Export thread

Internet Addiction

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I'm sure I'm not the only one. There are times that I'll just sit at home, spending hours upon hours scouring the net for whatever. Hell, sometimes, I'll revisit the exact same page numerous times, only to remember that they had already updated for the day or the week.

So yeah, I have an internet addiction. It's starting to affect me badly, lately. Part of it might be due to having nothing to do and no one to spend time with, which is certainly not helping my depression. But it's also affecting my schoolwork, as a result.

A friend of mine suggested this: LeechBlock :: Add-ons for Firefox

I've got it installed now. It's going to block every single .com if I spend more than 5 minutes in a day. Right now, it's counting down for this site for less than two minutes, so I probably won't even be able to read responses for another day. But it also means I'll be able to get some schoolwork done.

So, I'll likely be posting on here less and less, by the looks of it.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Internet Addition

Until you disable it, because Smurf that!

David

David

Internet Addition

I may be slightly the same way. I manage to get my school work done when I want to, but I feel like I've been cut off from the world when I lose my internet. A few times in high school I had to spend a week at my grandma's, who doesn't have internet, and I just about went insane.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Internet Addition

I didn't realize that it was 5 minutes across the board for ANY website. So, I changed it to 15 minutes per 24 hours. That's where it's sticking.

And no, it's not going to change to 30 minutes, then an hour, then two hours, etc. Clock's ticking down to 6 minutes, now and that's all I have to use until tomorrow.

Fortuntely, blocking .coms doesn't affect my university website or its library link, so research won't be affected.

Element 117

Internet Addition

1 internet + 1 internet =! Addiction.

Also, since you only have a few seconds:

Null

Null

Internet Addition

I was offline from the 13th to the 20th of this month - no email, facebook, forums, nothing. I was traveling and I don't have a laptop, and I thought it was going to be difficult. But because I was otherwise busy, I really didn't notice the absence. The trick is find other things to do.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Internet Addition

I'm not addicted. I can log out any time I want.
(and my connection was down over the previous weekend anyway...)

--Patrick

Espy

Espy

In my experience the more time I spend online correlated with the more down I felt (primarily when my wife was overseas). The more I filled it up with stuff (school, work, music, friends) the less time I spent online, or rather the more healthy the time I spent online was. I suppose most people who are depressed and spending time online know they need real help, but for many people I think just finding other things to do can be the key.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Holy crap, am I ever getting a lot of stuff done. My apartment is spotless now and I've done all my reading needed for tday's class.

Yeah, this rationing is going to stick.

Espy

Espy

Holy crap, am I ever getting a lot of stuff done. My apartment is spotless now and I've done all my reading needed for tday's class.

Yeah, this rationing is going to stick.
Thats awesome man. Good for you.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

Glad to hear that you recognized the problem and provided yourself with a solution. Props, sir!

And bless you, Amy. I may now continue my patrols in a much-improved frame of mind. *salute*

Element 117

Maria Ozawa is awesome.

fade

fade

Hey, if you really want to shoot up, load up google reader with a few feeds, and then click "recommended items". It goes on forever, and it's all tailored to your google account, so it's all interesting...