Export thread

One favorite band

fade

fade

If you had to pick one favorite modern era band of all time, who would it be?

No waffling. One topping means one topping, not half mushrooms and half pepperoni. Though feel free to discuss your choice.

When forced to pick like that, I choose Creedence Clearwater Revival. There's a reason why Born on the Bayou is one of the most covered songs of all time. Because it's good. John Fogerty has such a unique voice, the lyrics are thoughtful beyond "hey there's this chick I like". Also good are "Walk on the Water" and "Wrote a Song for Everyone", and well pretty much everything.

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Pearl Jam.

Ten was my first CD and still one of the only albums I can listen to every single track on. Now, I might like everything they've put out in the last 20 years, but I can still listen to and dig most of it. But for Ten, I will call Pearl Jam my favorite band of all time.

After thinking it through, I have WAFFLED!

Queens of the Stone Age.

For almost the same reason as Pearl Jam, except I can listen to any of their albums through without skipping a track. Especially R and Songs for the Deaf. The vary themselves up enough out of the straight stoner rock they generally play for some variety. Just sticking one of the CDs on and chilling on my couch can put me back into a state of mind like my illicit substances past self would slip into.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Sex-Bomb-Omb.

Cause they make me think about death and get sad and stuff.

Tress

Tress

Incubus. I'm a huge fan of their music in general, and especially Brandon Boyd's vocals.

TheBrew

Pearl Jam.

Ten was my first CD and still one of the only albums I can listen to every single track on. Now, I might like everything they've put out in the last 20 years, but I can still listen to and dig most of it. But for Ten, I will call Pearl Jam my favorite band of all time.

After thinking it through, I have WAFFLED!

Queens of the Stone Age.

For almost the same reason as Pearl Jam, except I can listen to any of their albums through without skipping a track. Especially R and Songs for the Deaf. The vary themselves up enough out of the straight stoner rock they generally play for some variety. Just sticking one of the CDs on and chilling on my couch can put me back into a state of mind like my illicit substances past self would slip into.
I could say the same for QotSA, but I think that they lost a certain something when Oliveri was fired. He might be a colossal douchebag and woman-beater, but I think that the albums he was on are the best.

So I am going to go into reverse and say Pearl Jam. Like you, I can (and have) listen to Ten on repeat. I don't think that they have produced an album quite as good since Yield, but their modern stuff still has some great stuff in it. I think that picking up Matt Cameron was a big win for them, though I think that Jeff Ament's bass lines are just not as quality as they were a decade ago. However they put on a great live show and I just simply listen to them far more than any band.

Plus I would be remiss to name them since I am a paying member of Ten Club.

Zappit

Zappit

Currently - Shinedown. I loooove good bad rock - and these guys are great trash rock.

Gryfter

Gryfter

RUSH. They have survived over 30 years and still put out great music. Plus they are one of the best live acts around.

blotsfan

blotsfan

If you're willing to count weird al, then its weird al.
If you're not, then its the Goo Goo Dolls.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Bryan Adams. For a few reasons:
1) Canadian, bitches!
2) A lot of great songs I love to sing along to.
3) The only performer I've seen live. Twice.

Espy

Espy

Nine Inch Nails (or really the works of Trent Reznor I suppose).

From the simplicity of synth based industrial/dance on PHM to the shocking complexity of Ghosts I-IV, from the smashing hard guitar rock of Broken to the amazing intricate work on The Social Network soundtrack I can get lost in this music like nothing else. Every listen yields something new musically, and I love discovering that that sound I thought was instrument "A" is actually 3 different things creating that one awesome sound. Lyrically, well, Reznor veers from A+ quality stuff to horribly mediocre high school angst. Sometimes that high school angst works and sometimes it's just kind of cheesy but put it all together and it works most times.

Null

Null

David Bowie.

Espy

Espy

David Bowie.
Yeah, I almost went there. Bowie's catalog is just so freaking amazing.

Null

Null

Yeah, I almost went there. Bowie's catalog is just so freaking amazing.
Indeed. All the experimental 70's stuff, 80's pop, heck I even like "Outside", the industrial concept album he did with Brian Eno, inspired by Trent Reznor. "Earthling" had some good stuff as well - "Dead Man Walking" and "Little Wonder" are probably my favorite techno (bass/drums) songs that aren't from Daft Punk.

