NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not the White Stripes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCM

Whats with my fave bands splitting up the past years?

http://whitestripes.com/
The White Stripes would like to announce that today, February 2nd, 2011,
their band has officially ended and will make no further new recordings or perform live.

The reason is not due to artistic differences or lack of wanting to continue, nor any
health issues as both Meg and Jack are feeling fine and in good health.

It is for a myriad of reasons, but mostly to preserve What is beautiful and special about
the band and have it stay that way.

Meg and Jack want to thank every one of their fans and admirers for the incredible
support they have given throughout the 13 plus years of the White Stripes’ intense and
incredible career.

Third Man Records will continue to put out unreleased live and studio recordings from
The White Stripes in their Vault Subscription record club, as well as through regular
channels.

Both Meg and Jack hope this decision isn’t met with sorrow by their fans but that it is
seen as a positive move done out of respect for the art and music that the band has
created. It is also done with the utmost respect to those fans who’ve shared in those
creations, with their feelings considered greatly.

With that in mind the band have this to say:

“The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong
to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is
that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your
involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful.”

Sincerely,
Meg and Jack White
The White Stripes

I gotta say, as sad as I am to see them go, that's a classy way to end it.

Of course, I expected the band to end back when they got divorced.

Dave

Staff member
As you get older, JCM, so do the bands you love & grew up with. Most bands don't have the staying power of the Rolling Stones or the Who. Some of my favorite bands include Pink Floyd, Toad the Wet Sprocket & the Gin Blossoms. What do they all have in common? They are no longer around. Toad occasionally does a gig but nothing new.

Welcome to old age.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Did they recently do a gig in Helsinki? It's something of an urban legend that any internationally famous band who plays in Helsinki will have a 50% chance of breaking up within the next year.

J

JCM

Well Dave, thankfully Rammstein seems to be safe from the "short-lived modern band" curse.... *crosses fingers*
So he won't have his ex-wife drumming for him anymore...

I don't think Jack is going anywhere.
Sadly Raconteurs and The Dead Weather =/= The White Stripes.....
At least I still have the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for that minimalist 2-instrument sound :-(

At least I still have the Yeah Yeah Yeahs for that minimalist 2-instrument sound :-(
The Black Keys have a similar set up to the White Stripes. Except the drummer has superior skills.

But hey, at least The Strokes are reuniting. It's something.

As you get older, JCM, so do the bands you love & grew up with. Most bands don't have the staying power of the Rolling Stones or the Who. Some of my favorite bands include Pink Floyd, Toad the Wet Sprocket & the Gin Blossoms. What do they all have in common? They are no longer around. Toad occasionally does a gig but nothing new.

Welcome to old age.
Pink Floyd's one of my faves and they were broken up before I hit elementary 1st grade. The bands sometimes get old first.

Dave

Staff member
Pink Floyd was formed in 1965 - the year I was born.

Trivia: Their original name? The Megadeaths.

Dave

Staff member
I don't like them either, but I can't say that they suck. Lots of people I don't like are musically relevant.

J

JCM

Thanks for reminding me about The Black Keys... In the post-fatherhood rush I forgot to pick up "Brothers" and man its their best stuff so far.

ElJuski

Staff member
Meg White will have to go back in the closet underneath the staircase. More importantly than the White Stripes breaking up is DFA1979 coming back together. Cocaaaaaaaaaaiiiine!

P

Philosopher B.

White Stripes made some pretty boss tunes, but Jack White'll make some music yet.

Sadly Raconteurs and The Dead Weather =/= The White Stripes.....

Maybe not, but Broken Boy Soldiers is one of my fav albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.