Jeff Dunham - puppet comic extraordinaire

What are your thoughts on Jeff Dunham

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious what ya'll think of the man that might be the most popular/successful stand-up comic in America.

And if you were wondering, yes, I am planning to heavily judge poll responses and posts in this thread.

Is he really that big? I mean to be even arguably the most popular comic today.

Granted, I haven't really been keeping track of who's big right now but he's always seemed kinda "meh"

What's Chris Rock doing these days?

I voted that he's not very good, or bad.

My reasoning is that he -can- be funny. He just often isn't. I think he started to spiral into unfunniness around the time he started using the terrorist puppet.

Oh, and the stereotypical black pimp puppet.

Ross

Staff member
His jokes get old very fast for me... but I find him to be mildly humorous.

I'll check out his new show, though, and see where they decided to go with it.

I voted that he isn't very bad, or very good.

I did so because the first stand-up of his I saw, I really enjoyed for whatever reason.

However, he's really just a one-trick pony, and once you've seen it, you need never see it again. I don't find him all that funny, I just enjoyed the ventriloquism which (not having other ventriloquists to judge upon) I thought was amazing.

In conclusion: I am 8 years old and easily amused. But I can't bring myself to watch this man anymore.

Cajungal

Staff member
Like Bumble said, gets old fast.

The Ahmed character... I won't lie, a couple of the jokes have made me laugh. But it still bugs me, mostly because of some people's reaction that the character is "funny because it's true." :confused:

There are way better comedians out there who can keep it fresh. Ventriloquism is an interesting talent... not always good for standup though.

I thought he was okay. I have friends who talk about him like he's the messiah.

I haven't seen a lot of his stuff. My favorite bit that he does is the [STRIKE]Don Rickles[/STRIKE] Old Man puppet, but there's only so much of it I can watch.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Meh. I can name 300 stand-up comics in America who are more popular/successful.

Yeah, this joke is gonna get old eventually. But I still find it funny and that's all that matters.

W

Wasabi Poptart

As Bumble said, when I first saw him I thought he was funny. Now, I don't think he's good or bad. He's just ok.

He's great, but he seems to go a long time between making new material. As for the "most popular/successful stand-up comic in America." title... that goes to Dane Cook. He's selling out stadiums/music venues consistantly even today. Too bad he's not funny.

Dave

Staff member
My family LOVES him, but I could care less.

I'm not a big fan of ventriloquists anyway. I always watch their lips and think that they should be doing better.

I remember seeing him on the Improv on A&E. He was funny as a ventriloquist Walter was quite funny 20 years ago. The dead Terrorist goes for the cheapest of laughs. and it has been 8 years now since he updated his act.

Side note, A&E, what happened you you? Used to be the greatest basic cable channel now it is just Reality Shows and Re-Runs of other stations' crap. There is not Art and it is not very Entertaining.

fade

Staff member
HAHAHA you like jokes different from the ones I like, so you're inferior to me! HAHAHA!

Oy vey, really?

Also, taggers need to look up the definition of racism. Caricatures may be insensitive, but not necessarily racist.

Of course the strangest Ventriloquist act of all time, of all time. Is Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy. He was the most popular stand up comedian of his time. But his popularity mostly came from doing his act on the radio.

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Jeff Dunham is great. Yeah, once he comes out with new material, he rides it into the ground. But, let's say you have 100 appearances in a year, you're not going to come up with 100 different bits. He adjusts it for where he's at and goes with it. Plus, when he improvs in the voices, he's really funny. If you have the DVDs, watch the bonus materials. It might be cliched humor, but it's funny and the guy has a lot of talent. With the glory of netflix, I've been watching a good deal of stand up and it all blows compared to Jeff Dunham. Maybe it's how my head is wired for humor, but I laugh a lot more watching him make some dummy talk.

I will admit that the redneck, superhero, and pimp are incredibly weak. Walter, Peanut/Jose Jalapeno, and Achmed are really good, even if the voices do crisscross a little bit. I also get bored of watching him make appearances after watching whatever DVD is new, because it's a rehash of the same thing.

Backlash against Jeff Dunham comes across more as hating the new popular thing because it's been driven into the ground. There are some opinions that sound like good, thought out, and reasonable. Not everyone likes the same thing. Awesome. But others are just more of the "I have this opinion because I don't really have an opinion and want to bash whatever is popular on the internet/culture". Because THAT never happens, right?

S

SeraRelm

I think he's a hack who got lucky. I don't find him funny, I find him annoying. His ventriloquism is sub par and he's riding it. The only reason he's making it big is because he's using mediocre humor with puppets at a time when that fad has died down enough to explode again.

His act is incredibly racist. I have no idea how anyone could argue this point. I don't hate him because he's popular. I think Dane Cook's act is lame, but I wouldn't say I hate him. I don't begrudge him for taking advantage of the stupidity of the american people at large. I just wish they weren't.

C

crono1224

Grue, and yet neither of those are still touring / popular now, they maybe great but they aren't current.

Also i guess racism is a funky word, is he racist? no(at least assuming he isn't, guess he could be), is his act racist? hard to say sounds more like identifying racial stereotypes. If the people in the crowd go ha ha, thats so what they do, then its more likely that simply his audience is racist.

Also who cares if he plays to the crowd, i guess he should be sorry that he knows how to please a huge core demographic and make shit tons of money.

For me: I think he is funny, but i deffinatly can see that type of humor getting played out fast, aka the videos have less of a replay value for me, then say bill cosby, or chris rock.

ElJuski

Staff member
I think he's a hack who got lucky. I don't find him funny, I find him annoying. His ventriloquism is sub par and he's riding it. The only reason he's making it big is because he's using mediocre humor with puppets at a time when that fad has died down enough to explode again.

Observe above for a proper assessment of the situation.

And yes, that terrorist muppet is pretty racist.

M

meyoumeyou

To me, fairly entertaining with a couple of the puppets, quickly boring on repeat viewings.

Q

Qonas

I refused to eat at a restaurant unless it served blackened chicken, until a kind college-educated chap in his 20s taught me the evils of racism. Now I eat african-americaned chicken.

Status
Not open for further replies.