Export thread

My wife and I got iPhones

Chibibar

Yea. We decided to upgrade our old phones (they are over 5 years old) to a new phones. We went from basic phone to iPhones. My wife and I love it! now I just need to put some apps on it.

Any good suggestions? games?

What is this jailbreak? Does that work in conjunction to iTunes? I heard that as long I keep my hardware 3.0 I should be ok.

How is tethering? AT&T rep doesn't really talk about it, I look it up and some say there might be a charge? can anyone give me some tips? past experience?

Covar

Covar

If you use Twitter Tweetie2 is the one of the best apps available for it.

Evernote - utterly fantastic note taking service
Todo - a todo app that is pretty good. I use the lite version which limits your number of items. The full version is $10. Anyone knows a better todo app let me know please
Pandora - Amazing customized internet radio
Now Playing - THE movie app. Rotten Tomato ratings, downloadable trailers, location awareness, and netflix queue management.
Stanza - an e-reader app with access to Project Gutenberg
ESPN ScoreCenter - check sports scores
TouchCalc - blows the default calculator out of the water
Epicurous - Recipe finder
Yelp - looking for a restaurant or bar nearby? recently added augmented reality
SnapTell - take a picture of a book, game, movie, or cd and get information on it
Textfree - send free text messages, lite version limits you to 15 texts a day.
Shazam - Id songs
TouchTerm - SSH Client $0.99
VNC - VNC viewer for your iPhone

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Some apps that work with web services or sites that you might use, better than using safari on your iPhone

eBay
Amazon
WootWatch
Wikipedia
Flickr
Facebook
Yahoo Fantasy Football 09
USAA
Mint - great money managing service, the app is limited, but good for checking your accounts quickly

If you are a baseball fan I recommend MLB At Bat, but wait until next years version, being as the season is nearly over.

If you have DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket there is an iPhone app for it that allows you to watch the games on your phone.

---------- Post added at 10:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Oh I almost forgot. If you have a WordPress Blog there is a WordPress app, real simple to use.

strawman

strawman

http://www.freeappalert.com

That site shows the apps that went free today. If you keep up with it for a few weeks you'll fill your phone with games, utilities, etc. Since there's so much duplication it isn't long before you find an app that you need but don't want to pay for. A lot of these apps are only free for a day so they get a boost in "popular app" lists, and get more reviews.

Due to that, I've only paid for a few apps.

Things I either bought, or would buy if I hadn't gotten them for free:

Air Mouse - control your computer with the iPhone - makes an excellent remote, and works with multiple computers over wifi (and bluetooth, I think)

Ragdoll Blast - awesome fun physics puzzle game

SPL Meter - find out how loud your environment is - useful if you work or walk in really noisy areas, see if hearing damage may occur

SkyVoyager - (or the cheaper less featurefull version) excellent astronomy app. Uses GPS, compass, and accelerometer so you can "aim" it at the sky and it'll show you the star map of what you should be seeing, and identify stars, features, etc of the sky. Just awesome - was free for a day awhile back, but I'd probably pay for it now with all that it does.

Doodle Dots, doodleguess, doodlesearch, doodleships - nice free apps for dots, hangman, word search, and battleship. 2 player or one player for dots and battleship.

Tuner - if you play an instrument, this tuner works pretty well.

Things I got for free, but probably wouldn't pay for if they are no longer free:

App Miner - helps find apps

Pandorabox - find apps

Tweetdeck - decent twitter client

VehiCal - keep track of your gas mileage, car maintenance and repair, etc.

Sport Lite - MotionX GPS app for hiking, waypoints, tracking/backtracking, etc

BetterLists - decent "grocery list" - lets you set up your own lists and fields in the lists so you can make them as complex or simple as needed.

SparkPeople - Diet/health management

Just Light - flashlight

iMapMyRide - cycling/jogging/walking path mapping app - integrated with website. Lots of stats. This is the free version, and it works fine.

Flickr - Useful if you have a flickr account

Flood-it! - simple puzzle

Boxed In - Decent push-the-boxes-around puzzle game

Piratizer - automatic face recognition, adds pirate accessories to picture for the lulz

Skype - free VOIP (when near wifi)

SpaceGeek - Nasa TV streaming - handy when they're doing a launch, landing, or crash stuff into the moon.

IRCHon - Halfway decent (free?) IRC chat if you need one. Works well with halforums IRC.

