Oooo, pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is going right up the with Discovery Channels 'Boom-de-yadda' for my favorite promotional video.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I34JWCY74w&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Flj%2Dtoys%2Ecom%2F%3Fjournalid%3D650109%26moduleid%3D156%26preview%3D%26auth%5Ftoken%3Dsessionless%3A1250589600%3Aembedcontent%3A650109%2526156%2526%3Aeabfab&feature=player_embedded#t=160:2blhjnfb][/youtube:2blhjnfb]

That being said, when did Sci fi turn into SYFY?

ElJuski

Staff member
They turned into SYFY in a desperate bid to get other people to watch their channel...and figured that the populace at large had the mental capability and interests of a five year old. Y's are shiny.

ElJuski said:
They turned into SYFY in a desperate bid to get other people to watch their channel...and figured that the populace at large had the mental capability and interests of a five year old. Y's are shiny.
That would also certainly explain Warehouse 13. Cool concept incredibly ridiculous insipid stories.

figmentPez

Staff member
ElJuski said:
Actually, it's about branding... copyright and trademarks and such. SciFi is generic, but SyFy is now theirs. There are tons and tons of books and movies and such that are SciFi but have nothing to do with the SciFi Channel, but now they can make a distinction between their SyFy products and generic science fiction.

I don't like the rebranding, but that is a pretty great video.

And you just made me want to watch the boom-de-yadda video again.

ElJuski

Staff member
figmentPez said:
ElJuski said:
Actually, it's about branding... copyright and trademarks and such. SciFi is generic, but SyFy is now theirs. There are tons and tons of books and movies and such that are SciFi but have nothing to do with the SciFi Channel, but now they can make a distinction between their SyFy products and generic science fiction.
Okay...soooo...its a desperate bid to get people to watch their channel.

I understand the rebranding since now they actually have a name rather then a dictionary word, it's just that the name is godaweful.

C

cvgurau

It was okay. The light-ping-pong thing was cool, an the MC Escher room.

Frankly, I liked their "I am Sci-Fi" promos better.

ElJuski said:
figmentPez said:
ElJuski said:
Okay...soooo...its a desperate bid to get people to watch their channel.
by having a more easily promotable brand, yeah.

at comiccon, they were giving bags to customers that described syfy as being "a four letter word you can swear by". now if only they had programming that wasn't overflowing with cheese, then maybe their advertising would work.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Gigantic dinosaur that needs a plastic tube between it and the remote control? WHAT IS THIS, THE FIFTIES!? :devil:

Nah, seriously... very cool promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.