Export thread

Knife Recommendation?

Creature

So, I run in my neighborhood every day. Recently, there have been some shady things going on, which has made me consider purchasing a small knife to wear with a leg strap sheath while I run. I already carry mace, but I feel like I need some extra protection. Can anyone give me any recommendations?

I believe that under my state's laws, the blade cannot be longer than 5 inches.

Null

Null

http://www.mercworx.com/detail.aspx?ID=23 - Mercworx makes some damn good knives.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

If you have no experience and skill handling a blade DO NOT BUY ONE WITH THE BELIEF IT WILL PROTECT YOU! It is more likely to be used against you in this case.

Now, on the other hand, if you do have experience and some skill with it (which I would venture to say you don't because then you'd already know what you'd buy) ... well, I'll stop there.

You should also consider that in some states regardless of blade length a knife can be considered a concealed weapon purely depending upon how you are carrying it. Leg strap in this case would qualify. Also there are often restrictions on edges. A dual edge knife is almost always looked down upon.

With all that being said I would recommend finding a local self defense/weapons class of a sort you can get involved in for carrying your knife. With the knowledge you gain there you will learn what you wish to carry.

-edit-

Personally, I carry something similar to this. It is functional as a tool but can still be used for defense.

Creature

Hooolyyy shit those are pricey. They seem great, but I can't spend that much. Any solid, cheaper options you know of? I didn't want to spend more than $75.

Null

Null

TN's got some good points, I was just thinking from a product point of view.

And you want this to be something to protect your life with, but don't want to spend a lot of money on it? Might want to think this through a bit more.

Shakey

Shakey

If you have no experience and skill handling a blade DO NOT BUY ONE WITH THE BELIEF IT WILL PROTECT YOU! It is more likely to be used against you in this case.
I'll second this.

Creature

Thanks TN, you're right. I do need to take a self defense class. I used to take martial arts when I was around 10 years old, but all of that knowledge and skill is long lost. I was trained in sticks (can't remember the exact name, collie sticks?) but nothing else. I will check into getting some training before I carry it.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Yeah, a self-defense class and mace (which you already have) will probably do you a lot of good. Me? I just carry my 7-inch Henckels kitchen knife on my belt like a badass.

..not really.

Chazwozel

I'll second this.[/QUOTE]

Thirded. One swift kick to the gut, and *pop* there goes your knife into the hands of your attacker.

Creature

LB, I am trying to not go into the $300 range because I simply cannot afford that. I thought that something cheap would have been better than nothing, but considering TN's points, maybe nothing is better!

Null

Null

Probably Kali sticks, usually called escrima sticks.

Honestly, you might be better off getting a kubotan type instrument. Easy to conceal, less likely to be illegal, and a lot harder to injure yourself with.

Creature

Kali sticks! That's them. I still have them. Not that I remember how to use them.

Chazwozel

I recommend this:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

bud k has inexpensive knives.

http://budk.com/Knives/Tomahawk-Jungle-Survivor-Knife
This one's fairly no-frills and costs $5.00

Personally, I like to carry my big aluminum tinwhistle around with me. It has more reach, could be potentially just as deadly, and it makes me as cool as David Carridine's flute-kung-fuing character in Circle of Iron (a character 100 times more cool than Kwai Chang Caine). And cops don't usually hassle you for carrying around a musical instrument.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Thanks TN, you're right. I do need to take a self defense class. I used to take martial arts when I was around 10 years old, but all of that knowledge and skill is long lost. I was trained in sticks (can't remember the exact name, collie sticks?) but nothing else. I will check into getting some training before I carry it.
If you mean Kali, that's really useful. Not only might something like that be more legal to carry under the correct circumstances, there also tends to be a lot of training focusing around defending yourself from knife attacks, weapon disarms, and being able to pick up stuff of the same approximate size and weight and use it if you have to.

These days, you might have some luck finding mixed self-defense art classes that integrate a lot of different styles. In college, my Go-ju Karate dojo that also worked in Jiu-Jitsu and Kali to round out self-defense a bit more.

Null

Null

Yeah, I still have mine, too. But at 28" long, they're not exactly something you can stick in your pocket.

Creature

Oh, oh I remember now. I took Wing Chun. I wasn't far from a black belt either. I wish I would have finished.

Element 117

3rd.

