Export thread

Likelihood of snow in Chicago in February?

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

I'm going back up to Chicago around February 1st-3rd and the gf is worried about ice or snow on the road on the drive up there.

We just went up there less than a week ago and the weather was great. No rain, no snow, nothing bad on the roads.

I've had some people tell me snow and ice is awful in February, and I've had some tell me it's ultra rare.

So which is it? Is there a high likelihood of encountering ice/snow on the roads (which we, as deep southerners, are not used to driving in at all)?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Chicago usually gets hit pretty bad.

ElJuski

ElJuski

It's not the snow in Chicago that gets ya. It's the icy roads, below zero temperatures, high winds, freezing rain...

Some sort of snow or ice is pretty likely, but I don't know if it's enough to worry about.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

But then again, that's coming from a Chicagoan.

Chazwozel

You ain't seen snow till you lived in Picksburgh!

ElJuski

ElJuski

All I know is, last Christmas we had 22 separate severe weather advisories :( I don't want to go where it gets any worse :(

HowDroll

HowDroll

Snow and ice are usually pretty awful in February. Anyone who tells you different is a dumbass or has never been to Chicago. Then again, we had temperatures in the 50-60s in early December, so anything is possible with the weather. I'd definitely be prepared for it, though.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Yeah I really don't know who told you it's a "rarity".

Piotyr

Piotyr

The only rarity in Chicago is a gentle, fluffy snowfall. Generally, snow is accompanied by strong winds and a wonderful ice layer.