Export thread

Jack Kirby Estate is going to f**ck Marvel/Disney

JCM

URGENT! Intellectual Property Lawyer Marc Toberoff Goes After Disney/Marvel Deal & Other Studios For Jack Kirby Estate

Specifically, the estate of Jack Kirby, co-creator of Captain America, The Fantastic Four, The X-Men, The Avengers, Iron Man, Hulk, The Silver Surfer and Thor, has sent notices terminating copyright to publishers Marvel and Disney,

as well as film studios that have made movies and TV shows based on characters he created or co-created, including Sony, Universal, 20th Century Fox and Paramount Pictures. That's the news from the website bleedingcool.com, which covers all things comic book. Normally these kinds of lawsuits are run of the mill for Hollywood. But not when they're litigated by Marc Toberoff, who is the bane of Big Media. He's had so many victories they're hard to count, especially in he comic book arena on behalf of Superman creator Jerry Seigel against DC Comics and Warner Bros.

Like that case, Kirby’s estate is looking to regain his share of copyright in the characters and their use in comics and other media. \"Such claims, if found valid, would begin from 2014 and, as always, it's worth noting that Marvel/Disney will still own the trademarks of the characters in comics, and the studios in movies. The likelihood is that, if successful, the Kirby estate would enter into negotiation over terms to continue publishing comics based on his work,\" the website wrote. Other recent cases which Toberoff has won or settled lawsuits on Lassie, Get Smart, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Wild Wild West, and Smallville. On the Superman case, Warner Bros could have been draped in black mourning the loss of a shitload of Superman dollars because of U.S. District Court Judge Stephen G. Larson's ruling: \"After 70 years, Jerome Siegel’s heirs regain what he granted so long ago — the copyright in the Superman material that was published in Action Comics, Vol. 1. What remains is an apportionment of profits, guided in some measure by the rulings contained in this Order, and a trial on whether to include the profits generated by DC Comics’ corporate sibling’s exploitation of the Superman.\" Think about it: Siegel sold the rights to the action hero he created with Joseph Shuster to Detective Comics for $130, and his heirs got back ownership of the character in 1999 and could possibly lay claim to $50+ million of Warner Bros' and/or its DC Comics' cash. Can that happen in the Kirby case? The iron is that Disney CEO Bob Iger's ties to Marvel go back two generations to Kirby himself. That's because Iger's late great-uncle (his grandfather's brother) was illustrator/cartoonist Jerry Iger, who partnered with illustrator/cartoonist Will Eisner back in the 1930s to create the comic book packager Eisner & Iger Studios. And their first hire was Jack Kirby, who as you know later became the co-creator of many of Marvel's best known characters with then Marvel editor-in-chief Stan Lee. Lee, meanwhile, has been supportive of the Disney/Marvel deal (though he is fighting lawsuits of his own on other fronts.)
This will be fun

Shannow

Shannow

Jack Kiry state is going to f**ck Marvel/Disney

ugh

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

There goes the hope of seeing Iron-Man 2 anytime soon...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There goes the hope of seeing Iron-Man 2 anytime soon...
Iron-Man 2 is already being filmed. I believe it was looking at a summer 2010 release.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I just love these lawsuits that do not happen when it could benefit the person that did all the work, just the leaches of a family that won't get out an earn their own way.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Didn't Kirby co-create most, though not all to be sure, of those titles mentioned while working specifically as an employee of Marvel?

Seems a bit different from the Superman/boy case, which was an independent IP bought by what became DC.

Cat

Cat

Meh, they'll be given some money and everything else will be business as usual.

ThatNickGuy

I love Kirby's work and still feel he was royally shafted, so the lawsuit is definitely justified...

...just not by his family members. They didn't do the amazing work he did. I'm all for them getting, say, a cut of the profits, but to full-on own the rights? No.

It's the same as the Siegel & Shuster families. They didn't do the work in creating Superman, but they should at least get some profits.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

This doesn't screw over Iron-Man 2, Hulk 2, Captain America or Thor.

