Export thread

NEWS: UP not just a movie anymore

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

6-year-old boy climbs into family's experimental balloon and detaches the hold-down lines.

Cable and local CO news is tracking the balloon as it's still floating across Colorado.

Can only hope it comes down gently and the boy is relatively unscathed.

Wahad

Wahad

BREAKING NEWS: UP not just a movie anymore

I thought this was gonna be a thread about Up: The graphic novel of the film.

I was disappointed.

Either way, if it can go up to 10000ft, the kid'll probably get real cold.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'll get it down!

*heads to the basement to get her supplies and Australian hat*

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Oh s*it, I hope Shego doesn't have her airship ready yet...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll get it down!

*heads to the basement to get her supplies and Australian hat*
Guy on KUSA was talking just this. Strategically placed shots to create a controlled leak. Suuuure.

Dave

Dave

The kid is gonna be really cold, scared and have trouble breathing.

I hope he's okay.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

He's at about 8,000 to 8,500 feet.

Morgoth

I heard of these magical contraptions called helicopters, hooks, and rope...

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Geez, poor kid is probably scared to death. I probably would have done the same thing.

ThatNickGuy

This looks like a job for...

...oh, wait. We're not in the DC Universe. Supes would get that kid down in no time.

Seriously, I hope he'll be okay. On the bright side, this is the kind of thing that'll easily be made into some kind of movie or something. If the kid's okay, I mean.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

He's down!

Dave

Dave

News outlets still have him as up in the air. I'm riveted to this.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I am so sick right now. This is severely not cool.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

now he's down

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 PM ----------

Damn. Where is he?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

No one on it?

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

They're saying there's no one in it.

Mr_Chaz

No kid?...

This is either a very bad sign, or a sign of some very fucked up parents wanting media attention.

I really hope it's the second.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

CNN guy was positing that there wasn't anyone on it while it was still up.

Dave

Dave

A sibling says they saw him fall out. But they are not saying where.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Damn. I hope he's okay.

ThatNickGuy

This is insane. I hope the kid is okay. But I swear, if this whole thing was just a stunt to publically test out this thing...

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Third scenario: the kid turned it loose and hid for the lulz.

(oh gee I hope so.)

Dave

Dave

I hope so, too.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Uhh, not likely. More likely, he fell out before everyone got wind (pun) of the balloon and where it was headed.

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I'm trying to measure where I fit on the absurdly hillarious /tragic scale. IF YOU'RE GOING TO BUILD A HELIUM BALLOON MAKE SURE YOUR CURIOUS SIX YEAR OLD CAN'T UNTETHER IT AND FLY OFF

ThatNickGuy

Huh...

The parents called Sky9 News first, not the authorities.

Second theory just got a little more solid.

Dave

Dave

The family was also on the show "Wife Swap".

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The family was also on the show \"Wife Swap\".
Yep.

ThatNickGuy

Why is this aquarium smell suddenly entering my nostrils?

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

And awfully convienent the balloon landed perfectly safe and sound.

Now, I want to reiterate that, at this point, I really, REALLY hope that the kid is okay, if this is indeed the case.

There's just an awful lot of evidence pointing to this being a media stunt.

I mean, come on, they just got their invention on INTERNATIONAL news. It flew for over two hours and landed perfectly safe and softly.

Gusto

Gusto

Lolwut.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

What a weird family, but I still hope the kid is okay.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I keep reading this thread title as "breaking-up news", but this could turn into a whole 'nother sort of baww.

Singularity.EXE

Colorado. Superior.

Hylian

Hylian

I am hoping this is all just a hoax cause the alternative is a lot sadder.

kaykordeath

This.

Unless the kid has a FANTASTIC hiding space in the back of his closet and is just freaking himself out, I can't think of any remaining happy answers at this point...

Gusto

Gusto

Tom Brazelton and Scott Kurtz are having a Twitter fight about it. :unibrow:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

With all due respect to Tom, UP was the first thing that came to mind when I first heard the story. I also had to get people to read the thread. I'm not apologizing for how I phrased it, because it got people involved in the discussion, not just making 4chan-ish jokes.

phil

phil

I'd have never read a thread about "boy trapped in a hot air balloon" because if it isn't about movies and stuff, I just don't care.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

If it isn't a stunt, I really hope the kid's okay.