Krisken

Krisken

While I really dig the Reznor love being displayed here, I would probably go with Maynard Keenan. I mean, who else uses the Fibonacci sequence to write a song?

Shannow

Shannow

The Diplomats.

Philosopher B.

Aqua.

HIYA BAHBIE

Espy

Espy

While I really dig the Reznor love being displayed here, I would probably go with Maynard Keenan. I mean, who else uses the Fibonacci sequence to write a song?
Technically Justin Chancellor wrote that song but hey, Maynard is also the man.

Krisken

Krisken

Gah! I am full of fail lately. I should just hide my head in the sand and wait for this to blow over.

Espy

Espy

Gah! I am full of fail lately. I should just hide my head in the sand and wait for this to blow over.
FEEL THE SHAME.

But seriously, I don't think Maynard writes anything but lyrics in Tool since... well... probably almost forever. My understanding is the other guys write, send him the music and he writes lyrics.

Krisken

Krisken

If he's writing the lyrics, then he's partly responsible for the sequence appearing in Lateralus.

Dave

Dave

Pink Floyd.

Espy

Espy

If he's writing the lyrics, then he's partly responsible for the sequence appearing in Lateralus.
Well, I assume he is, wikipedia just lists Justin as the "writer" but my understanding is he writes all of his lyrics. Either way, it's an amazing song. Just simply amazing.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Dunno if it really counts as a band, but I've been listening to Jerry Lee Lewis since I was a toddler, and he's fucking awesome.

Edit: better quality song.

fade

fade

Hey, Reznor uses signal processing techniques like Fourier transforms, so it's not like he's short on the math cred.

Krisken

Krisken

Oh no, wasn't trying to say he was.

General Specific

General Specific

Frank Turner

Grytpipe-Thynne

Grytpipe-Thynne

Led Zep and Pink Floyd, equally.

Shakey

Shakey

Right now I'd have to say Ryan Adams. Who is not to be confused with Bryan Adams. Damn you Nick!

Every time I tell someone he's my favorite, the conversation goes like this:
me: I've been listening to a lot of Ryan Adams lately.
random other person: Oh yeah, I remember him from the 80's. He had some pretty good songs.
me: No, you're thinking of Bryan Adams.
random other person: Isn't that who you said?
me: :zoid:

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

The Barenaked Ladies. They were the first band I was ever 'into', and I still love their stuff. When their music comes on, it's all just... good. Good sound, fun, one of the few pieces of my younger days (not that I'm old yet) that I don't shy from... S'just goodness.

Frank Turner
I can't thank you enough for introducing me enough to him. I think I followed a link from your sig one time... And I've been happy ever since.
Led Zep and Pink Floyd, equally.
Not so great with the instruction-reading, hm?

Frank

Frankie Williamson

What do you think of post Steven Page BNL?

General Specific

General Specific

I can't thank you enough for introducing me enough to him. I think I followed a link from your sig one time... And I've been happy ever since.
That was my goal, he's such a great songwriter and performer that I feel I must get him known by more people State-side (he's pretty well-known in the UK already if the Reading Festival videos are to be believed). In case I hadn't mentioned it, he had a new album released back at the end of June, England Keep My Bones, it is awesome.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Not as good :( Definitely preferred them with his presence. I like the album alright, and I listen to a few tracks from it still, but it's not the same! I'm hesitant to see them live now, too... The on-stage interaction of Page/Robertson was outstanding and pushed me to see them three times, even travelling to another city one year when they played Calgary but not Edmonton.

GS: Yes, I've been keeping tabs on him since. :D I won't let an artist like that slip past my radar any longer!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It is so hard not to waffle on this.

Band: Talking Heads - They were just so out of left field, or from outer space... Very innovative, and ever evolving. They have been my favorite band since I was 12.

Artist: Robert Earl Keen Junior - I consider him the Love Child of Willie Nelson and Bruce Springsteen. He has a deft writing range spanning Folk Songs, Ballads, Rocka-Billy, Red Dirt Country, Jazz, Roots and Country Rock. His music can make me laugh, cry, remember, and wonder.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

David Bowie.
That would be my "real" answer. Wouldn't even matter if it was a recording of him reading the dictionary. I'd listen to it on repeat.