What it does put in jeopardy, is "The Avengers."

JCM

I love Kirby's work and still feel he was royally shafted, so the lawsuit is definitely justified...

...just not by his family members. They didn't do the amazing work he did. I'm all for them getting, say, a cut of the profits, but to full-on own the rights? No.

It's the same as the Siegel & Shuster families. They didn't do the work in creating Superman, but they should at least get some profits.
Pretty much this.

He should get credit, and his family, a token %, heck, just give the Kirby Estate the same deal Stan Lee got.

But like the Shuster/Siegel case, he doesn´t deserve the full rights, as he created them FOR Marvel, with somebody else co-creating them, and knew it very well when he created them.

Sadly, this is the guy who managed to yank Superboy from DC and give all rights to the Shuster (or Siegel, cant remember now) estate, which made DC kill off Superboy and make Superboy Prime into Superman.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

Pretty much this.

He should get credit, and his family, a token %, heck, just give the Kirby Estate the same deal Stan Lee got.

But like the Shuster/Siegel case, he doesn´t deserve the full rights, as he created them FOR Marvel, with somebody else co-creating them, and knew it very well when he created them.

Sadly, this is the guy who managed to yank Superboy from DC and give all rights to the Shuster (or Siegel, cant remember now) estate, which made DC kill off Superboy and make Superboy Prime into Superman.[/QUOTE]

The only truly correct thing would be if Siegel and Shuster got that while they are alive. But having the families receiving profits is good. I know that the Superboy thing was bad, and I like the character a bit, but, after finding out what happened with superman creators I wanted to do a "haha" like that kid from simpsons.

Covar

Covar

Pretty much this.

Sadly, this is the guy who managed to yank Superboy from DC and give all rights to the Shuster (or Siegel, cant remember now) estate, which made DC kill off Superboy and make Superboy Prime into Superman.[/QUOTE]

Siegel.

Norris

Norris

Ugh. This is stupid. Kirby had a contract. Kirby signed the contract. And now his grandkids are trying to get out out of the contract. Stupid. I really don't even get how these lawsuits are possible...ok, the Superboy one I understand because DC did take a new idea and steal it. That I get. But this one just seems like the Kirby Estate saw the words "Four Billion Dollars" in the newspaper and started salivating.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Well, reading some of the comments on the other site, it seems like the legal parameters of "work for hire" have changed since then, and possibly enough that the original contract really would allow Kirby's estate to get a % of the take and possibly the rights back.

If the estate feels that Jack was pressured into giving up his rights, and now feel like they can get them back, I suppose it makes sense that they would go for it if they think they can do it...

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

All I'm going to say is "Way to fucking go Disney".

Norris

Norris

If the estate feels that Jack was pressured into giving up his rights, and now feel like they can get them back, I suppose it makes sense that they would go for it if they think they can do it...
But that's bullshit. If this were over the Eternals or The New Gods & OMAC & Kamandi (the latter three being DC, I know), I could see it. Those were his ideas, his visions, made after he got well known, full stop. But it isn't. It's about stuff that he did under contract, alongside Stan Lee. How the hell can full copyright be claimed on the characters when he didn't create them alone?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

And with Stan Lee still alive for that matter.

Also, since it says if this is successful it wouldn't go into effect until 2014, they'd still be allowed to make movies and comics, whatever, until then.

WB is rushing to have a Superman movie written, filmed, and put into theaters by 2011, as that's the expiration on their rights to the origin material.

Covar

Covar

Notice the waiting until Disney bought Marvel? Its why I hate cases like these. The family is not interested in the rights, they just want the money.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

How the hell can full copyright be claimed on the characters when he didn't create them alone?
According to that article (and the one the article links to), they're not trying to claim full copyright, just his "share", whatever that means.

It's about stuff that he did under contract, alongside Stan Lee.
We would need to see what was described in the contract he signed at the time. Work-for-hire did not exist as a legal concept until 1976, long after Kirby began working for Marvel. This is probably why Marvel tried for years to get him to sign away his rights to his works.

