Need to get a better media player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necronic

Staff member
My media situation is a total mess, and I need a solid media player that will allow me to play most/all audio and video files, and has a decent way to visualize a library.

iTunes is probably the #1 problem I am dealing with since it seems to require me to have a specific itunes folder for it to operate from, which I DO NOT LIKE. But I have no choice but to use itunes somewhat as I have an iPhone.

Anyways, suggest a good media player that can handle all of my media files and do so with limited resource usage and WILL UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES try to organize my files for me.

figmentPez

Staff member
Well VLC will play just about anything, and it has no media organization features at all. However, it's hardware acceleration of video playback is a feature that's still in testing, so I'm not sure about resource usage. It runs well enough on my system, and certainly does better than Quicktime on my netbook, but I'm not sure how it stacks up against other stuff.

In the preferences you can tell iTunes to not copy files added to your library. This will leave them where they are. Of course if you move a file it will be unable to play in iTunes and you'll have to remove add it.

Status
Not open for further replies.