Export thread

May 18th 1980 - Mt St Helens - where were you or what do you remember?

Matt²

On tuesday, it's the 30th anniversary of the eruption of Mt St Helens. If you were alive, where were you, what do you remember of it?

I was 7, and I lived in Oregon (still do) at the time, and I remember it already being a cloudy day, getting up early, then my sisters telling me not to go outside because it wasn't SNOWING as I thought, it was ash and that it would hurt my lungs (now I know it turns to concrete in the lungs).

Cajungal

Cajungal

May 18th 1980 - Mt St Helens - where were you?

I remember not being alive yet.

Gusto

Gusto

I was -6 years old.

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, I was 3. Didn't exactly stick in my brain as a major event.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Wasn't even conceived yet.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think I saw it in a past life.

No, wait, that was a movie.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I was two years old, living in igloos and learning to hunt moose in the wilds of Alaska.

David

David

That was 9 years before I was born. My dad wasn't in high school yet.

Wasabi Poptart

I was 8 years old. Since it would have been around 11:30am on a Sunday, I was probably getting ready to eat lunch at my grandparents' house after church. I was in New Jersey, so it's not like the actual eruption had a direct effect on me. I do remember reading about it in National Geographic later on and being both frightened and amazed by the pictures of the devastation.

General Specific

General Specific

I was -2 months old.

Matt²

I was 8 years old. Since it would have been around 11:30am on a Sunday, I was probably getting ready to eat lunch at my grandparents' house after church. I was in New Jersey, so it's not like the actual eruption had a direct effect on me. I do remember reading about it in National Geographic later on and being both frightened and amazed by the pictures of the devastation.
Just watched a documentary on the anniversary and a lot of before and after photos, and how the forest has been made to live again thanks in help to human assistance. Those photos of the forest of trees, blown over by the pyroclastic blast of the mountain's eruption, have always astonished and amazed me. I am very glad I wasn't anywhere NEAR the mountain when it blew, and am sad for the people (57) that were caught in it. One thing I didn't realize (until I watched the documentary) was that Spirit Lake, the lake directly below the blast zone, was uplifted and emptied by the blast, about 300 feet. The Spirit Lake that exists now is above the top of where it was before. Also there are many more (I think they said hundreds?) lakes and ponds that have been created since and because of the eruption - Cold and Clear Lakes to name just a couple large ones.

All in all, very fascinating stuff if you're into the study of volcanoes.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

I experienced a fate worse than death: pre-life.

Philosopher B.

I was -8. My oldest sibling would've been 1 year old. :p

Dei

Dei

I was definitely a fetus at this point. My husband was 6 months old.

Tepshen

Tepshen

I was not alive but it looks pretty impressive on youtube.

Matt²

Matt²

Is that an ORANGE DeLorean?!?!

Attachments

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I was 4 years from being born. Otherwise, volcanoes never interested me much, more of a space guy.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

T-minus 3 years old.

Dusty668

17 years old, studying hard for my upcoming part in the High School play a treatment of My Fair Lady. I was very nervous about my upcoming part, as I was convinced I'd have horrid stage fright.

The day Mt. St Helens blew, I was admitted instead to the emergency room when I collapsed in school from walking pneumonia. I spent a week on oxygen, and it came back 3 times that year. I do remember being outside the hospital later that year and smelling faint whiffs of sulfur like 4th of july.

When ever I see the picture of those trees all lying in the same direction I remember a shot from a newsfilm of a moose picking it's way among them. I don't think things looked good for that particular moose. And the sound of air hissing.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

I was -3 years old.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I was 5. I don't really remember much about it.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I was 11. Nat Geo did a big article on the volcano. What stands out was a guy living near the mountain named Harry Truman refusing to evacuate.

He's dead now.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I was 11. Nat Geo did a big article on the volcano. What stands out was a guy living near the mountain named Harry Truman refusing to evacuate.

He's dead now.
That, I do remember from the TV movie

Bones

Bones

I was but a twinkle in my fathers eye

Hylian

Hylian

I was -6 years old.
↑ this

Math242

Math242

i was 9 months old

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was close to 11. I remember my Aunt that moved back to Texas from New Mexico felt that A/C was barely needed, she left her windows open that summer. She ended up with a fine grain ash-dust on her furniture. It left marks on the furniture where it did a sandpaper effect when she tried to wipe it off.

Chazwozel

I was T-minus -1 years old.

But on the bright side on the day of my birth there was a thunder storm over NYC...while it was snowing!!!!!!

I am the Anti-Christ.

Cajungal

Cajungal

It's all for you, Chaz! *jumps off the forum*

Chazwozel

It's all for you, Chaz! *jumps off the forum*

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I was 1 month + a few days old at this point - wouldn't have even known it was happening.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I was in 5th grade. It didn't really affect us, that I recall. I made a paper mache representation of the eruption for science class, using toothpicks to show all of the dead and blown down trees that we saw on the news.

Puntabul

Puntabul

I was 5 years old when Mt St Helens when up. I remember having a layer of ash all over the ground and the cars.