Export thread

Nexus One? (or, 'Please help me choose a new phone')

Enresshou

Enresshou

So my current plan's going to be ending soon (I split a family plan with my dad/stepmom/stepbrother/stepsister, but my stepbrother and stepsister are dropping out as well), and I've been thinking about getting a new phone.

The ads on this site keep showing me the Nexus One, which I'm definitely interested in. I don't know anybody who has one, though, and--while reviews have been generally positive--I wanted a 'first-hand' review at it from somebody who's used it and their perception of its pros/cons. I've also been contemplating an iPhone, but my biggest reservation has been the fact that it's AT&T, and I've heard tons of negative reviews on their reception/etc., and I'm not going to be in a major metropolitan area. I've heard almost nothing about the Droid, but I'm going to be looking into it.

I don't know my way very well around the area, so GPS/Google Maps is pretty much a must (I don't want to buy a separate GPS unit). I definitely want a smartphone, but--since I'm just getting into this (I've had a bare-bones model for years)--I'm sort of ignorant on it. Any tips/pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Dave

Dave

I have a Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phone. I'm no help at all.

Covar

Covar

I assume in this day and age that this is going to be your primary/only phone. If that is the case picking the best carrier is going to be your priority, make the phone secondary. Verizon coverage has always been fantastic to me, while AT&T suffers whenever I'm not in a city environment.

Now, if you can get good AT&T reception I would recommend the iPhone, If you go with Verizon the Droid is a perfectly good phone. In fact android is a pretty good operating system (it's problems are the same as linux, it's so openness gives it a disjointed, cluttered feel). I don't recommend Android on AT&T only because I find the iPhone to be a superior device.