Null

Null

Any weapon you don't know how to use is a liability, not an asset. Whether it's pepper spray, a knife, a lightsaber, or an orbital railgun.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Mace is OK, unless it is windy or raining. And it works well against stray dogs. A knife is a pretty bad idea. Even if you successfully defend yourself, you will likely face jail time for assault with a deadly weapon.

I assume you are in decent shape, just keep running.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gerber-Evo-Tanto-Knife/11071292

Is what I carry. basically I keep a thin, light-weight lock-blade with a belt clip that you can operate one handed.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My only advice is not to get anything cheap. Cheaply made knives tend to snap or bend when you put any real weight into them due to shoddy work. If your actually planning on putting your life on the line with a knife, you really should consider shelling out the big bucks for one or getting a surplus military issue one.

Element 117

I use this when running. http://www.productsifter.com/Gadgets/PersonalSafetyAlarms/Reacta-Alarm-review.aspx 138 decibels. It's a use it, and sprint like hell chance. I like that it goes off if you let go of it, so if you're grabbed from behind you can still set it off reactively. Still, you cut your chances of attack when you run/ go out with a partner, and know when it's safer to go out.

Baerdog

Baerdog

3rd.[/QUOTE]
Fourthed?

If you're really intent on getting a knife though, just remember...

THAT'S a knoife!

Dave

Dave

Another thing you can do is alter your routine. Don't run the same route at the same time. Change it up. The more predictable you are the better they can devise a way to take you out with minimal effort.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

or go home!

General Specific

General Specific

If you're really intent on getting a knife though, just remember...

THAT'S a knoife!

Creature

I use this when running. http://www.productsifter.com/Gadgets/PersonalSafetyAlarms/Reacta-Alarm-review.aspx 138 decibels. It's a use it, and sprint like hell chance. I like that it goes off if you let go of it, so if you're grabbed from behind you can still set it off reactively. Still, you cut your chances of attack when you run/ go out with a partner, and know when it's safer to go out.
Awesome recommendation. I will definitely be getting this.

Another thing you can do is alter your routine. Don't run the same route at the same time. Change it up. The more predictable you are the better they can devise a way to take you out with minimal effort.
Great idea, too.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Element 117

I didn't bother to look, but if you're female, take a month of specialized self defense escape training, even if it's a refresher course for what you already know. Really important as it helps you hone fight or flight reaction into instinctual routine, and knowing what to do with the fear adrenaline.

If you're a guy, just run around naked with toothpaste foam in your mouth area, I guess?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

basically the only things you should carry while out exercising, a key to your front door and your driver's license. lose the iPod, and keep the mace. if you have a way to carry a cellphone those are good too.

Creature

I'm a female.

General Specific

General Specific

I didn't bother to look, but if you're female, take a month of specialized self defense escape training, even if it's a refresher course for what you already know. Really important as it helps you hone fight or flight reaction into instinctual routine, and knowing what to do with the fear adrenaline.

If you're a guy, just run around naked with toothpaste foam in your mouth area, I guess?
That works great for me

Element 117

Well, I mean, I can't really speak to guys' self defense needs or the reasons they are attacked. I just know a guy can go out walking at 3 in the morning and generally seem to feel safer than me.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

The naked toothpaste thing can have it's uses for a women too as far as I'm concerned. But probably not the best idea.

Also remember the thing about classes and all self defense. The movements and the actions you will need in a split second must become second nature or they are unreliable. And the actions don't even start to come on their own until you've done them so many times your body reacts without your mind thinking. If you have to think you're already in a bad spot. This takes practice. Lots of it.

Not trying to scare or anything, merely trying to promote the idea of practice practice practice. I am sickened by these classes and promotions I see that lead people to believe that if they take one class all of a sudden they are ready to take on the world.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Creature what state do you live in?

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

If a concealed firearm permit isn't legal in your state and/or you don't feel comfortable with them then I'd suggest a civilian tazer http://www.taser.com/pages/default.aspx there is only ONE difference between a police tazer and a civilian tazer they can both be used at range (so you can "shoot the tazer") the only difference is that a police tazer has a 5 second use where a civlian tazer, after it is shot works for 30 seconds (shoot the guy, drop the tazer run like hell for your 30 second head start). And the folks at tazer are awesome in the case you do use your tazer all you have to do is keep your reciept, file a police report and send both of those to them and they send you a new tazer for free.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Here's the consumer website for tazers http://www.itaser.com/?__utma=1.204...rganic|utmctr=taser&__utmv=-&__utmk=161803068

