iPad Rumor: no matter how much you "hate" Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
This is cool. One rumor, prompted by Apple's partnership with a company called Sensig, is that the iPad will gain "tixtels", or texture pixels. Sensig's tech can reproduce the sensation of various substances, including silk and sandpaper.

In any case, one of the biggest rumors seems to be that it will include at least some sort of haptic feedback, at least something similar to the Wii's "rumble over a button".

I look forward to the features of the iPad 3 making it onto superior products within a year of it's release. That's about it.

fade

Staff member
I guess that really depends on what you mean by "superior", which is an extremely subjective term. It's the classic mac v. pc argument. You can throw stats and performance at me all day, but it's the user experience that keeps me coming back. To each their own.

I can throw stats and performance at you all day? As in like, real proven facts? and you say it won't matter?

Well there's no discussion to be had here then! ;)

fade

Staff member
Thanks for totally twisting my words.

What I really, actually, truly said was that we can't define "superior" easily, and that my definition of "superior" doesn't necessarily include those things. Those may be real proven facts, but just because they're facts doesn't mean they support an objective definition of "superior" because there is none. Which was my point.

Oh, and ;)

So what you're arguing is that I didn't say "technologically superior through performance and stats" and only said "superior"? My mistake.

fade

Staff member
Yes. It is actually quite important. Because that stuff doesn't matter one bit in a phone or tablet to me (and many other people), and doesn't figure into my definition of superior. I have never once pushed the technological limits of my phone. I prefer user experience, which while subjective, does actually have its own quantitative stats.

All I was saying is what you find to be a metric of "superior" isn't necessarily what you do. Not saying your definition is wrong, but neither is mine.

Do you tend to eat salsbury steak with basic spice as long as it's presented nicely too? Personally I prefer a prime rib steak, cooked with care, chosen carefully for it's quality and spices used to flavor it even if it is served on a paper plate instead of fine china.

S

Soliloquy

I think what he's saying is he'd prefer a salisbury steak cooked with care to a prime rib that's been hastily and sloppily prepared.

That said, I prefer Android to iOS.

fade

Staff member
You're still saying "superior", you just rephrased it as meat. What defines the steak as "Prime Rib" for you is its performance. What defines "Prime Rib" for me are things like efficiency of work flow, data availability, hardware form factor and durability. And believe it or not, some tech specs. Like the fact that Apple's OSs are built on Objective C which enforces garbage collection, so there's none of the memory leak problems that happen in the android market. At least fewer. A better analogy to me is a car. You can buy cars that are a gestalt driving experience, but you can buy them that accelerate faster, and turn sharper. However, if that is not what defines a good car for you, you will buy the one with the tighter engineering and higher aerodynamics, etc. That is not to say that faster isn't equal to better for some buyers.

I'll concede that I prefer faster performance/accessability to customization and a better engine VS a more shiny exterior and simplified controls inside.

Because that's what it boils down to. Ipad3 will bring new innovations to the field, do it in a simple way, and be very expensive.

Within that year a new tablet will come out, cheaper, with faster hardware, more customization and the same features as the Ipad with a bit more complicated of an interface.

back on topic, I'm pretty sure the texture thing is bunk, seeing as one of the features that are officially confirmed is the gorilla glass used.

It's definitely bunk, one of the major tech blogs would have mentioned by this point now that they've all gotten hands-on.

Plus, they would have mentioned it in the presentation anyways.

Necronic

Staff member
I don't understand the argument that Sheg and Fade were having. Are there any other tablets that have even come close to succeeding in the marketplace? Last I heard the answer was no, and for systems like those a large part of their value is based on the 3rd party apps built around them, which is going to be determined based on the market share.

I don't think the iPad even has any competitors.

Within that year a new tablet will come out, cheaper, with faster hardware, more customization and the same features as the Ipad with a bit more complicated of an interface.
Case in point, has this hapened with any of the two previous iterations? I honestly don't know and am curious as to the answer.

fade

Staff member
There was a suite of android-based tablets. To be clear, if you like Android or kindle tabs, knock yourself out. My argument was over what constitutes "superior".

Samsung Galaxy Tab, for instance. (The one Apple sued over. Which was not because of similarities and appearance, despite the Apple-hater crowd insisting that it was, helped by Samsung. It was because Samsung helped design the iPad, and had inside information about its workings, then split off and came out with its own.)

Necronic

Staff member
Yeah that's pretty shady. I've seen lots of companys do stuff like that, and they'll say that they are using a system of above board disclosures and separation of workforce to avoid contaminating their IP, but then they'll use the same project manager for both projects and you're like "wait what?"

Edit: I still don't get the tablet PC market though. I can see it's use in certain types of industry applications (like for waiters/customers, or for floor walkers, or for all sorts of unique operations in a factory), but they aren't really productivity tools imho. And until they are it's not the technical specs or whatnot that decides the best one, it's the adoption rate and the 3rd party app development that does.

My iPad has replaced my laptop for all my lounging around needs, but I agree whole heartedly with the production device comments about them. The idea of getting a bluetooth keyboard just seems stupid to me as well. If I'm going to carry around a second device just for typing I might as well carry around a laptop.

I've never had a tablet before, but I borrowed one for a month from my company to make on-the-spot consumer videos for research projects, and had the benefit of taking it on a couple plane trips...holy shit, I always knew intellectually that tablets were good to have on planes, but now I can't believe I ever got on a plane without one before.

Definitely picking up the new iPad for myself now.

There was a suite of android-based tablets. To be clear, if you like Android or kindle tabs, knock yourself out. My argument was over what constitutes "superior".

Samsung Galaxy Tab, for instance. (The one Apple sued over. Which was not because of similarities and appearance, despite the Apple-hater crowd insisting that it was, helped by Samsung. It was because Samsung helped design the iPad, and had inside information about its workings, then split off and came out with its own.)
They're still making the processor for the iPad and iPhone, and getting their asses handed to them with their own products. Of course no one is standing in line for a Samsung phone or tablet. No one wants them.

as a student, my iPad is indespensible. I use it to track my homework assignments, take notes, organize my information, do research, read my PDF journal articles. Now that I've had one, I would have a harder time getting by without one. I do have a bluetooth keyboard,but now that I have a laptop, I use that for papers and such simply due to the fact that MS office is the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.