If it's a stunt, the entire family including the 6-year-old should be sterilized.

Dusty668

Scott needs to finish up his story arc for City of Heroes. Since, you know, he won't get paid for it.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Kurtz really goes to "defensive & bitchy" faster and with more unabashed zeal than a virgin with a naked woman in his bed drops trou.

Denbrought

Denbrought

CNN's twitter sez

Confirmed by the Larimer County Sheriff’s Department – the balloon boy has been found alive. Live press conf on CNN TV NOW.
Sheriff reports that the 6-year-old boy who released the balloon in Colorado has been found alive at home. http://bit.ly/cnndcl1
Colorado Sheriff says boy was found in box in garage attic.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

So, not exactly a hoax, but I think sterilization is in order anyway.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

:confused:OOO-K...

Gusto

Gusto

Kurtz really goes to "defensive & bitchy" faster and with more unabashed zeal than a virgin with a naked woman in his bed drops trou.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. It was entertaining to watch unfold.

phil

phil

That's good. This had me worried for a bit. I wonder what the whole story is though, why one kid said he saw the other on the thing. was he covering for his borhter? Or was the youngest playing on it, and that's what let it get free and the other one just assumed his brother was still on it.

Hylian

Hylian

If the parents didn't have any part for this hoax I would beat the $%# out of that kid. If the parents did know I think they should have teh %#$@ kicked out of them.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Love how CNN had "the boy got into the craft" until it turned out he was in the attic, and then it was "a sibling said the boy got into the craft." :rolleyes:

phil

phil

If the parents didn't have any part for this hoax I would beat the $%# out of that kid. If the parents did know I think they should have teh %#$@ kicked out of them.

I don't really blame the kid for much. It's not like at 6 you're known for making good decisions.

I'm willing to bet he just accidentally let it loose and then hid because he was afraid of getting into trouble.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Well, maybe he was oblivious to everything, playing pacefully... the other kid made the baloon go away and tried not to get in trouble... by saying it was his little brother's fault.

Hilarity ensues.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

4chans first attempt at the upcoming meme:

Hylian

Hylian

Well, maybe he was oblivious to everything, playing pacefully... the other kid made the baloon go away and tried not to get in trouble... by saying it was his little brother's fault.

Hilarity ensues.[/QUOTE]

If that was the case than I would kill the other kid. whatever kid/kids/family was involved deserves to have there #%^# kicked

ElJuski

ElJuski

That kid needs to get FALCON PAUNCHED

Gill Kaiser

My god, this is so lame. I missed this whole furore (obviously - I'm not American), and so I clicked on the link expecting an interesting story of death-defying stunts or a Tale of Interest, and instead I get taken straight to a news article saying that the kid was found alive at home. What an anticlimax.

LordRavage

My god, this is so lame. I missed this whole furore (obviously - I'm not American), and so I clicked on the link expecting an interesting story of death-defying stunts or a Tale of Interest, and instead I get taken straight to a news article saying that the kid was found alive at home. What an anticlimax.
I know. I was hoping for more blood and splattered kid parts.

These stories make me so mad when no one is hurt. :D

kaykordeath

And it's looking like this very well could have been parental planned scammy all along?
http://www.fark.com/cgi/vidplayer.pl?IDLink=4703592

strawman

strawman

Best commentary evar:

-Adam

Kitty Sinatra

How did Halforums not do that first?

For shame, Halforums. For shame.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Third scenario: the kid turned it loose and hid for the lulz.

(oh gee I hope so.)
We have a winner.

and a boy that is going to get hugged for an hour and spanked for two.

ThatNickGuy

That's. Just. Genius. I almost want to friend this person for starting it up.

Also, the kid was safe and sound the whole time. Once again, I really think this whole thing was a hoax to show off this invention by pulling a War of the Worlds-like trick on the media. Well, not quite War of the Worlds, but you get the idea.

I mean, they just got their invention highlighted with photos and videos galore WORLD WIDE, with the kid hiding the whole time (shock of shocks).

strawman

strawman

What gets me, though, is that is not enough helium to lift even a 30 pound child. He looks a bit heavier than that as well.

