my computers cablecard is now GARBAGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so comcast switched to digital everything, thus my current card which i bought at Christmas is now useless to me...>_>

anyonw know of a cablecard that works with digital cable?

figmentPez

Staff member
so comcast switched to digital everything, thus my current card which i bought at Christmas is now useless to me...>_>

anyonw know of a cablecard that works with digital cable?
I think you're confusing a tuner card with a CableCARD. The former is a broad category with varied capabilities, while the latter is a specific device used by more than just computers.

Does your current tuner handle clear-QAM signals? Digital cable channels can be either encrypted or unencrypted. Depending on your local company, a varying number of channels will be available via clear (unencrypted) QAM. This would be the cheapest and easiest option, and one of the few options for Linux, but it won't get you all of the channels.

There are very limited options for tuning encrypted digital cable signals, but there are more than there were a few months ago. First you'll need to be running Windows 7, not Vista, XP, Linux, OSX or any other operating system. Next you'll need a tuner card that uses a CableCARD to decrypt the channels. Previously these were only available bundled with a new system, but recently they've been opened up to allow purchase separately. I'm not sure how many have made it onto the market yet. I can't easily find any on Newegg, Hauppauge doesn't list any on their site, SiliconDust and Ceton have products announced but not shipping yet. The price looks pretty hefty for these as well. Ceton's 4-tuner card is going to be $400, and SiliconDust's 2-tuner is expected to be $250+. It probably won't be until late this year that more reasonable options come out.

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

Ah, just remembered, it's also possible to get a tuner card/box that can handle component video, and use that to capture from the component output of a cable box, but I don't think it would be easy to get it to change channels automatically. (and you could do this with s-video as well, but HD wouldn't be an option).

it looks like comcast encrypts all channels, so i am SOL, might as well just get a box and use the current card -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.