Neon Pirate

Neon Pirate

As much as I am amazed by Bowie, who is one of my absolute favorites, it would have to be the Rolling Stones. Some excellent choices and taste here though I think Philosopher B has us all beat on musical depth and soulfulness.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Adam

Adammon

U2

Fuck you, I like U2.

Espy

Espy

Man, I LOVE U2. I'm not sure who these impostors are who killed off the guys and took over after POP though.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

They did get back to their roots a little, but mister Hewson still loves those silly-assed glasses.

Espy

Espy

Their roots were rock and roll, not mediocre adult contemporary pop music for your parents.

But don't mind me, I'll just be over here, all bitter and hateful, listening to War and Achtung Baby :p
(Seriously, I'm just ragging on post-Pop U2, I get that LOTS of people love their last few albums, I'm not a fan, but hey, go nuts. Don't take my ragging to seriously)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Their roots were rock and roll, not mediocre adult contemporary pop music for your parents.

But don't mind me, I'll just be over here, all bitter and hateful, listening to War and Achtung Baby :p
(Seriously, I'm just ragging on post-Pop U2, I get that LOTS of people love their last few albums, I'm not a fan, but hey, go nuts. Don't take my ragging to seriously)
I take it the most seriously.

Emrys

Emrys

The Beatles, especially in their middle period, after they were poppy and before they were drugged.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Who really remembers the Rolling Stones last several albums. I think once most successful musicians hit 40 they lose the spark that made them great in the first place. You are now a long way from the influences that made you creative and hungry to begin with. 20 years of caviar, cocaine and Cristal makes you forget where you are from.

Adam

Adammon

Zooropa and Pop are crap IMHO, I'll be generous and add No line on the horizon too. But How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb to me sounds like 80s U2. All that you can't leave behind not so much.

Math242

Math242

Reznor here as well.

Besides the slip (which is honestly not very good except for 1 or 2 songs), i can listen to everything he's made over and over and find more reasons to like it every single time.

From the raw angst of PHM and TDS to the masterpiece that is the fragile and then the sober anger that lives in Year 0. Damn, Every album is different and brilliant in his own right. Then, there are the remixes, free to use tracks, film all you want policy, free albums, free downloads.

Reznor is my god.

However, Josh Homme's work in Kyuss and QotSA made the choice way more difficult than expected.

Espy

Espy

Really? I think the Slip is pretty damn good. Some really great tracks on there. From the blistering 1,000,000 to the awesome Echoplex, it's just ripe with sweet tracks.

On U2: I think Pop is U2's most creative album, it was them not being afraid to push themselves a little. Everything after that, in my ever humble opinion, is just uninspired and bland. I do find that most current U2 fans don't care for pop or even Achtung Baby, and I totally get that. If people like the stuff they are currently doing Pop would be about the weirdest and worst thing ever.

Math242

Math242

I never liked the slip much besides Echoplex... Maybe i was too busy drooling while listening to Ghosts.

Adam

Adammon

Really? I think the Slip is pretty damn good. Some really great tracks on there. From the blistering 1,000,000 to the awesome Echoplex, it's just ripe with sweet tracks.

On U2: I think Pop is U2's most creative album, it was them not being afraid to push themselves a little. Everything after that, in my ever humble opinion, is just uninspired and bland. I do find that most current U2 fans don't care for pop or even Achtung Baby, and I totally get that. If people like the stuff they are currently doing Pop would be about the weirdest and worst thing ever.
Not liking Achtung Baby? That doesn't even compute to me. It's no Rattle and Hum but still!

fade

fade

Ghosts makes good background music while working, and the desktop wallpapers that came with it are actually what I usually use on my laptop. I really liked With Teeth. Lot of good emotion in that. Right Where it Belongs and Only are two of my favorites.

In fact, here's my iTunes as I read this post:

nin.jpg

Math242

Math242

Ruiner and The becoming are probably near the top in my Itunes as well.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I think I might have to go with the Clash.