Just got a French press.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cvgurau

So, My sister just gave me a French press she wasn't using. Which is cool. Going to school in downtown Portland, I see these things everywhere, and I long to be as bourgois and as full of myself as the rest of the art scene in downtown PDX.

Thing is, I know nothing about french press coffee/tea, and I didn't want to waste any money on crap brands. So I'm asking you guys. What's your favorite kind of coffee/tea to use? What should I stay away from? And is it true that FP coffee is considered expired free twenty minutes? :confused:. (I ted to make a pot if coffee that'll last all day, so that part would suck.)

Thanks in advance.

Cris. :heythere:

Stop at your local coffee shop and pick up their coffee, it's gonna be better than anything you can get from starbucks/grocery store. All coffee can be considered expired after 20 minutes. Just like people say food is never as good reheated as it is fresh. If you are still OK with drinking coffee made 12 hours ago, more power to ya, it's your choice. The only thing with french press is take it off the grounds and put it in a carafe or pot of some kind as soon as it is done brewing if you aren't going to drink it all.

My only advice is try all types of coffee and find out what you like. Darker isn't always better. What is considered a great coffee doesn't mean shit if you don't like it. Fresher is always better.

I really prefer a darker roast in my French Press. I like a rare light roast and I usually like medium to brew but in FP? I really only like Dark. Ah... FP coffee... is there anything better?

Ask around and see what the company formerly known as Coffee People is going by these days (they got bought out by Starbucks and shut down, but a loophole in the purchase contract allowed them to open back up under a different name). They have some damn good coffee and tea, they were my favorites in PDX. They're also friendly, and will help you find a coffee that you like to drink.

Espy said:
I really prefer a darker roast in my French Press. I like a rare light roast and I usually like medium to brew but in FP? I really only like Dark. Ah... FP coffee... is there anything better?
I'm the opposite, I really only like medium roasts. I'm not a big fan of dark roasts though. Like I said, try it all and find what you like.

L

Laurelai

We haven't bought pre-roasted coffee in years. http://sweetmarias.com/
I bought our roaster here and there's a bajillion different types of coffee here you can roast. As a friend of mine (who also roasts his own coffee) says "Your worst home roast will be better than any roast you buy at a store." I tend to agree.
... of course, then he tells me about the story when he fell asleep when he was roasting (he uses an air popcorn popper) and black smoke was belching of his popper- apparently he woke up just before combustion occurred-

It might come as a shock to some, but I'm a coffee snob. :zoid:

One very important thing people tend to overlook in the French press process is the grind. The cheapo whirring blade thing won't cut it, it will make too much fine dust. You want a decent burr grinder set on coarse grind, which is what the coffee shops use. I use this one, which works well: http://morecoffee.com/view_product/6492 ... rr_Grinder

(That entire business rocks, btw. That's where I get most of my beer and wine-making stuff)

I also have a hand-cranked burr grinder and mini-French press I take on trips. I got some funny looks from the guys on a recent bachelor party weekend in the mountains, but their hungover asses were begging for some beanage soon enough.

Man, when I read the title, I thought it was some kind of sexual thing.

Then I hovered over and read the sister part and was like :Leyla:.

fade

Staff member
I love a french press cup o' joe, but I hate the cleanup. That little screen is a pain.

fade said:
I love a french press cup o' joe, but I hate the cleanup. That little screen is a pain.
Mine rinses off fairly easily, and I just toss it in the dishwasher once a week or so. Maybe your grind is too fine?

C

cvgurau

I knew I'd have to pay for coffee (uh-doy), but now I gotta buy a grinder?

Hell; is it worth it? :eek:rly:

If you don't want to spend a lot of cash, get a Bodum whirly blade grinder. It will work just fine. Just don't over grind. I would grind a couple seconds shake, and grind again for a couple seconds. You want a good course grind with very little powder.

Coffee shops will also grind it for you if you ask them, just make sure you tell them it's for a french press. I wouldn't buy more than a half pound at a time if you do that.

Alors, il faut que tu l'utilise aujourd'hui, le Quatorze Juillet!

(or something, my grammar sucks)

Status
Not open for further replies.