if somebody says '8a p hot chick,' does it mean 'I had oral sex with a pretty hot chick' or 'I just ate some chicken with hot sauce? I can see where that might get embarrassing.

Joe Johnson

I'm sure all the kids are using "AFAIUI" (As far as I understand it). I'm guessing this list is derived from many different social sectors, not just "teens" in general. There's no way any teen in the US knows all of these, and uses them all. Too many of them are acronyms of something an adult would say. I mean, "Abuse of Bandwidth"? Yep, all the hip kids are talking about bandwidth.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Nice, I did enjoy BOBFOC though (Body off baywatch, face off crimewatch).

LordRavage

It took me forever just to learn BFF meant Best Friend Forever. :p

Wasabi Poptart

Well I found the answer on Yahoo.
It's an old pager code.

I - 1 character

love - 4 characters

you - 3 characters
Funny, my old pager code to my boyfriend was 56838 because it spelled out Love U on the phone.

Shannow

Shannow

Whats a "pager?"

makare

Well I found the answer on Yahoo.
It's an old pager code.

I - 1 character

love - 4 characters

you - 3 characters
Funny, my old pager code to my boyfriend was 56838 because it spelled out Love U on the phone.

ha I was right and didn't have to look it up.

All these years of school paid off.

Wasabi Poptart

Whats a "pager?"
Sheesh. Kids these days.

Cajungal

Cajungal

A few people I used to chat with would say "IDK." I spend the longest time thinking it was just a really horrible typo or they were just freaking out. You know how some people just go "sadfiohwnr4" to express anger or frustration? I just figured they were a little frustrated... 3 characters worth of frustration.

Then someone used "afaik" recently. "As far as I know." :confused: Just... just type it.

Joe Johnson

What.is ..... love?

Dave

Dave

makare

Just... just type it.

Dear god YES!

That should be the slogan of the internet. Just type it... it's not that hard.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

gt off my lwn lol

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hey Makare! High five?

makare

Hey Makare! High five?

.... because it's you.

High five! Aw yeah!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hey Makare! High five?

.... because it's you.

High five! Aw yeah![/QUOTE]
^_^

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

As many of you know, I use a keylogging software program to monitor my kids' activities on the internet. So I get an email from the company that I use (Spectorsoft) and it has a pdf attached that has a list of internet terms that kids use for shorthand.

Holy shit! I thought I was totally up on the lingo but I think it's passed me by a bit. I've attached the pdf file (disregard the first page or so as it's ads) so you can see them, too. But when did \"143\" start to mean \"I love you?\" Is the 4 supposed to be a heart? Damned kids are only here to fuck with adults, I swear.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=143

Joe Johnson

Now that so many phones have built in keyboards, I wonder if some of this lingo will fade away. I can see its use back when you needed to type chat with a phone keypad, but with a full qwerty, it's changed things quite a bit.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

idk, 14 wurdz like this n afaik they <3 me 2.

That was a bit painful to type. Oye.

makare

Now that so many phones have built in keyboards, I wonder if some of this lingo will fade away. I can see its use back when you needed to type chat with a phone keypad, but with a full qwerty, it's changed things quite a bit.

I don't know. My sister has a full board and still thinks it is too time consuming to spell out the word come. So I get messages like " idk will mom cum" it takes me a good five minutes to get over the disturbance of those messages in order to respond.

Dave

Dave

I don't know. My sister has a full board and still thinks it is too time consuming to spell out the word come. So I get messages like " idk will mom cum" it takes me a good five minutes to get over the disturbance of those messages in order to respond.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

My favorite is still probably the lady who thought LOL meant "Lots of Love". The mother of her friend died and she texted "I heard about your mom! I'm SO SORRY! LOL"

That may be urban myth but I love it!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Soliloquy

8 = Ate?

Dunno.

And I don't think that these are fake. This is a legitimate security company that has been around for years.[/QUOTE]

I still wouldn't be too surprised if some of these aren't real, even if the security company didn't realize it.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

For me it is more the 160 character limit in a SMS message. I will type out everything properly and if it won't fit I will go back and change something to an abbreviated version or an acronym.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Fun Size

Fun Size

I must confess that nothing irks me like having actual correspondence peppered with acronyms, especially in email. I've taken to writing wordy responses whenever anyone puts a "lol" in print.