Stan Lee would probably be ecstatic if Kirby's estate wins, because it would give him the legal standing to get his own direct share of the copyright (and associated profits), as opposed to whatever he makes from his ownership of Marvel stock.

I agree that it seems a bit much for his estate to do this, but if they're legally entitled to it thanks to the contract Kirby signed and the current state of law governing pre-1976 contracts, I can see why they would go for it.

It's not like they're suing a charity.

JCM

How the hell can full copyright be claimed on the characters when he didn't create them alone?
According to that article (and the one the article links to), they're not trying to claim full copyright, just his "share", whatever that means.

It's about stuff that he did under contract, alongside Stan Lee.
We would need to see what was described in the contract he signed at the time. Work-for-hire did not exist as a legal concept until 1976, long after Kirby began working for Marvel. This is probably why Marvel tried for years to get him to sign away his rights to his works.

Stan Lee would probably be ecstatic if Kirby's estate wins, because it would give him the legal standing to get his own direct share of the copyright (and associated profits), as opposed to whatever he makes from his ownership of Marvel stock.

I agree that it seems a bit much for his estate to do this, but if they're legally entitled to it thanks to the contract Kirby signed and the current state of law governing pre-1976 contracts, I can see why they would go for it.

It's not like they're suing a charity.[/QUOTE]However, unlike DC, Marvel always gave him credit for the creation, and also unlike DC, Marvel had him under a good salary, and Jack Kirby left for DC for a bigger offer.

If this was DC, ala the guys who refused credit and fired Shuster and Siegel, I´d be for the estate, but this is Marvel.

If he had wanted his characters, he shouldve negotiated BEFORE leaving Marvel, which he never bothered to do. otherwise might as well give every artist and his family a % of the cut, which isnt a viable choice.

After all, lets say- Wolverine Oigins.

-Deadpool? Give Liefeld a share of the cuts, as well as Fabian Nicieza
-Gambit? 4 creators, Chris Claremont and Jim Lee had the concept, Steve Gieger created the uniform and the rest was Mike Collins. Thats four families demanding credit.
-Stryker again would give money to Chris Claremont and Brent Anderson
-Ice Queen, again Claremont and also John Byrne
-Sabertooth, same as Ice Queen, again Claremont and also John Byrne
-Blob? Gotta give money to the Stan Lee and Kirby estates [:p]
-Xavier? Stan Lee and Kirby too.
-Cyclops? Again, Stan Lee and Kirby.
-Silver Fox?Again Chris Claremont and John Buscema would get $
-Agent Zero? Jim Lee
-Bolt? Howard Mackie, Tom Grummett and Dan Lawlis
-Thomas Logan? Bill Jemas, Paul Jenkins, Joe Quesada, Andy Kubert
-John Wraith would bring money to Larry Hama
-Stryker´s son (Jason Stryker/Mastermind) was also created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

Heck, I can bet countless more people collaborated with any of these creations above, as well as with every Kirby creation (Thing´s orange came from the colorsit, heck, the inker is still uncredited until today), and countless temps and smaller artists/writers/editors have helped create what Stan Lee claims as his ideas drawn by Kirby, and the Kirby state wants a cut of.

Moral of the story? Read your contract, or make a creator-owned deal. Oh, and teach your kids not be goldiggers awaiting a Disney purchase.

@Li3n

@Li3n

- Deadpool? Give Liefeld a share of the cuts, as well as Fabian Nicieza
I think you mean give a share to Marv Wolfman and George Pérez... :toocool:

JCM

- Deadpool? Give Liefeld a share of the cuts, as well as Fabian Nicieza
I think you mean give a share to Marv Wolfman and George Pérez... :toocool:[/QUOTE]Touché.