You'd think that in the big brouhaha someone intelligent would have been consulted, calculated the lifting capacity, and noted that either he wouldn't have gotten off the ground, or if he had (and maybe was emaciated) he certainly wouldn't have gotten up to 7,000 feet.

The father knows the exact lifting weight of the balloon.

There is simply no way he could have thought his son was actually on board.

-Adam

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

The balloon was apparently 20 feet in diameter, 5 feet high, which is 1570 cubic feet of helium, or 44 cubic meters.

Each cubic meter lifts about 0.2 pounds, so that balloon, like most weather and instrumentation balloons, can lift about 8.8 pounds. The balloon itself is a pound or more, so the family cat couldn't have hitched a ride.

There is simply no way the father could have ever believed that his child was on board.

-Adam

phil

phil

What gets me, though, is that is not enough helium to lift even a 30 pound child. He looks a bit heavier than that as well.

You'd think that in the big brouhaha someone intelligent would have been consulted, calculated the lifting capacity, and noted that either he wouldn't have gotten off the ground, or if he had (and maybe was emaciated) he certainly wouldn't have gotten up to 7,000 feet.

The father knows the exact lifting weight of the balloon.

There is simply no way he could have thought his son was actually on board.

-Adam

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

The balloon was apparently 20 feet in diameter, 5 feet high, which is 1570 cubic feet of helium, or 44 cubic meters.

Each cubic meter lifts about 0.2 pounds, so that balloon, like most weather and instrumentation balloons, can lift about 8.8 pounds. The balloon itself is a pound or more, so the family cat couldn't have hitched a ride.

There is simply no way the father could have ever believed that his child was on board.

-Adam

He said he did the rough calculations and found out the kid could be on.

I really don't know what to think. Bits of it sound plausible and possible, but then I read this on CNN.com

"You guys said we did this for the show," the boy said. When his father was pressed about what his son meant, he became uncomfortable, finally saying he was "appalled" by the question. He added Falcon was likely referring to all the media coverage. Authorities say they believe the case was genuine.

and that makes me question it all.

ThatNickGuy

O_O

*sigh* God bless the honesty of a child.

I honestly believe they've just fooled everyone with this stunt, showed off their invention to the world and will probably have some kind of a patent or...something (however that works) by next year.

phil

phil

O_O

*sigh* God bless the honesty of a child.

I honestly believe they've just fooled everyone with this stunt, showed off their invention to the world and will probably have some kind of a patent or...something (however that works) by next year.

I doubt it was for the craft itself. I mean, according to them it was only supposed to go 20 feet above the ground...but we know it went several thousand.

cnn said:
The balloon -- a family experiment for the couple's anniversary -- was not supposed to go higher than 20 feet above the ground, Mayumi Heene said. The eventual goal, her husband said, was for the balloon to hover over the ground and help ease commutes.
Whatever it was supposed to do, it does not.

Dusty668

How in the seven hells of Isosceles can a hovering balloon help ease traffic?

-Adam

You forgot to divide by another chance at being faaaaaaaamous.

phil

phil

Buddy of mine posted this on facebook.

strawman

strawman

-Adam

He said he did the rough calculations and found out the kid could be on. [/QUOTE]

Rough calculations? It was already inflated many times prior to yesterday. I'm sure the held it down himself and measured the lift to verify it was close to his rough calculations.

It was a staged stunt, and they had their 230 minutes (up from 15 minutes in the 30's due to inflation of media coverage) of fame.

Talk about a lot of publicity for no cost. I bet the boy got spanked alright - not for the 'stunt' but for letting it slip that it was a stunt on live TV.

-Adam

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Why does everything in this thread eventually lead to spankings?

Biardo

you deserve a spanking!

Morgoth

Love how CNN had "the boy got into the craft" until it turned out he was in the attic, and then it was "a sibling said the boy got into the craft." :rolleyes:

LOL! CNN is the third sibling in the story! "TOMMY SAID HE WENT INTO THE BALLOON, MOMMY!"

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

This.

