New Year, New goals, New Support Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
The Insanity Workout thread has inspired me to get off my ass and start working out for real again. I'd hit a major plateau and was just maintaining for a good year. So I'm back in the saddle, baby, and I'm enjoying it very much. I haven't really pushed myself physically in a long time... just kind of drifted through my moderate daily exercises. Over the Christmas break, I worked out with Jake, but then I came back here and it tapered off.

My goals:

*Walk 2 miles a day, 5-6 times a week, at a challenging pace; then work my way up to a jog (I've managed a little jogging so far, but I'm just not in shape enough yet. But I'm pushing myself.) I want to do this FOREVER as long as I have both my legs and my health.

*To have a calorie deficit at the end of the day. I'm keeping a journal again and figured out an average of what I burn daily with regular exercise. I wanna stay below it every day, NOT just on weekdays... Saturdays and Sundays too. I haven't kept track in months.

*To relax about weight loss and focus on the "feeling good" aspect of this. The more I stress about fitting into smaller clothes, the less fun this is for me. So far so good.

Now I want to hear your goals! Tell me what you want to accomplish that I might cheer you on!

*To have a calorie deficit at the end of the day. I'm keeping a journal again and figured out an average of what I burn daily with regular exercise. I wanna stay below it every day, NOT just on weekdays... Saturdays and Sundays too. I haven't kept track in months.
So, does this mean one who's exercising is supposed to be burning more calories in a day than they're gaining with food?

Cajungal

Staff member
Or anyone who wants to lose weight. You don't have to exercise to have a calorie deficit at the end of the day, though.

I guess I don't know anything with this. I thought if you burned a couple hundred calories a day through exercise that that was good.

Cajungal

Staff member
That is good! And if you're exercising and eating a normal amount of food, then you probably are ending the day with fewer calories than you burned. It's a very common trap, however, to eat a lot more when you exercise and end the day with more calories eaten than burned. I'm recording what I eat to make sure that doesn't happen. Or, if you prefer, I'm overthinking it. :p

Good luck CG! You can dooo eeeettt!

I am trying to make myself swim every morning. I live near campus and part of my tuition pays for access to an outstanding exercise facility and I barely use it. Just 20 minutes of swimming a day is all I want to do.

How are you tracking your caloric intake? I ask because I have used Cron-o-meter in the past. It's a pain in the ass to set up, but once you do it's a pretty good way to keep track of daily intake.

Cajungal

Staff member
Just a food journal. I also cross-referenced a bunch of sources to find out how much a person my weight burns in a day at rest, and then I figure in my calories burned during exercise. Then I'll usually lower that number a bit, because I don't want to overestimate what I need. If I'm ever in doubt of what I've burned, I just try to stay around 1900 calories.

I'm reading through the site now... I'll take a better look at it when I'm more awake. It's bedtime. But thank you for letting me know about it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.