Export thread

New Computer issues

Terrik

Terrik

I recently got a new Alienware M15x. I've got the i7620M, a Radeon Mobility 5850 HD 1GB (running GDDR5 ram), 8 GB of Dual Channel DDR 3 1066mhz.

By all accounts I should run stuff pretty damn quick.

I recently got DOW II and ran it on ultra settings. For a while it was fine. I'd get a high of 60FPS, average about 32. Then one day I was getting an average of 12FPS and I have no friggin clue what changed or what happened.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and I reinstalled it to see if a windows update killed me or something but I dont think so.

Im also running the new Catalyst 10.6 drivers.

Any tips? This is driving me crazy.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

Also, as a side note,

I just ran the windows 7 peformance test where it gives you a rating between 0-7.9. When I first ran it when I got the comp. I had a raiting of 6 something. Now its 4.0 It seems my Processor Calculations per second and Memory operations per second fell.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Wow... how the... my computer isn't even close to yours stat wise and my windows 7 performance test is 5.9.

Maybe your CPU is overheating and the computer is clocking it down to protect it? Man, sorry to hear you're having problems with a rig like this.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Wow... how the... my computer isn't even close to yours stat wise and my windows 7 performance test is 5.9.

Maybe your CPU is overheating and the computer is clocking it down to protect it? Man, sorry to hear you're having problems with a rig like this.
That was my thought as well

Math242

Math242

check the heat then the RAM then the Radeon.

My rig is kinda similar (2 5870) and i have problems with the heat.... If i don't use a fan to cool it down, it will start to slow down

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes. Sounds like heat-related issues. Could be bad air circulation, could also be that the HSF isn't making good contact with the CPU.

--Patrick

Matt²

Yes. Sounds like heat-related issues. Could be bad air circulation, could also be that the HSF isn't making good contact with the CPU.

--Patrick
also make sure your memory speed clock didn't get reset somehow? Go into your bios and check those settings and date/time. I have had a bios slip to it's basic settings due to a faulty battery.