Anyway, Deathstroke sucks, (although he was cool in Crisis) I prefer Deadpool, adding Nicieza´s 4th-wall banter and crazy antics (which were greatly improved by later writers), just like I prefer Green Lantern over the Lensmen

and Superman over Doctor Occult (More Fun Comics #14-17, wearing a cape)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Occult

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

If he had wanted his characters, he shouldve negotiated BEFORE leaving Marvel, which he never bothered to do. otherwise might as well give every artist and his family a % of the cut, which isnt a viable choice.
Pre-1976, barring specific contract stipulations, this was the law. By default, the actual creator of the work owned it.

It's why Marvel spent years trying to pressure him to sign the rights over. The reason why they're not paying his estate a share today is because they managed to pressure him to do so, which is actionable in the US today.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that the estate are morally entitled to anything, just that they may have a stronger legal case than you might think, and if that's what they believe, why on Earth would they not do it?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Hmmm, this is interesting, anyone know if it's true:

Discussing this with my IP Law professor, this may actually be a good thing. When they file the cancellation of contract papers, and if the judge grants the cancellations, the Kirby family can select and choose who retains rights (along with Marvel). This could mean Fox loses X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc, and Sony loses Spidey.

This one isn't the same, as they have the same creators... and GL is an interesting case as the original was not a Lensmen rip-off...

Covar

Covar

According to io9 the Kirby estate included Spider-man on the list of characters they want rights to.

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, Doctor Occult was kind of a Superman-in-progress concept. They also did a "The Superman" story where he was this super powerful psychic villain, as well (which was kind of reused in DC's Tangent universe).

I think, today, creator-owned properties have better deals. Especially if they're independently owned, such as Kirkman's Invincible or Mignola's Hellboy, which are owned entirely by them but distributed through Image and Dark Horse, respectively.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

According to io9 the Kirby estate included Spider-man on the list of characters they want rights to.
THAT'S bull (their claim, not you :)). Kirby drew the cover for Spidey's first appearance and some issues of Amazing, but that's it.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

THAT'S bull (their claim, not you :)). Kirby drew the cover for Spidey's first appearance and some issues of Amazing, but that's it.
Yeah, this part is pretty weird. Particularly since Stan Lee supposedly changed the entire character concept to avoid overlapping with one of Kirby's properties.

Apparently, they're claiming specific characters as well.

They also name the following characters as being Kirby co-creations: Aunt May; Uncle Ben; J. Jonah Jameson; Flash Thompson; the Chameleon; the Vulture; the Tinkerer; and the Lizard. Also, the Daily Bugle and specific storylines are included in the notice.
Um, what? The others aside, didn't Stan Lee and Ditko create JJ themselves as a parody of Stan Lee?

This part of lawsuit definitely makes it more like they're just trying to shock the hell out of Marvel, then "as a show of good faith", they'll let go of "their" claim to Spider-Man.

Norris

Norris

I also don't quite get how this would work...because only one major Kirby creation has defined by Kirby's run on the character. The X-Men were defined more by Claremont and the artists he worked with than ANYONE before that, most folks would say that the definitive Daredevil run is Frank Miller's, John Byrne refined the hell out of the Fantastic Four, Walt Simonson's Thor is critically lauded, as is Peter David's Hulk (and Planet Hulk), etc.

The Seigel case was, as I understood it, leaps and bounds different. As I understood it, he comes up with this idea for the adventures of Superman when he was boy (Ma and Pa Kent, Smallville, the whole shebang) and get's turned down. He goes off to fight in WWII. DC (or whatever the hell it was then) decides to hand the basic premise off to another writer and make a Superboy comic. That's a pretty clear cut case of having your idea stolen. Kirby didn't have his ideas stolen. He didn't take them with him when he left, he never (to my knowledge) tried to get them back in his lifetime, and now that he's been dead for 15 years....why the hell does it matter? Because Disney just purchased Marvel to the tune of $4 billion.

Additionally, my personal opinion here, any judgment in their favor should take into account the decades of promotion and continuation Marvel did of the character concepts The King created. If Marvel had simply let the characters drop after Jack finished his runs on them, they'd likely be appearing in Project: Super Powers right now alongside Red Mask, Fighting Yank, and The Black Terror.

