[Movies] MCU: Phase 5 - To Kang or Not to Kang

I enjoyed Season 2 of What If...? , but my only complaint is they may have played it too safe this season. Things got very dark sometimes in Season 1, and they took more risks. It was still fun over-all.

Yeah, like any anthology, this season was hit and miss. My two favourites were the 80s Avengers and Kahhori episodes. The latter of which was particularly brave to barely have any English spoken in it. Worst for me was the Christmas episode. The others were just okay.

The season finale was decent, but definitely not the barn-burner great finale like we got last season. I liked that it was two heroes against one villain for the most part. I think last season spoiled me because I expected a bigger team for the finale, but I liked how this worked. More of either character is never a bad thing.

More thoughts behind spoilers, like a big beef about the action.

Although I thought the action between Captain Carter & Kahhori vs Dr Strange got repetitive after awhile. Especially Captain Carter wielding the infinity stones. It really bugged me that that she had all that power and still mostly resorted to fisticuffs and the odd energy beam. You have power beyond imagination, why not actually use some of that imagination and do more with it? Thanos did stuff like throw planets, embed people in walls, turn people into rubber, or lasers into bubbles. No imagination. That goes double for the Dr Strange, honestly, who mostly just shot energy beams back. It was just a dull showcase of powers when they could have done so, so much more with it.

Oh, and all the characters dropping and levitating over the Forge got old fast. They used that gag far too many times.

The prison breakout was kind of fun, but they didn't really explore it as much as they could have. I kinda wish we could've seen more of, say, Evil Rocket Raccoon.

Still, it was fun enough.

figmentPez

Staff member
MCU kart racer when?

Eh, nevermind, it would just be a mobile cash grab that's got more microtransactions than Spider-Man has quips.

I do like each one of those... except for Pedro Pascal, who I feel is too old. It's hard to say that because he's a talented actor and I'm sure he would be great in almost any role, but there's a 13 year age gap between Pascal and Kirby. I know Hollywood loves to do that shit and there are more egregious examples, but still.

I do like each one of those... except for Pedro Pascal, who I feel is too old. It's hard to say that because he's a talented actor and I'm sure he would be great in almost any role, but there's a 13 year age gap between Pascal and Kirby. I know Hollywood loves to do that shit and there are more egregious examples, but still.
I dunno, Mr Fantastic marrying someone significantly younger than him seems like something he'd do

Mr Fantastic is (somehow) worse than Hank Pym. Like... he did build Guantanamo Bay but in another dimension where every moment is agony.

Yeah that's what I was going to say as well. The main 4 cast are good to know but Doom is what's going to sell it for me, if they plan on using him. I want Christoph Waltz but that feels ambitious.

I am down with Ebon Moss-Bachrach as Ben Grimm... Pascal seems like he'll need to slim down a little to be a good Reed.

Yeah that's what I was going to say as well. The main 4 cast are good to know but Doom is what's going to sell it for me, if they plan on using him. I want Christoph Waltz but that feels ambitious.
I like Waltz, but I personally would want someone with more of a physical presence. Doom is bombastic in both personality and appearance, and he's generally portrayed as big and broad shouldered, especially when he's in his armor. This is in contrast to Reed, who's often drawn as a slender guy.

If Idris Elba wasn't already playing Heimdall, he's the kind of guy I'd pick for Doom.

I like Waltz, but I personally would want someone with more of a physical presence. Doom is bombastic in both personality and appearance, and he's generally portrayed as big and broad shouldered, especially when he's in his armor. This is in contrast to Reed, who's often drawn as a slender guy.

If Idris Elba wasn't already playing Heimdall, he's the kind of guy I'd pick for Doom.
Elba would've been an amazing Doom.

How about Aldis Hodge, instead?

A 13 year age gap between Reed and Sue doesn't seem to be egregious. I always felt there was that bit of a gap between them in the comics.

Women in Hollywood get cast as much older woman all the time too, whether or not it really makes sense.

A 13 year age gap between Reed and Sue doesn't seem to be egregious. I always felt there was that bit of a gap between them in the comics.
True. They give off the same vibe as a professor and the grad assistant with whom he is in a totally inappropriate relationship.