Is it wrong to eat live animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Koreans, for instance, eat whole, living squid - it's thought to give them strength and courage (or so I've come to understand).

There are a variety of foods that are served with living creatures, or only very recently killed creatures that still have some nerve response (live squid tentacles, some forms of sushi, for instance).

Of course, in the animal kingdom among meat eaters, only carrion creatures eat dead meat - other animals have no problem eating an animal that is still dying.

So.

Is it wrong, and if so, on what basis? If we decide that the pain and suffering of the animal is important to us (ie, "humane") then would that be solved by causing the animal to become unconscious? What other reasoning would make it, in and of itself, wrong? I suspect it's due to our instincts and biology - cooked dead meat is simply safer. Excusing that aside as well, what other reasons could it be wrong to do so?

Note, I'm not considering running out to a pasture and biting cows for my meals anytime soon - I prefer my meat dead and well done - but squeamish youtube videos of butchering squid, or eating squid whole and live has me pondering the whole situation.

I've had live squid tentacles, albeit chopped up and no longer attached to the squid. They were still wiggly, it was an interesting experience, though the taste wasn't that great.

Do I think it's wrong? No. Most of the animals served this way are fish, other forms of sea animals, or insects, most of which lack the higher brain functions to feel suffering from such a predicament. It's no worse than boiling lobsters alive.

On one of those History/Discovery/etc. shows an anthropologist made the statement that the reason that cavemen started cooking meat, was to give the rest of the tribe back home the sensation of eating the kill while it was still fresh and warm. Even though the animal could have been dead for hours/days by time the hunters brought the butchered meat back home.

I've eaten freshly shucked oyster, but never really thought about it. And I'd probably do it again cause it was delicious.

*Actually, I wouldn't, because I've since developed an allergy. I actually forgot that for a moment. DAMMIT.

It depends on what rights we see fit to give animals. I have no problem with people eating them alive, haven't tried it myself though.

Oh man, meat tastes so much better ripped straight from the living body. Juices flowing down my chin, panic in it's eyes as it realizes it's dying, it's family screaming about they're going to get their revenge/call the police/etc

Om nom nom nom.

I've had live squid tentacles, albeit chopped up and no longer attached to the squid. They were still wiggly, it was an interesting experience, though the taste wasn't that great.

Do I think it's wrong? No. Most of the animals served this way are fish, other forms of sea animals, or insects, most of which lack the higher brain functions to feel suffering from such a predicament. It's no worse than boiling lobsters alive.
Squid, octopuses and other cephalopods definitely don't fall into the section of lacking higher brain functions you ascribe seeing as they have been shown as being smart enough to use tools among other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.