JCM

Hmmm, this is interesting, anyone know if it's true:

Discussing this with my IP Law professor, this may actually be a good thing. When they file the cancellation of contract papers, and if the judge grants the cancellations, the Kirby family can select and choose who retains rights (along with Marvel). This could mean Fox loses X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc, and Sony loses Spidey.
True, but then, as that guy put it so eloquently-
The Seigel case was, as I understood it, leaps and bounds different. As I understood it, he comes up with this idea for the adventures of Superman when he was boy (Ma and Pa Kent, Smallville, the whole shebang) and get's turned down. He goes off to fight in WWII. DC (or whatever the hell it was then) decides to hand the basic premise off to another writer and make a Superboy comic. That's a pretty clear cut case of having your idea stolen. Kirby didn't have his ideas stolen. He didn't take them with him when he left, he never (to my knowledge) tried to get them back in his lifetime, and now that he's been dead for 15 years....why the hell does it matter? Because Disney just purchased Marvel to the tune of $4 billion.
This
This one isn't the same, as they have the same creators... and GL is an interesting case as the original was not a Lensmen rip-off...
Bullshit.

GL is step by step Lensmen, like a reskin, with every concept copied off and given a new name. Heck, there are a million things that GL took off from Lensmen (either by the world's number one coincidence, or intentionally) than there are in Deadpool and Deathstroke (hey, they are contract killers with many guns, and have similar costumes)

Comics at the time copied off heavily from the pulps and other comics, heck, taking a look at, lets say, DC franchises, its almost all a cut and paste and glue everything job.

Superman could only leap over tall buildings and run faster than a speeding bullet (oh, and he was strong), but when Captain Marvel started getting popular, Superman started gaining every other power that appeared in Cpt Marvel.

Aquaman? Old Aquaman, pulp rip-off, Silver age had Namor's story and powers slapped onto him.

The original Batman was a gun-toting Vigilante that screamed Deja Vu of the shadow.

If

ThatNickGuy

Ah, but Captain Marvel was created to produce another Superman character, which just about every single comic creator was trying to do. So, it's all cyclical.

Also, Batman's gun-toting days were very short lived.

Namor was a response by Marvel to create their OWN Aquaman, and then DC changed him around to thus compete with him. Again, it's all cyclical.

Lensmen, I won't get into, since I've never heard of it, to be honest.

JCM

Ah, but Captain Marvel was created to produce another Superman character, which just about every single comic creator was trying to do. So, it's all cyclical.

Also, Batman's gun-toting days were very short lived.
Sure, because Batman went to a "fun" style for kids, with Joker fights on giant props.

It took Doug Moench and Neil Adams in the 70s to make Batman something more than a kid's funny comic.
Namor was a response by Marvel to create their OWN Aquaman, and then DC changed him around to thus compete with him. Again, it's all cyclical.
Wrong and Wrong.

1) Namor was created in April 1939, Aquaman, who was just a scientist who could swim and talk to fishes, came in Nov. 1941. Aquaman was already a copied concept, with the talking to fishes already done by Namor, and in the 70s they copied the rest off.

2) Along with Captain America and the original Human Torch, it predates Marvel by 30 years, with "Marvel" launching in 1961.

Lensmen, I won't get into, since I've never heard of it, to be honest.
Thank god.