Unless the kid has a FANTASTIC hiding space in the back of his closet and is just freaking himself out, I can't think of any remaining happy answers at this point...[/QUOTE]

Boy, egg on your face, huh?

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

you deserve a spanking![/QUOTE]

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

A "big announcement" from Dad is imminent. Makes it look more and more like it was a stunt all along.

If it was a stunt, I'm sure the family whose wheat field was destroyed by rescue vehicles will be sending lawyers to make sure they get a cut.

strawman

strawman

Big announcement was at noon eastern time, and consisted of him coming out, and saying, "Put your questions in this box and we'll look at them and answer some."

Then going back in.

The 20-30 press people there hackled him mercilessly once they figured out it was nothing but a huge manipulation to get everyone there to film him saying that he'll answer select questions.

The guy is just jerking us around now, if he wasn't before.

I can think of several questions I'd put in there that he would skip over, because they would show him for what he is.

-Adam

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/17/balloon-boy-falcon-heene-richard-dad-press-conference/

There's a video in there of his "big announcement."

-Adam

Kitty Sinatra

Why the smurf don't the "press" just tell him to smurf off and pronounce the whole thing old news.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Honestly, why did they continue to get coverage after he was found?

Should have been a wrap-up at his house and the end of this ridiculousness.

Alucard

because its news

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

And if this does turn out to be a setup (as is getting more and more likely), the news organizations will fall all over themselves to be the first to rake the family over the coals.

Baerdog

Baerdog

you deserve a spanking![/quote]

[/QUOTE]

:eyebrows:

strawman

strawman

Honestly, why did they continue to get coverage after he was found?
1) It's a spectacular story and the public would rather hear about it than nearly anything else
2) Slow news day (I mean, who cares that troop deployments were canceled, and Pakistan launched a major offensive against the taliban? MORE BALLOON BOY!)
3) The family is stoking the fire by teasing the media
4) There's some level of intrigue, which means it can't be closed unless the family admits it was a hoax

However, the media is throwing softballs at them. They've been burned once this morning, if they are burned again tonight during the 'answers to your questions' press conference, many probably won't be coming back around.

Expect the conference to consist mostly of daddy trying to position himself and/or his family in a way that might get them a TV show, including questions he has added to the pile, rather than answering questions that people are really interested in.

Wish I could go up and add a few questions myself...

At any rate, this next press conference is at 9:30 EDT, so I'll be watching and laughing at the fool and the press that is being dragged around on a saturday for a non-story.

-Adam

-Adam

Kitty Sinatra

another post so nice you signed it twice, eh?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

you deserve a spanking![/quote]

[/QUOTE]

:eyebrows:[/QUOTE]

I'm much more interested in this than in the balloon family right now.

Steve

Steve

He had pitched a reality show prior to the balloon incident and the studio passed on it. This guy is a douche who thinks any publicity is good publicity. And he's right. He'll be able to volley this into a career of reality tv appearances on VH1 or a future Celebrity Apprentice. I hope if they find out this is a hoax, or even it it wasn't, they can charge him for the costs of chasing that balloon across the state.
And there's been video of his kid getting sick on TV. If this was a hoax and you've asked your kid to lie, sounds like his stomach got upset due to the stress and he ended up getting sick. Guess in this guy's opinion being hated by America is better than not being recognized at all.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Ya, I don't think anyone is surprised by this announcement.

I for one really hope that they can find more charges on the federal level and with any luck this asshat will be completely shunned.

Hylian

Hylian

I hope they charge them with every thing they can and a few they can't

strawman

strawman

This guys is going to literally rip his family apart if he doesn't come clean - from what I'm reading he's willing to go to such lengths if it means he will become a celebrity.

I was not surprised to find out they met at acting school. I was surprised that they don't have any significant post-high school education.

I'm very surprised to find that he is a person who is commonly refered to as a 'electromagnetic nutjob' in engineering circles. He is obsessed with the idea that magnetism is the primary force causing most weatehr disturbances, etc.

Ugh. These people are bad off enough not understanding how magnetism works and how it's being measured 24/7 already, but they spout their BS to anyone and everyone willing to listen, and others become confused.

But yeah. I hope they throw the book at him, and the media starts to ignore them, if only for the sake of their children.

-Adam