Export thread

Living in.... Alaska?

phil

phil

SOOOooooooo uh....

Anyone live in Alaska?

What's it like? I bet it's cold. I hear it has a high cost of living? I would have guessed the opposite. Also, you get money (tax breaks?) to live there, yes?

What uh... what else would one want to know if going to Alaska was a slight, not likely at all, probably not going to happen but holy shit it might happen possibility?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Get used to long periods of sunlight and long periods of darkness. Parts of Alaska are in that strange region where you'll get exposed to literally days of darkness. That is annoying... but the days of non-stop sunlight are worse, as it can make you sick due to your internal clock being utterly fucked up.

Also get used to a lack of women. Alaska is something like 80-90% male.

phil

phil

Get used to long periods of sunlight and long periods of darkness. Parts of Alaska are in that strange region where you'll get exposed to literally days of darkness. That is annoying... but the days of non-stop sunlight are worse, as it can make you sick due to your internal clock being utterly fucked up.
I saw 30 days of night. I've accepted that I'll be eaten by vampires during a 30 day blood orgy.

Two steps ahead of ya there, chief.

Math242

Math242

no women? ugh count me out

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

A police officer that trained with a former Alaskan State Trooper said that Alaska has the highest number of repeat rape victims.

Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern

*winks*

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I laughed at that.

Dave

Dave

Score one for GL!

And I do mean score. :unibrow:

Chazwozel

How's that homo changie stuff working out for ya?

fade

fade

Funny---I also had this question. The original, not Chaz's. I just applied for a job at Alaska Pacific University in Anchorage. It looks beautiful there.

Is the male female thing a joke? Because according to the census bureau, it's pretty much 50-50:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/02000.html

I would move there in a heartbeat. Convincing my wife.... that may be difficult.

Chazwozel

Funny---I also had this question. The original, not Chaz's. I just applied for a job at Alaska Pacific University in Anchorage. It looks beautiful there.

Is the male female thing a joke? Because according to the census bureau, it's pretty much 50-50:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/02000.html

I would move there in a heartbeat. Convincing my wife.... that may be difficult.

That's always the damn catch isn't it. If I had it my way, I'd be working for the University of Hawaii.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wonder if those stats take into account all the men that work in Alaska but are permanent residents of other states or nations.

Chibibar

My nephew in law is in the coast guard and living in Kodiak, Alaska.

"It is friggin cold" That is what he said.

LordRavage

Is he a reliable source? I want credentials! ;)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Is he a reliable source? I want credentials! ;)[/QUOTE]

Johnny Cash sang, When it's Springtime in Alaska it's 40 below...

NOW THAT'S RELIABLE.

fade

fade

You know what I hate? That scene in North to Alaska where John Wayne smashes the ring with the whiskey bottle to prove that it's fake. THAT WOULD HAPPEN WITH A REAL DIAMOND. Hard != strong. Diamonds are brittle. They smash fairly easily. You just can't scratch them.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But all those random brawls were awesome.

Chibibar

well, if you watch "Deadliest Catch" That is where Kodiak, Alaska is (I think I spell that right)

Shakey

Shakey

NOW THAT'S RELIABLE.[/QUOTE]

Johnny Horton's version was better.:humph:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Johnny Horton's version was better.:humph:[/QUOTE]

I heard Johnny Horton is going to perform some where nearby. I might have to get a ticket. When I heard the ad my first thought was, "He's still alive?"

EDIT, he's not. I guess it is a tribute show to Johnny Horton. He died near here.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Born in Soldotna, Alaska. Lived in the nearby town of Kenai until I was 9.

Yeah, depending on where you live in Alaska will determine how much sunlight you'll get. Since we lived further south, we saw more sunlight in the winter than most of the state. We also had more Evergreen forests down south than the barren tundra that you get up north.

Man, I miss the fishing there. Every summer, the King Salmon would start their spawning run up the Kenai River, which opens up at the Gulf of Alaska. So after the fishing boats in the gulf got their fill, our area was the first to get a crack at them as they entered the river. People all along the banks, pulling up 30-40 pounders. And then the people who knew how to fillet them would cut them up right there on the shore and start smoking strips of salmon in their portable smokers. The whole air would be filled with the smell of smoked salmon. Mmmmmmm, how I miss that!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

So Cheesy, how was the Male/Female ratio in your experience?

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Well, from what I remember from where I lived, I don't think the male/female ratio was that bad. Kenai was one of the bigger cities in the area, which isn't saying much because it was still smaller than most modest sized cities here in Cali.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

after the fishing boats in the gulf got their fill, our area was the first to get a crack at them as they entered the river. People all along the banks, pulling up 30-40 pounders. And then the people who knew how to fillet them would cut them up right there on the shore and start smoking strips of salmon in their portable smokers. The whole air would be filled with the smell of smoked salmon. Mmmmmmm, how I miss that!
God, now I have to move. Mmmm... salmon....

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

after the fishing boats in the gulf got their fill, our area was the first to get a crack at them as they entered the river. People all along the banks, pulling up 30-40 pounders. And then the people who knew how to fillet them would cut them up right there on the shore and start smoking strips of salmon in their portable smokers. The whole air would be filled with the smell of smoked salmon. Mmmmmmm, how I miss that!
God, now I have to move. Mmmm... salmon....[/QUOTE]

Just save your vacation time... and put in for time off EARLY.

phil

phil

*winks*[/QUOTE]

I'd only break your heart ;)

But yeah, I guess I was wondering mostly about the cost of living thing. MY folks said it was comparable to California, but I mean...if you get tax breaks just to stay I can't imagine there's a real high demand for housing and other goods and stuff up there. I honestly have no idea though.

Shakey

Shakey

Johnny Horton's version was better.:humph:[/QUOTE]

I heard Johnny Horton is going to perform some where nearby. I might have to get a ticket. When I heard the ad my first thought was, "He's still alive?"

EDIT, he's not. I guess it is a tribute show to Johnny Horton. He died near here.[/QUOTE]

Guy made the mistake of marrying Hanks wife. Poor lady must have been cursed.

Dusty668

Diamonds will burn too.