ThatNickGuy

*shrug* I stand corrected. My history of fish-talking characters sucks. :p

JCM

On the green lantern, Cracked's article is pretty informative-
Email
6 Famous Characters You Didn't Know Were Shameless Rip Offs

#2.
The Green Lantern

Green Lantern is the only superhero who can make a giant cue the shape of a dong to play pool with planets, and yet get his ass kicked by Sesame Street's Big Bird because he's allergic to the color yellow.
He is a Rip-Off of:
The classic space opera series Lensman started in 1937, and since then, just like Thomas Jefferson before it, fought injustice and left enough bastard children around to populate a small city.
Every sci-fi series with some sort of space police owes something to Lensman, from the Jedi Knights of Star Wars to Buzz Lightyear. If it has space policemen then it's ripping off Lensman or ripping off something that ripped it off first. The apple that fell closest to the tree was the Green Lantern Corps.
The first Green Lantern was created just one year after the first Lensman story was published, but back then Green Lantern was just one guy who found a magic ring and he wasn't weak against yellow but to wood, making the banana tree the only natural predator of all Green Lanterns. Or maybe, also, really racist cartoons of Asian people with baseball bats.
In 1950, the original Green Lantern had been out of print for quite a few years and DC comics thought it was time to bring back the name. Now this time he was part of a group of space policemen, which are like regular policemen but they stop black people in fancy cars in space. Now, unlike the Jedi Knights who were happy to just copy the general idea of space policemen and a few things here and there, the Green Lanterns Corps went overboard.
The Lensmen were created by the most advanced alien race in the universe, the Arisians. The Green Lanterns were created by the Oans. The Lensmen are chosen for being the epitome of bravery and honesty, just like the Green Lanterns (how they even measure that is never explained, probably have them fill out a questionnaire). Finally, both organizations give their member a special, unique weapon that can be used by nobody else but the person to whom it was given. In Lensmen's case a lens that gives them telepathic powers, and in Green Lantern's case the ring that can't protect you from banana peels.
The creators of Green Lantern deny even knowing about Lensman, which is odd coming from sci-fi writers talking about a sci-fi series that was well known in its time. It would be like \"Star Wars? Nope, doesn't ring a bell...\" coming from your local nerd. As a bit of a nod and wink, a Green Lantern was created as a homage to the Lensman series (Arisia, named after the planet where the Arisians from Lensman come from).
Also, although it doesn't count as a rip-off, according to comic historians the Oans, the blue midget aliens who go around giving out Green Lantern rings, are based on David Ben-Gurion, the first prime minister of Israel. And we are including the picture because we love the side by side comparisons pictures thing.
That's just weird.
#1.
Batman

Oh, shit. We went there.
He is a Rip-Off of:
El Zorro! Yes, the guy with the sword.
Zorro, created by Johnston McCulley, debuted in 1919 in the pulp magazine All Story Weekly. And while some of the things that make Batman Batman were inspired by other sources (his rogues gallery was inspired by the army of fugly mutants Dick Tracy has been putting in jail since 1931) a big bunch of them were copied from Zorro.
Zorro was first at being a millionaire playboy-slash-dark costumed evil face puncher. Zorro had a secret cave under his mansion where he kept his horse and Zorro stuff, not unlike a certain caped crusader. The big difference being that Zorro didn't call it the Zorrocave or the Zorrohorse.
Zorro was also the first hero with a butler, his trusty servant Bernardo. But Alfred is probably more useful since Bernardo was deaf and mute. With Alfred you just have to yell \"Hey, go make me a hotdog.\" With Bernard you have to mimic putting a sausage in your mouth, rub your tummy and then hope he doesn't think you want him to fellate you.
And last, Zorro also hid his secret costumed persona by pretending to be a complete foppish rich douche long before Bruce Wayne. Although, to be fair, the Scarlet Pimpernel invented this one in 1903, but nobody counts him since he committed the crime of having a superhero name that was lame despite having the word \"pimp\" in it.
The connections are so obvious DC comics doesn't bother to deny them. In fact, the movie lil' Bruce Wayne goes to see with his parents the night they're shot is The Mark of Zorro.
A clever nod to the original masked vigilante? Maybe. Or maybe in an effort to keep their secret safe, Batman's creators were trying to send a message to children: if you go see anything with Zorro in it, your family will be killed.

ThatNickGuy

Honestly, there's a fine line between ripoff and inspiration. I think with Zorro, it's more of an inspiration, since it wasn't just Zorro they took for inspiration, but The Shadow, vampires, etc.

