Mozart = punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8467347.stm

Detentions where pupils are forced to listen to classical music are an effective deterrent against unruly behaviour, a head teacher has found.
Brian Walker, head at West Park School in Derby, runs the two-hour detentions, featuring Elgar, Mozart, Verdi and Bach, on a Friday after school.
Pupils on their third official warning that week can expect to attend.
As well as listening to classical music for an hour, pupils also have to watch an educational television show.
For example, they have watched the Story of Maths, programmes from the National Geographic Channel, Chinese School and the World's Strictest Parents.
The detention has an average weekly attendance of 20 out of a total of 1,320 pupils.
Punishment structure
The detentions are meted out as part of a specific formula for behaviour at the school.
The first warning - known as a C1 or Consequence 1 - sees a disruptive pupil receive a special warning from a teacher.
If they misbehave again, pupils are given a C2, which constitutes writing out the poem, Jerusalem - Mr Walker's favourite.
A C3 sees pupils told off by the head and an automatic two-hour Friday detention.
Mr Walker says his main aim is to stop disruptive pupils spoiling lessons for the well-behaved majority.
\"These are the disrupters of learning, not the smokers, the truants or the people who are late - they are dealt with through other procedures.
\"It's those who have slowed the learning process in class for everyone and I won't have that, because it is robbing the rest of opportunities.\"
Mr Walker says the detention serves as a positive reminder that an education is something to value.
\"It helps them see they are part of something bigger that will enhance their life chances if they become a net contributor, rather than detracting from it.
\"When it's finished, there's no anger or resentment, because it's not a punishment, but pointing out the consequences of their behaviour.
\"Hopefully, I open their ears to an experience they don't normally have and it seems many of them don't want to have it again, so it's both educational and acts as a deterrent.\"

Wow... i look forward to the day when people will be avoiding the opera out of fear rather then disinterest.

Z

Zumbo Prime

Oh dear God, this is awesome. I wish my schools would have done this.

Hip-hop or rap for an hour would cause me to go on a kill-spree.
For me as well, though if you wanted to take this whole idea to the next level, I'd think for roughly 99% of people out there polka might be considered cruel & unusual punishment and/or torture, and thus would be reserved for the multi-repeat offenders.

When ever my classes were working on their own, I'd play a little classical music to have some background noise. It also seemed to cut down on distracting chatter.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Hm.

Classical music as a form of punishment.

Excuse me for a moment, I need to go and send a "Fuck You" note with instructions to West Park School.

Eh... i think the article implies that the punishment is educational, which makes it so effective...

EDIT: i was replying to Soliloquy, but it works for South Druid man too i guess.

The detention is punishment, the music is an attempt to teach the kids something while in detention. I used to run D-Hall for Two Years, it was a nice overtime check. Those were the most boring single hours I ever spent. Unless I was kicking some chuckle-head out for misbehaving.

Cajungal

Staff member
Eh... i think the article implies that the punishment is educational, which makes it so effective...
That's pretty much one of the problems we learn to deal with as teachers. My first education class:

Prof: Try not to give extra assignments when they're bad.

Student: Then how are we supposed to punish them?!

Status
Not open for further replies.