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

You call that a knife? Now, THIS is a knife...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Creature what state do you live in?[COLOR=\"Silver\"]

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

[/COLOR]If a concealed firearm permit isn't legal in your state and/or you don't feel comfortable with them then I'd suggest a civilian tazer http://www.taser.com/pages/default.aspx there is only ONE difference between a police tazer and a civilian tazer they can both be used at range (so you can \"shoot the tazer\") the only difference is that a police tazer has a 5 second use where a civlian tazer, after it is shot works for 30 seconds (shoot the guy, drop the tazer run like hell for your 30 second head start). And the folks at tazer are awesome in the case you do use your tazer all you have to do is keep your reciept, file a police report and send both of those to them and they send you a new tazer for free.[COLOR=\"Silver\"]

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Here's the consumer website for tazers http://www.itaser.com/?__utma=1.204...rganic|utmctr=taser&__utmv=-&__utmk=161803068
Tasers are a good option too. I'd stay away from stunguns/stunbatons though, as they have all the same problems as knives.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

You call that a knife? Now, THIS is a knife...

I see you've played knifey-spoony before....

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

For shame Halforums? Was I the only one thinking:

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

For shame Halforums? Was I the only one thinking:

SWEET POLE-DANCING JESUS!! :shocked:

Well, we now know Chaz' weapon of choice.

General Specific

General Specific

That's a little impractical for jogging, though, don't you think?

Jay

Jay

Yesssss.............

Element 117

Pssh.

coolbeans

Hey creature

As others have said, unless you have specific training at using a knife in self defence, then stay away from them. It is far to easy to lose controll of the weapon and have it turned against you.

Also pulling a knife has a potential to escalate a bad situation.

A good self defense course which teaches you to escape from grabs and get away will serve you much better, if you definetly need a last ditch weapon,Lying bastard was on the money with the kubotan, it works wonders if you jam it in their eye, neck, you can also have one on your keyring without raising to many eyebrows.

My old Aikido and current kempo club runs short courses aimed specifically at women, I'd bet theres something similar in your area.

I guess my view on self defense weapons is coloured by living in britain where carrying a knife in the manner your suggesting will get your ass thrown in jail, it would be novel over here to be able to own more than a pocket knife without s019 visiting.

edit
I guess I should have read more thoroughly and realised all my points have been made before :(

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I have a real-life anecdote that relates.

When I was 17 I moved out of my mom's house into a slum (which was all I could afford).

I was walking the half-mile to the convenience store for smokes, as I used to smoke back then, and I did that most days. One day, a couple guys that I'd seen before pulled up on the road beside me and asked me for some money. The exchange went something like this:

Them: "Hey, you got $5 I can borrow?"
Me: "No."
Them: "Where you going?"
Me: "Stop N Go"
Them: "Then you have some money."
Me: "Yeah, but it's not for you."
Them: "What's in your pockets?" (noticing that my hands haven't come out of my jacket pockets the entire time)
Me: (pulls a pair of balisong out of my pockets and flips them open)
Them: "You aren't going to stab me are you?"
Me: "Not if you quit fucking with me."
Them: "That's cool" (drives off).

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Leg hook, slam to the chest. Prone opponent.

Thumb to the eye. Blinded opponent.

Breaking a finger. Screaming, momentarily disoriented opponent.

Knee to the balls. Soprano opponent.

Element 117

Well shit, why don't you just tell the woman to become Michelle Yeoh with laser eyes? Just as practical.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well shit, why don't you just tell the woman to become Michelle Yeoh with laser eyes? Just as practical.[/QUOTE]

I was actually quite serious for once. Well, except with the soprano bit.

When I had more time and practiced Medieval swordmanship, the course also included a certain amount of dagger and unarmed combat. In all, three basic rules applied:
1.) Remove yourself from the line of attack.
2.) Maintain a strong stance.
3.) Disrupt the opponent's stance.

And it worked. I'm 6' and built like a brick shithouse, and in one exercise I ended up on my back on the grass in less than five seconds. My opponent: a sixteen-year-old slip of a girl who weighs sixty pounds soaking wet and with bricks in her pockets.