KatamariLite - Interesting implementation of katamari, free. Full version available for $

SoundMatrix - sequencer - create your own loopy sounds

iRelax - Relaxing sounds. Ocean, river, rain, thunder, chimes, birds, etc - mix and match. I like river, ocean, rain, thunder together, and so, apparently, does my 7 month old baby. They have a premium version that has more, but the free one is more than sufficient for me.

Tap Sudoku - Yet Another Sudoku clone. Decent interface. I also have Tile Sudoku, and haven't played them enough to decide which to keep.

PtPeintuLite - really nice drawing program.

Mixed - word scrambles, good practice for scrabble

Movosity - accelerometer mapping/drawing in 3D - unique app. Want to try on roller coasters but haven't yet.

TED - videos from TED conferences

ToneBoard - Another sequencer, very simple and nice, no advanced features.

-Adam

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Jailbreak is a phone hack that will let you get at the under-the-hood features that Apple and AT&T (the latter more likely) don't want you to access. Gives you more control over your phone, but you can't upgrade it afterwards without risking getting it wiped, or worse, bricked.

Unless you need specific features jailbreak makes available, there's no reason to do it. I don't think AT&T supports tethering yet, but you can do it without jailbreaking your phone if you still use the 3.0 OS.

-------
Regular Apps:

iXpenseit - on the go purchase/budget tracker, can export to your home comp. Lite version is okay, paid ($4 I think) is great
WSJ news apps - still free, AFAIK
Skype - for times when you maybe be out of area but not out of wireless
Just Light - free flashlight app
SnapTell
PhoneFlicks - control your netflix account from your phone, great if you like Watch Instantly
Bump - Trade business/personal contact info with another iPhone by fist-bumping
Amazon Kindle - read kindle books on your iPhone
Standard Works - ebook reader, use mine for the complete Sherlock Holmes, free
Yelp
-------
Games:

Galcon - Tap conquest game
TowerBloxx - Build a tower with blocks falling from the sky, nice polished app
Drop7 - tetris-like variant using numbers instead of block configurations
Fieldrunners - the best tower defense game on the iPhone
Armory - WoW Armory check App, made by Blizzard
Blizzard Authenticator - anti-fraud system for WoW, made by Blizzard, requires a Battle.net account
Whiteboard - not really a game, but you can doodle with other iPhones on the same Wi-Fi (you and your wife might like this one) for free
Tap Tap Revenge - It's like DDR, only with tapping, some free songs, some paid songs

Chibibar

awesome thanks

Chibibar

has anyone did any tethering with a laptop? I saw some method of doing it (without jailbreak) I just want to know if AT&T did any extra charges. AT&T rep is not saying anything about it and internet is giving mix report (some say not really some say it might)

strawman

strawman

One of the earlier non-jailbreak methods involved editing the AT&T profile. This was before the latest Apple supplied AT&T profile update, though, so you might want to check carefully to see if you can still do it without a jailbreak.

I haven't tethered yet, and one of the reasons I finally switched to this phone was because tethering was supposed to be enabled 'soon.' We'll see, though.

-Adam

Alucard

You got an iphone? I am so jealous. The itouch is nice but I'm just wondering when we'll get a camera on ours. I still dont understand why the new ipod nano has it instead of the itouch ahh well

Chibibar

One of the earlier non-jailbreak methods involved editing the AT&T profile. This was before the latest Apple supplied AT&T profile update, though, so you might want to check carefully to see if you can still do it without a jailbreak.

I haven't tethered yet, and one of the reasons I finally switched to this phone was because tethering was supposed to be enabled 'soon.' We'll see, though.

-Adam
Yea. We can use tethering with AT&T without jailbreak. I can't get a straight answer from AT&T rep regarding charges (if any) they keep saying they don't support. btw it works only with iphone OS 3.0 or lower (newest is 3.1 which breaks it)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yeah. Install that modified profile on the newer iPhone OS and you give up the ability to get your voicemail. Whee.

--Patrick

Wasabi Poptart

You got an iphone? I am so jealous. The itouch is nice but I'm just wondering when we'll get a camera on ours. I still dont understand why the new ipod nano has it instead of the itouch ahh well
The theory around my house is that the Nano would appeal to people who might not be able to afford both a camera and a media player. It may also be the testing ground for a camera, to see if it will sell more product, before they move it to a high end item.

Covar

Covar

The theory around my house is that the Nano would appeal to people who might not be able to afford both a camera and a media player. It may also be the testing ground for a camera, to see if it will sell more product, before they move it to a high end item.[/QUOTE]

I heard there was a last minute manufacturing error. that would have prevented them from getting out in time for the press event.