Export thread

JULY Contest - 2010 World Cup Pool

Dave

Dave

Yes, I know this is early. But I'm announcing the July contest because it spans 2 months.

I have started a pool for the 2010 World Cup! Get points for correct picks and for correctly guessing the score of the game, most points at the end wins. The prize? Either FIFA 2010 or 2010 FIFA World Cup game for any platform (or any other game of equal or lesser value).

Join and make your picks at this address: http://y.ahoo.it/tQYUNDHG password is halforums

Sign on up and let's see how good a picker you are!

Scoring is as follows:

• Earn points for correctly picking the outcome of the game.
  • Bonuses are awarded for correctly guessing the final score of the game at the end of regulation or extra time.
Point System

Stage - Correct Pick - Correct Score
Group Stage - 2 pts - 1 pt
Round of 16 - 4 pts - 2 pts
Quarter Final - 6 pts - 3 pts
Semi Final - 8 pts - 4 pts
Third Place - 6 pts - 3 pts
Final - 10 pts - 5 pts

Max Group Stage Score - 144 pts
Max Knockout Stage Score - 132 pts
Max Total Score - 276 pts

Calleja

Calleja

Holy shit this may be awesome.

Question... the limit for each round pick really is 5 minutes before the game? So that means I can change my picks for the group interval 2 when I see the results for the first one, same thing with knockout round?

Dave

Dave

You should be able to, yes.

Calleja

Calleja

I was in the middle of typing this when the maintenance started:

Also.. can the winner choose a game of equal value to FIFA 2010 that's NOT FIFA 2010? I love watching the world cup, I do, but football (IT'S FOOTBALL, NOT SOCCER) games bore me to DEATH.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hmm... Mexico against South Africa. I'm gonna go with 4-1 to the South Africans.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm in... like Flynn.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

It's been years since I paid attention to soccer, but this should be fun.

Calleja

Calleja

Also.. can the winner choose a game of equal value to FIFA 2010 that's NOT FIFA 2010? I love watching the world cup, I do, but football (IT'S FOOTBALL, NOT SOCCER) games bore me to DEATH.
Wow, that's a great question! I wonder why no one has answered this fine young fellow.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Wow, that's a great question! I wonder why no one has answered this fine young fellow.[/QUOTE]

We all assumed he was too busy trying to convince Mav that [STRIKE]PvP wasn't really about videogame jokes[/STRIKE] Lost wasn't actually about the mysteries. :p

Dave

Dave

Wow, that's a great question! I wonder why no one has answered this fine young fellow.[/QUOTE]

Sure why not? Or a game of equal or lesser value.

General Specific

General Specific

What the hell, I'm in.

I look forward to losing horribly. I know nothing about the various SOCCER teams. :p

Calleja

Calleja

You play with your FEET, it's FOOTBALL.

Your "football" is played with your HANDS, it should be called HANDBALL. or TACKLEBALL or something.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

You don't call it "football" Mex, you call it "Futbol." (and no, I'm not gonna find the stupid accent marks.)

Calleja

Calleja

uh... some people spell it phonetically in Spanish, yes. It's still pronounced the same, you weirdo.

Plus, even in spanish, I always use "football", because "futbol" is almost as stupid as "basquetbol".

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Hey now, don't lie to me. I've seen it on TV, so it must be true. ;)

Dave

Dave

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
*several minutes later*
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!

This is why they keep the scoring low. The announcers are annoying as shit.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Element 117

i got my team shirt. live streaming via
http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/soccer-futbol#
gonna get me some beers and get buzzed starting monday!

Dave

Dave

The games start Friday! Don't forget to get in your team picks!

Holy Knickers

Holy Knickers

You play with your FEET, it's FOOTBALL.

Your "football" is played with your HANDS, it should be called HANDBALL. or TACKLEBALL or something.
I have started calling "American football" THROWBALL it makes more sense.

Calleja

Calleja

THROWBALL! Now that's a good name, they throw that ball all the time, don't they?

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

Oh, and I meant to put this in THIS thread:

I've tweaked my predictions people... I'm playing for wins! I've never really participated or won in any forum games, and I intend to make this one count! RAWR!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

All right! I got one pick correct today, missed on the score, but got the result!! Yes!! Hahahaha! Watch my dust losers!

The preceding is probably the only time I'll be able to celebrate for this tourney, so please forgive my exuberance.

General Specific

General Specific

Yeah? Well i got NOTHING! I'm tied for last so far! Take that!

Calleja

Calleja

I've got 2 correct picks now, but it's only counting the points for one?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Looks like your points are there to me Kalooga. Might just take a little while for the updates to happen at times.

Calleja

Calleja

GODDAMMIT! Will teams please STOP TIEING?! (tying? drawing? ... playing games that end in a draw. cough.) Seriously, I barely even predicted 6 of those.

Holy Knickers

Holy Knickers

Aaaaaand Knickers takes the lead!

Dave

Dave

I hear that too often.

General Specific

General Specific

So, they kick a ball around a field for what seems like days and can still wind up with a tie at the end? Possibly even a scoreless tie if we're all just real lucky? They don't have like a shootout until a winner is had or anything? Seems kinda pointless. Also, this game is more boring than Baseball.