Steve

Steve

Can you find another area that may be safer to run at? At least until things cool down in your neighborhood? Is there anyone else in your neighborhood that runs who you could buddy up with? I would recommend that. Several people have commented on a knife being used on you. In many cases your attacker will blindside you. If you see him coming you will be overcome with fear. It's difficult to think straight when the fear factor jumps into play. You'd fumble for your knife and by the time you had it ready to go he'd be upon you. I like carrying a gun but it's the same thing. You get overwhelmed with fear and it's difficult to act. Self defense classes will help you stay calm and keep your wits during an attack and the pistol range will get you use to your gun where you could use it with confidence during an attack. So, 1. find a new place to run, 2. find a running mate or 3. get training and a gun.

Element 117

And it worked. I'm 6' and built like a brick shithouse, and in one exercise I ended up on my back on the grass in less than five seconds. My opponent: a sixteen-year-old slip of a girl who weighs sixty pounds soaking wet and with bricks in her pockets.
who wasn't in a life or death situation being attacked, alone. There's a difference between sparring in a staged environment and being assaulted on the street while out for a run. Unless you're Cynthia Rothrock or a similarly trained martial artist, your best option is to escape, get attention/ go to public crowded areas and call for help.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

*snip* --- your best option is to escape, get attention/ go to public crowded areas and call for help.
Well obviously.

Just wanted to point out there are other options to getting a knife.

FnordBear

FnordBear

Having some experience with small bladed weapons I recommend and give personal testimonial to the following:

http://www.trueswords.com/gerber-mark-double-edged-dagger-knife-p-5342.html

View attachment 480

Advice for fighting with a knife:

1) dont

2) If rule 1 can not be followed remember this: If your opponent has a knife you -will- get cut. Try to accept a cut in "safe" places such as the side of the arm.

3) Use your whole body as a weapon. If you are fighting someone who does not have a knife their instinct unless they are a trained fighter will be to focus on your blade. Kick, punch, gouge, don't make the novice mistake of using your knife as the only means of attack and defense.

4) For the quick take down attempt to stab, not slash, in to the meat of the upper leg or groin. On a successful stab twist the blade. This causes muscle damage that impedes their pursuit.

5) Keep your attacks quick and fluid. Don't slash, thrust. If possible hold the knife in a blade-down position to apply maximum force to the stab.

6) Do everything you can to get away from an attacker. Self-defense knife fighting is focused on neutralizing an opponents ability to cause you harm not to kill necessarily.

Attachments

Docseverin

Docseverin

Might I suggest Cold Steel the Tanto blades are my favorites http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/csstoreonline_2099_4973318 , these are good for concealment http://www.thebladeshop.com/Push_and_Neck_Models_s/145.htm , or t

Element 117

was doc just knifed by a ninja midpost?

Docseverin

Docseverin

Oh really quick, if you're being attacked yell FIRE! as loud as you can. People tend to avoid conflicts and attacks such as rape but will run to a fire.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I suggest carrying mace:

Sorry, I'm not being very helpful, am I? =p

Element 117

Carry the scary gif That NickGuy has in her sig.

Philosopher B.

Personally, I'd love to have some brass knuckles, but I think those are illegal in NJ.

Also, this thread reminds me of that post I read sometime ago in which someone recommended defending yourself by feinting for the crotch and instead jabbing for the neck. I love the things you learn in this community. :D

coolbeans

Personally, I'd love to have some brass knuckles, but I think those are illegal in NJ.

Also, this thread reminds me of that post I read sometime ago in which someone recommended defending yourself by feinting for the crotch and instead jabbing for the neck. I love the things you learn in this community. :D

I prefer feinting to the eyes and kick to the crotch

Creature

Can you find another area that may be safer to run at? At least until things cool down in your neighborhood? Is there anyone else in your neighborhood that runs who you could buddy up with? I would recommend that. Several people have commented on a knife being used on you. In many cases your attacker will blindside you. If you see him coming you will be overcome with fear. It's difficult to think straight when the fear factor jumps into play. You'd fumble for your knife and by the time you had it ready to go he'd be upon you. I like carrying a gun but it's the same thing. You get overwhelmed with fear and it's difficult to act. Self defense classes will help you stay calm and keep your wits during an attack and the pistol range will get you use to your gun where you could use it with confidence during an attack. So, 1. find a new place to run, 2. find a running mate or 3. get training and a gun.
Option 1. isn't really possible without a far drive because I'm in the country. I noticed recently my neighbors across the road started running, so maybe I can run with them.

Ya'll have given me a lot of things to think about! Thanks so much.

