Man arrested for modding game system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyimi said:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/tech/Cal-State-Student-Faces-10-Year-Prison-Term-for-Playing-with-Video-Games-52386872.html

It sounds like he is being arrested for running a modding service. I just do not understand why this is illegal and deserving 10 years in prison. If someone buys a game console, then they own it. It's like buying a PC, you should be able to do whatever you want with it.
The question isn't that he modded a system, but that he modded his system to allow it to play pirated games. They aren't getting him so much for altering his system, but for (1) pirating games and (2) modding systems for sale so that others could play pirated games. With "more than a dozen" modded systems in his possession I doubt that he had them all for personal use.

I say 10 years seems a little harsh but I really don't see a problem with them arresting him. The guy was modding systems to allow people to play pirated games than he was selling them off to people. But hey at least hes not being sued for millions of dollars (at least yet)

He will be. I always laugh at these kinds of stories. Pirating is stealing. Whenever I do anything remotely resembling this action I know what I'm doing. Same as when I drive faster than the posted speed limit. If I get caught I pay the price. That's the deal.

This guy was breaking the law and is going to pay the price. And again the 10 year sentence is a maximum, not a guarantee.

The arrest follows his indictment by a federal grand jury on two counts of violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Specifically, the college student is accused of modifying for personal financial gain technology affecting control or access to a copyrighted work.
There's the actual crime. The DMCA rears its head again.

Though, I can't help but think that there must be a way around that. Modding consoles itself isn't a crime. It's the modding with intent to allow piracy, while making a profit from it, that was the crime. It doesn't really say much in the article, but my guess is that he got busted for promoting the piracy angle.

Ravenpoe said:
The arrest follows his indictment by a federal grand jury on two counts of violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Specifically, the college student is accused of modifying for personal financial gain technology affecting control or access to a copyrighted work.

Though, I can't help but think that there must be a way around that. Modding consoles itself isn't a crime. It's the modding with intent to allow piracy, while making a profit from it, that was the crime. It doesn't really say much in the article, but my guess is that he got busted for promoting the piracy angle.
He had too many consoles for this to be personal use. My guess is that he was selling them to people and got ratted out or sold to the wrong guy.

Edrondol said:
Ravenpoe said:

He had too many consoles for this to be personal use. My guess is that he was selling them to people and got ratted out or sold to the wrong guy.
I know that, though now I wonder if he was selling the modified consoles themselves, or selling the service to modify other people's consoles. If the former, that probably would raise more red flags. When I first read the story, I thought he was selling the service of modification, not the actual consoles themselves.

The article is very thin on facts. But to me the thing that speaks the loudest was the sheer number of consoles in his possession.

H

Hyimi

Edrondol said:
The article is very thin on facts. But to me the thing that speaks the loudest was the sheer number of consoles in his possession.
Yeah, that's part of my misunderstanding. But as for 12 consoles, I can understand having a good number of them. For his own use, he could have had a PS1, PS2, PS3, XBOX, XBOX 360, Gamecube, and a Wii. I myself still own every one of these consoles except the XBOX 360.

Hyimi said:
Edrondol said:
Yeah, that's part of my misunderstanding. But as for 12 consoles, I can understand having a good number of them. For his own use, he could have had a PS1, PS2, PS3, XBOX, XBOX 360, Gamecube, and a Wii. I myself still own every one of these consoles except the XBOX 360.
"More than a dozen". Could be 13, could be 20. I feel sorry for this guy because of the crap he's going through, but you have to expect this kind of thing for some people. Hell, I know of a few people who have modded their systems, but they don't mod others' systems and they don't sell anything. In fact, if someone they don't know well asks about it they send them to a web page and never admit to doing it. :toocool:

S

SeraRelm

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Now look into this little light. :toocool:

O

Olorin

I hope they also find a list of his clients so they can arrest a bunch of other pirates. :ninja:

E

elph

I just wonder why people haven't taken more of a tip from prohibition and not sell the systems but sell something else. Like a toothpick, or membership into some 'club'. Take a tip from the mobsters. Buy a toothpick, bring it to a buddy down the road, and he'll 'lend' you a modded out console.

elph said:
I just wonder why people haven't taken more of a tip from prohibition and not sell the systems but sell something else. Like a toothpick, or membership into some 'club'. Take a tip from the mobsters. Buy a toothpick, bring it to a buddy down the road, and he'll 'lend' you a modded out console.
That only works when you have the cops on the payroll.

There's a guy on our Craigslist area that mods Xbox360s, Wii's, and PSPs to play non-disced games etc.

I have PSP done by him, freakin love it. Charged me $20 instead of the usual $60. :twisted:

Edrondol said:
He will be. I always laugh at these kinds of stories. Pirating is stealing. Whenever I do anything remotely resembling this action I know what I'm doing. Same as when I drive faster than the posted speed limit. If I get caught I pay the price. That's the deal.

This guy was breaking the law and is going to pay the price. And again the 10 year sentence is a maximum, not a guarantee.
It's not theft, it's copyright infringement (or some other thing depending on the law that applies).

That only works when you have the cops on the payroll.
Nah, a good lawyer would do... but you can only do it once (and they might still get you on something else... remember Capone).

Status
Not open for further replies.