Is It Me Or Is This Odd Casting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday, I overhear my kids watching an ad on Disney and realize that the people playing the rodents in G-Force are an unexpected lot. I mean Nicolas Cage, Jon Favreau, Sam Rockwell and Penelope Cruz? Really?

Add to that that I discovered that Richard O'Brian is Phineas and Ferb's dad (another Disney production), and I'm just flat out disturbed.

Anyone else come across interesting voice actor choices lately? I mean other than the Futurama bit. :slywink:

Cajungal

Staff member
A lot of otherwise good actors do stupid animated movies. (I'm not necessarily trying to call Nicholas Cage good.)

-- Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 am --

Sometimes they do good animated movies too.

S

Steven Soderburgin

It's very common.
Cajungal said:
A lot of otherwise good actors do stupid animated movies. (I'm not necessarily trying to call Nicholas Cage good.)
Yeah, I'd hesitate to call an Academy Award winning actor who has been nominated several times for many acting awards "good"

That's one of the things that threw me here. These are award winning talents who are now gerbil voices.

Probably the easy money thing, but it really threw me.

B

Batdan

Cajungal said:

-- Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:12 am --

Sometimes they do good animated movies too.
And sometimes they do silly tv shows. It blew my mind when Patrick Stewart started voicing the boss on American Dad.

E

elph

Fun Size said:
That's one of the things that threw me here. These are award winning talents who are now gerbil voices.

In their defense.. they're not gerbils, they're guinea pigs.

Not that it makes it any better.

But really, work's work I guess. I think it's pretty cool that they don't think of themselves so important that they just can't do a voice over job.

elph said:
Fun Size said:

In their defense.. they're not gerbils, they're guinea pigs.
Dammit. Corrected.

I'm sticking with my Richard Gere joke anyway.

Has Disney gone so far down the totem pole in your minds that you can't see them convincing stars to voice, and are animated "children's" features so unworthy that you can't see a good actor wanting to play such a part?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... ge.gforce/

I actually appreciate actors that have a wide range (such as Patrick Stewart - films, tv, stage, animation, etc) more than those that are snobbish about their particular niche.

-Adam

I'm actually a huge fan of Disney - it's the voice acting bit that feels...off. I'm trying to picture Favreau deciding to pause between multi-million dollar Iron Man movies to voice a rodent and somehow, it's difficult. Obviously it's what he decided. It just surprised me.

I'm going to see it, probably when it hits the dollar theater. I'm sure these actors wouldn't have voiced a really bad script, and the last few films to come out of disney have been good. Not great, but certainly above par for the average film.

-Adam

Like I said in the blog, this choice of cast has at least made me interested. I mean, it's Buscemi for Bob's sake.

hahahah how do you guys think any actor working is "above" a sub par script about fucking rodents shitting in people's hands?

There is not one actor in hollywood in HISTORY with an impeccable filmography other than John Cazale

A

Aisaku

... 'scale'?

Also agreed with Nicholas 'I'm not going Bald' Cage. He ruined Ghost Rider for me.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Aisaku said:
... 'scale'?
They get paid a flat wage rage than getting to set their fee. For example, getting paid $500 a day, rather than getting a set amount.
Also agreed with Nicholas 'I'm not going Bald' Cage. He ruined Ghost Rider for me.
wait

nicolas cage is the thing that ruined ghost rider?

not the power rangers style fights and the shitty attempts at flashy direction from Mark Steven Johnson, director of Daredevil?

Kissinger said:
wait

not the power rangers style fights and the shitty attempts at flashy direction from Mark Steven Johnson, director of Daredevil?
okay, really, take your pick. he is either a terrible actor (BEEEES!) or he has the worst choice in projects known to man. honestly i kind of like him, so i'll lean toward the latter, but you can't deny the guy has been in a lot of bad movies.

S

Steven Soderburgin

oh yeah he been in some real bad shit but i aint gonna begrudge him no kinda paycheck

A

Aisaku

Kissinger said:
Aisaku said:
... 'scale'?
They get paid a flat wage rage than getting to set their fee. For example, getting paid $500 a day, rather than getting a set amount.
wait

Yes him, I mean I would have let the rest slip without Cage on screen. It was even more jarring when the guy who played young Johnny Blaze would've done a lot better.

I was really surprised by the voice actors in Kung Fu Panda, and confused about why they didn't bother to advertise them. Apart from Michael Clark Duncan, none of them really seemed better than random run-of-the-mill voice actors, and the only one who got advertised was Jack Black, so the rest presumably were paid "big name" money for no particular reason.

Raemon777 said:
I was really surprised by the voice actors in Kung Fu Panda, and confused about why they didn't bother to advertise them. Apart from Michael Clark Duncan, none of them really seemed better than random run-of-the-mill voice actors, and the only one who got advertised was Jack Black, so the rest presumably were paid "big name" money for no particular reason.
I thought the voice actors in Kung-Fu Panda were rock-solid. I've certainly heard many, many worse voice actors.

Apparently, you watch much better exemplars of voice-acting than I do. :tongue:

Bowielee said:
I'm still pissed the Gforce movie turned out NOT to be Battle of the Planets.
Ditto. My reaction was basically three stages:

"G-Force! YES!!!"

(seeing it's guinea pigs)

"...if they somehow adapted G-Force into this PIECE OF SHIT, I WILL..."

(sees it's unrelated)

"Oh, thank god."

stienman said:
Has Disney gone so far down the totem pole in your minds that you can't see them convincing stars to voice, and are animated \"children's\" features so unworthy that you can't see a good actor wanting to play such a part?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... ge.gforce/

I actually appreciate actors that have a wide range (such as Patrick Stewart - films, tv, stage, animation, etc) more than those that are snobbish about their particular niche.

-Adam
Yeah, but this isn't just a Disney movie. This is about shit. Literally, if you watch the extended trailer before Up. Voicing an animated film is nothing worse than acting in a live-action movie. Taking part in a piece of crap is different.

I'll give them credit for doing it at all though. The trailer was so awful it nearly threw me into a seizure, so I can't imagine standing there, reciting these lines again and again and again for days.

L

Laurelai

I'm getting really lucky and dodging the bullet on this one. My 8 year old's summer camp is seeing this on wednesday when I'm at work, so I get to miss it- she has been DYING to see it. I had to sit through Hotel for Dogs, so I am glad I get to miss this piece of cinematic excrement. How the hell the other half gets to see Up and I get Hotel for Dogs is just plain wrong. :waah:

Status
Not open for further replies.