Calleja

Calleja

There's no need for extra time or penalties in the points round... the knockout round does have that, though.

bhamv3

bhamv3

So, they kick a ball around a field for what seems like days and can still wind up with a tie at the end? Possibly even a scoreless tie if we're all just real lucky? They don't have like a shootout until a winner is had or anything? Seems kinda pointless. Also, this game is more boring than Baseball.
I used to think that. Then after I moved to the UK and started watching it more, I realized scoring isn't everything. There's plenty else to appreciate, lots of other things going on elsewhere.

Also, I think it'll be better if I just predict draws for every match from now on.

tegid

tegid

I think it's pretty sad when a sport is only exciting if the teams are scoring all the time (or if you only feel excited when they score). My view, no offense meant...

Calleja

Calleja

A great save can be just as exciting as a great goal. A beautiful play is just as clap worthy as a goal. Heck, a great DRIBBLE from an awesome player can be reason enough to watch a game.

General Specific

General Specific

The ten minutes of nothing in between those moments are still boring, though.

Calleja

Calleja

I find basketball to be waaaay more boring than football to watch. One team gets the ball, they score. The other team gets the ball.. they score. Rinse, repeat. Boring.

It's a game I love to play but can't sit down to watch. Quite the opposite to football which I suck at playing but love watching.

(disclaimer: Calleja will now ALWAYS mean "soccer" when he says football, ALWAYS... tackleball gets the "american" modifier)

General Specific

General Specific

I find basketball to be waaaay more boring than SOCCER to watch. One team gets the ball, they score. The other team gets the ball.. they score. Rinse, repeat. Boring. It's a game I love to play but can't sit down to watch. Quite the opposite to SOCCER which I suck at playing but love watching.
I agree with you about basketball and will add most sports to it. The only game I can sit down and watch is Football (note: NOT Soccer). Even that can be boring at times and I have to be interested in one team or the outcome to even want to see it.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Baseball is the most boring to me, two people playing catch and somebody in the middle trying to interrupt. A perfect game... nobody interrupts the catch session. Arghhhh.

Rovewin

Rovewin

I have to say that baseball has to be the most boring sport, even playing baseball is boring for me let alone trying to watch it. Basketball isn't quite as repetitive as you make it out to be. Yeah there's a lot of scoring but that just means there is a lot more chances for a great play to actually affect the score. I think its one of the few sports where playing it and watching it can both be fun.

I do think the games are getting better for the world cup since teams are playing their second games now and are actually trying to win this time (looking at you Uruguay) and they should only get better when the group stages are over.

General Specific

General Specific

Golf is the most boring to me. I seriously don't understand how anyone can watch it.

Dave

Dave

Now that we're down to the pool of 16, don't forget to put in your picks for the elimination rounds!

Can anyone catch up to Rovewin? We'll have to see!

Calleja

Calleja

WTF, I just hit the score for the Spain match but it's not showing up in the overall standings.... is there a delay or something? It's been like 10 min now...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

There's definitely a short delay every time.

Calleja

Calleja

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!! I was going to put in the score for the Brazil game this morning, but even though I filled it in, I was left thinking about the next match, Paraguay-Japan, but something distracted me before I did and I just elft the tab open... without saving my pick.

So I have no guess fro the Brazil match... and Rovewin is going to jump ahead from me... AGAIN. Oh man, I am so not giving up.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

You might have to hack his yahoo account at this rate. :p

Rovewin

Rovewin

You might have to hack his yahoo account at this rate. :p
Please No. @Calleja Thats why I filled in every thing (including those games we dont know whos playing yet) just in case I forget one day I will still have a score in there for at least a chance. Plus every match is worth more so next round a wrong guess for me and a correct one and correct score from you puts you right there to win it.

Calleja

Calleja

I can't believe I didn't get points for such an easy guess as the brazil match.... stupid, stupid!!

The japan-paraguay is giving me trouble, I just can't see a clear winner. Which is why I was left to ponder it so long that I got distracted and didn't save my prediction for the Brazil match.

sigh

I has a sad.

General Specific

General Specific

Ok, seriously, fuck you, Germany. I don't pick you and you win by multiple goals. I finally pick you and you lose 0-1. WTF?

Calleja

Calleja

Remember my little Brazil mistake? I'd be in first place if it weren't for it.

Fuck.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!

Rovewin

Rovewin

Remember my little Brazil mistake? I'd be in first place if it weren't for it.

Fuck.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!
That game was only worth 4 points. You would still be one behind.

Gah I am so upset with you Germany. Dashing my hopes two world cups in a row by doing phenomenal the entire tournament than looking so disoriented in the semis.

Calleja

Calleja

No, I had inputted the CORRECT FUCKING SCORE!! AND I DIDN'T SAVE IT!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Dave

Dave

And the winner is....ROVEWIN!!

He finishes with 130 points, 2 ahead of Tegid and 5 up on Calleja.

So when you decide which version of the FIFA game you want, let me know by PM with the name & address & it'll be winging its way to your door so you can relive the glory of your victory!

Calleja

Calleja

Aw man, I felt it CLOSE! I hate myself for that Brazil-Chile screw up.

Some day I'm gonna win a forum game, people, SOME DAY!!!

General Specific

General Specific

I am pleasantly surprised to come in 4th