I do make exceptions for smilies, but only because ;-) expresses "that was supposed to be a joke, so don't get all pissy about it" so well.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Smilies aren't the same. Smilies (or emoticons, where applicable), help convey intonation.
"I hate you :-P" is something else than "I hate you :mad:". Smilies add something to written text that, before, wasn't as necessary. Written instant communication was non-existant.
Acronyms...Some I accept. I use a few of them on occasion...But most are downright useless. And some lingo just doesn't make sense, since it's longer than the word it's replacing. Gah.

makare

I dont see anything wrong with lol even in emails. Mostly because when I write lol it is because I did.

I have nothing but hostility for people who use :p and general distaste for ;)

Fun Size

Fun Size

But did you really? Did you honestly laugh out loud? As opposed to a chuckle, smile, scoff, or other not-quite-out-loud laugh?

makare

Usually I laugh out loud.

but would chuckle be an ok alternative to lol? Same sentiment.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I was just teasing, although I do often question it when people here comment on a posted comic with "I didn't laugh out loud". Maybe it's just me, but something has to really catch me off guard to make me laugh out loud.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I'm with you. I can smile and kind of chuckle and still be very amused. I won't laugh at funny books, TV, and movies as much as I do when I'm around funny people having a good conversation.

That's kind of why I don't get why people judge webcomics based on how much or little they laughed. "It was ok, but I didn't laugh." Come on, most of what's on the web isn't "lol" funny. It's "heh, well this is better than working" funny.

That said, I've "lol'd" at Achewood, and I giggled heartily at "Steve Jobbles." I'm giggling now.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

In fact--one of my pet peeves is when people force laughter when they're reading or watching something that's really clever and amusing but clearly not enough to make them laugh. It's like they're trying so hard to validate it, and the only way to do that is with this over-the-top reaction.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Precisely. Although today's Looking For Group actually got an out loud laugh and doubled my desire for my Richard hoodie and matching socks I requested for Christmas.

Cajungal

Cajungal

*snicker* Jobbles. Jobblejobblejobble! *teehee*

makare

I laugh out loud pretty easily if something amuses me, I laugh.

Cuyval Dar

I hate the term "lol". I very much approve of "roflcopter" and "lmao", however.

Soliloquy

I very much approve of "roflcopter" and "lmao", however.
Since the majority of the Internet's population still posses their asses, I think they're lying with that second one.

"My ass is still on" will be the new "I didn't laugh out loud."

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm still fairly convinced that "acronym" speak derives from cellphone text messages. When people were charged by the message/length.

On a related note, "ne1" drives my brother up the wall for some reason, he goes out of his way to bitch at people who use it.

Gusto

Gusto

idk my bff jill

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm still fairly convinced that "acronym" speak derives from cellphone text messages. When people were charged by the message/length.

On a related note, "ne1" drives my brother up the wall for some reason, he goes out of his way to bitch at people who use it.
I dunno. I seem to recall using such acronyms before texting with AOL chat rooms. Maybe I am misremembering though.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Yeah, I think BRB/LOL and all that started in chat rooms.

Soliloquy

Yeah, I think BRB/LOL and all that started in chat rooms.
Yeah, I remember a friend telling me what certain online chat acronyms meant sometime in the mid-90's.

Twitch

idk my bff jill
tisnf!

RocketGirl

I dunno. I seem to recall using such acronyms before texting with AOL chat rooms. Maybe I am misremembering though.
Oh, it was before that!

I remember dial-up BBSes that had chat rooms, and we were abbreviating in there, using clever ASCII text to make things look funky, all o' that as early as the mid-to-late 80s.
*blush* I even ran my own warez BBS out of my bedroom for a year or two in high school; I was such a nerd.