Wyrminarrd

http://www.trueswords.com/stun-flashlight-impact-weapon-combo-rechargeable-p-5242.html

This seems like a qood choice, if nothing else you end up with a nice flashlight.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Carry the scary gif That NickGuy has in her sig.
Her?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

http://www.trueswords.com/stun-flashlight-impact-weapon-combo-rechargeable-p-5242.html

This seems like a qood choice, if nothing else you end up with a nice flashlight.
The problem with stunguns is that they have all the problems of a knife (have to be dangerously close to someone to use it) without the advantages (people know knives can kill them, but also think a stungun won't. Also, knives don't need batteries). If your intent on committing to a fight, a knife is simple better as a deterrent to make people think twice. If your lucky, once they see it, they'll back off.

Necronic

Necronic

Don't ever carry a knife with that intention. Ever. Even if you are trained in its use, there are way better ways to disable someone attacking you, and there is no chance of killing them. Do you want that on your concscience?

Now, to the matter at hand.

Mace. This is insanely debilitating and totally non-lethal. This will actually disable someone far more seriously than a knife would, up until the point you kill them.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Mace. This is insanely debilitating and totally non-lethal. This will actually disable someone far more seriously than a knife would, up until the point you kill them.
I disagree with you there, Necro. I've been sprayed with mace before, used it on others and seen it used on others. In my experience it works *most* of the time but I've also seen people sprayed with 3 to 4 cans of mace and keep fighting someone and then when they were done beating down said individual they stood up, walked away from them and got handcuffed. but most of the time, yes, mace does work just not insanely debilitating imo.

Wyrminarrd

The problem with stunguns is that they have all the problems of a knife (have to be dangerously close to someone to use it) without the advantages (people know knives can kill them, but also think a stungun won't. Also, knives don't need batteries). If your intent on committing to a fight, a knife is simple better as a deterrent to make people think twice. If your lucky, once they see it, they'll back off.[/QUOTE]

The advantage here is the fact that the guy your facing may not realize that he's facing a stun gun and will therefore be careless.

Add to this the fact that carrying a knife can get you into trouble since the cops might wonder why you had the knife on you in the first place and I think the stun gun makes more sense.

Element 117

You know what? You should all carry Shark Action Chaz with Union Battlecry Attack.

Null

Null

We could, but that would mean having to be near Chaz. I'll take my chances.

Element 117

Shark action. /argument

Null

Null

I don't know if I'd mind being mugged. At least it would give me something interesting to talk about. Things that I like, or find interesting, do not translate well to others.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Calleja

Calleja

I don't know if I'd mind being mugged. At least it would give me something interesting to talk about. Things that I like, or find interesting, do not translate well to others.

Well send me all your money then, we'll make it an anecdote.

Gusto

Gusto

Philosopher B.

I don't know if I'd mind being mugged. At least it would give me something interesting to talk about.
Especially if you were mugged by a monkey.

General Specific

General Specific

Element 117

Hmm, pretty sure

trumps
but who knows?

Calleja

Calleja

We all know, it'd be like bringing a paper towel to a ..... well, lightsaber fight.

General Specific

General Specific

I'd like to see a Klingon do this:

Element 117

I'd like to see a Klingon do this:

Just like the films, the first Clone Wars Series was better than the 3D CGI versions.

Calleja

Calleja

Well, yeah, the CGI series is entirely aimed at kids, while the first one actually has a broader demographic..... wait, I think we're still too close to the films in that, too.

Wasabi Poptart

I like my 1 5/16" combination wrench.

You get a little extra workout with it because of the weight. Not exactly inconspicuous though.

Null

Null

Bat'leh are shitty weapons, even by pre-industrial standards, much less science fictiony.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

I like my 1 5/16" combination wrench.

You get a little extra workout with it because of the weight. Not exactly inconspicuous though.
Believe it or not, this might be a viable alternative. Kubotans are GREAT, as well - my mother carried one for years before it got lost during one of our many moves. My sister, ever the improviser (ah, chaotic neutral) had several (legal by GA standards) folding-blade knives and a PIPE Wrench on her person at all times.

Depending on where you live, there might be very stringent laws about what you can and can't legally carry - here in GA, you can have assisted-open knives but not spring-action (unless you're law enforcement - hee hee).

As previously stated above though, don't carry a weapon unless you know how to use it. Otherwise, you get a false sense of confidence and no ability to back it up. When you learn the fundamentals of whatever you will end up using (may I suggest Kali? Filipino martial arts are big on aggressive offense and defending against knife attacks), practice, practice, PRACTICE! Muscle memory is a very, VERY real concept.