Superman was partly inspired by Doc Savage and Nietzche's Ubermensh.

Green Lantern looks to be yet another comic book inspired by its superhero pulp predescesors.

There's nothing wrong with taking an idea from someone else, tweaking it and doing something different with it. How do you think Shakespeare made a living? Even his two most original plays, Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest were inspired by other's works (Midsummer with The Fairy Queen; Tempest with various travel writers at the time and their accounts of the New World).

JCM

Honestly, there's a fine line between ripoff and inspiration. I think with Zorro, it's more of an inspiration, since it wasn't just Zorro they took for inspiration, but The Shadow, vampires, etc.

Superman was partly inspired by Doc Savage and Nietzche's Ubermensh.
Or if you read the article, a pulp called Gladiator, in which there was a character with the same origin story, and powers.
Green Lantern looks to be yet another comic book inspired by its superhero pulp predescesors.
Green Lanter himslef, yeah, inspired, but the Green Lantern Corps is a straight photocopy, with some cute renaming.

Its like making a character who is blatlant ripoff of a Jedi, but calling them the pineapple order, and making the lightsaber a lightaxe. Oh, and reading the bit about Lucas, I wouldnt doubt Lensmen inspired the whole idea of the Jedi Order.
There's nothing wrong with taking an idea from someone else, tweaking it and doing something different with it. How do you think Shakespeare made a living? Even his two most original plays, Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest were inspired by other's works (Midsummer with The Fairy Queen; Tempest with various travel writers at the time and their accounts of the New World).
Agreed.

This is why I entered in this subject, to say Deadpool is a copy of Deathstroke is rather a long shot, when there are countless characters that have been almost copied off with much more in common than just "killer"and "has costume that looks like the others"

Anyway, thanks to this thread I found audiobook recordings of the original Lensmen pulps. I love this forum

@Li3n

@Li3n

GL is step by step Lensmen, like a reskin, with every concept copied off and given a new name. Heck, there are a million things that GL took off from Lensmen (either by the world's number one coincidence, or intentionally) than there are in Deadpool and Deathstroke (hey, they are contract killers with many guns, and have similar costumes)
Alan Scott would like to have a word with you...

in case it isn't clear, i said that GL didn't start as a Lensmen rip off, not that the Silver Age reboot wasn't one...

As for Deadpool, well i recall reading somewhere that "you do the Deathstroke in the Deadpool" was actually a joke Liefeld actualy used... (but of course as something i heard on the internet it might not be trustworthy).

Superman could only leap over tall buildings and run faster than a speeding bullet (oh, and he was strong), but when Captain Marvel started getting popular, Superman started gaining every other power that appeared in Cpt Marvel.
That's not accurate either... what Supes stole was female and younger version of him, and making his scientist enemy bald (but apparently that was a mistake at printing or drawing)... and one could argue flight, as Cpt. Marvel did it in his serial before Supes did it in his cartoon (and kryptonite and some Daily Planet cast came from the radio show etc.)... but i'm not sure about who did it first in the comics...

Anyhow, when DC sued the last decision was that Marvel was not a Supes rip off, but that some stories used might be (one Cpt. Marvel writer admited they where "encouraged" to copy stories from Action Comics), which is why they settled after, for fear that they'd have to pay when the comics wheren't making as much money as they used to. Seems unlikely they'd do that if they could have counter sued because Supes stole powers from Cpt. Marvel...

Of course Namor had flight before them (1939, in his first appearence).

Oh, and not only did Supes had Hugo Danner's powers, but the iconic cover of Action Comics #1 where he lifts the car over his head is taken straight from a scene in the book. And the book probably doesn't qualify as a pulp either based on it's synopsis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator_(novel)

JCM

No sweat... anyway, without the Lensmen influence, we might not have had GL corps or Jedi Knights, and seeing that the only DC comics I buy are GL comics, I gotta be thankful for that.

For anyone that wants it- here are the Lensmen audiobooks
http://www.rapidfind.org/upload/showthread.php?t=197033