"LOL" only annoys me if people use it ALL. THE. TIME. Like at the end of each and every sentence...you've met those people. if you've been on the internet for ten minutes, you've met them. "How you doin'? lol" "What's for dinner? lol" "My entire family just died horrifically in a fire. lol" You've been there.
Mostly, I totally get into internet slang so long as it doesn't become all you can say/do. I mean, if most of your text looks like, "Wot u doin on mah internetz 2day u loozer?" I kind of want to stab you just a little. But if you throw the occasional "ROFL", "IIRC", "LOL", or "WTF" into the mix, hey, I am down with the sickness, believe me.
Smilies? I'm into it...though I'd prefer if you weren't the type to put the nose in; that just looks ugly. Anime-style smilies? Ehhh...I'm so over those, but I'm also over hating them; I'm in the "whatever" stage.
Every now and then, I run into something I hadn't heard before; I hate having to ask. Though I AM proud that I figured out PMSL one my own...but for about a week I was all, "Premenstrual Syndrome WHAT? Where'z the 'L' come into this? And why do they keep posting it after something they think is funny?" Heh.

That's another thing...I've got a few quirks that are all my own on the internet. For example, I've gotten in the habit of--when it feels right to me for whatever reason--replacing the 's' with a 'z', usually at the end of contractions: "What'z up?" "Where'z Spanky going?" etc.
And if I ever emote with a sigh, I stick a silent 'p' at the front like "psychiatry": *psigh* I've actually caught folks on my LJ f-list doing it recently, so I appear to have started that meme now. ;)

Ah, the internet...it's hard to remember a time without ye.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Oh, I wasn't pinpointing the origins, just identifying that it predated text messaging.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Maybe some of the earlier stuff like lol and brb started before cellphone texting, but texting was defeinitely the catalyst for what it is now.

Null

Null

I very much approve of "roflcopter" and "lmao", however.
Since the majority of the Internet's population still posses their asses, I think they're lying with that second one.

"My ass is still on" will be the new "I didn't laugh out loud."[/QUOTE]

No, it won't.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

It took me forever just to learn BFF meant Best Friend Forever. :p
I used to think that "lol" = "wow"... I can only phantom what kind of impression this caused...

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

Really? ABITHIWTITB = A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?

Really?

Do... people even use that expression anymore? I pretty much refuse to believe that's a thing that happens.

Who the shit would abbreviate that, and why? And why often enough that it would be considered pertinent lingo for a guide of this nature?

I guess what I'm saying here, is, "The fuck?"

PatrThom

PatrThom

bhamv3

bhamv3

oh, and while I never use it cuz no one recognizes it I like orz
Wow, you're the first westerner I've seen who knows and uses orz. *salutes*

I've also seen people use the OTZ variation sometimes.

RocketGirl

oh, and while I never use it cuz no one recognizes it I like orz
Wow, you're the first westerner I've seen who knows and uses orz. *salutes*
[/QUOTE]

Explain? I know of something called "Orz", but...it's an alien species from a video game:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Smilies? I'm into it...though I'd prefer if you weren't the type to put the nose in; that just looks ugly.
I ran a couple bbs's in the 80s...we used the smilies without noses back then too. I think that's probably why the kind with the noses look weird to me.

Fun Size

Fun Size

But if you leave the noses off, how do they smell?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Horrible.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Thank you ladies and gentlemen! Ceej and I will be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

But if you leave the noses off, how do they smell?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Fuck that. Tip ME!

/still poor

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Fuck that. Tip ME!

/still poor
Not with that avatar, maybe if you slip into something a bit.... more comfortable.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Eh? Eh?

Fun Size

Fun Size

Well now you're just taunting her.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

<---- avatar change in response.

RocketGirl

orz = kneeling down, prostrating.. o = head, r = upper body + arms, z = lower body + legs
Oh...I see. Heh. No wonder I didn't grok it; I was looking for a word rather than ACII art.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Finnish acronyms!

EVVK = Ei vois vähempää kiinnostaa, 'Could not care less'
and
EVVVK = Ei vois vittu vähempää kiinnostaa, 'could not care fucking less'... or alternatively 'could not care less about pussy', albeit the latter interpretation is used once in a blue moon. Technically it does mean both, though.

Roxxoredizorz

idk my bff jill
I am two days late to the punch, but I was going to post that. I guess Canadians think alike.

And Ed, I'm 16, and I've never used, or heard of those terms. If even I used 99% of them, I'd probably be a complete idiot.

I'm pretty sure the AOL/MSN idiot era is over.