Export thread

PAC-10 and Big-10 to expand? Big XII to shrivel and die?

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Possible troubling news for BIG XII football. I just don't know to think about this. On the one hand, I want to see the BCS shaken up. Hopefully by making a mega-conference with the SEC and the PAC10, it will make the current system obsolete. On the other hand, I don't want to lose some great rivalry games, namely, OU-texas. I'm sure they won't drop that game. It's just too big. I'm probably worrying over nothing. It will be weird to not have Nebraska on the schedule.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncb/columns/story?columnist=reeves_jim&id=5263837

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I wish the NCAA would quit killing the Longhorn's Conferences.

Dave

Dave

I want an annual Iowa/Nebraska game. Aw yeah, baby!

General Specific

General Specific

I gotta say, Texas in the PAC-10 doesn't make much sense. For Texas or the other PAC-10 teams. Texas would be going to a weak conference and lose the respect of the strength of schedule that the Big 12 brings. PAC-10 teams would then have to play Texas every year and watch as they won the title every year as well. The PAC-10 really needs to reach out to the likes of Boise State and Hawaii. Add those two and they could divide into even conferences and have an actual Championship game. Plus, it would add new, dynamic teams without terribly upsetting the power balance between the Ducks & the Trojans.

Texas joining the SEC would make a bit more sense, but it is a little geographically awkward (though in the NFL, The Colts being in the AFC SOUTH makes even less sense, but it works). If they did go to one or the other, then they would also have at least 2 non-conference games set between the annual rivalries of OU and Texas A&M. It makes the most sense for Texas to stay where they are in the Big 12.

drifter

drifter

I don't really follow college football closely, so I don't know the ins and outs, but according to this article, the Big XII is fucked. (Yahoo via Deadspin)

papachronos

laep

Quite a few scenarios I've seen point to the Big Ten possibly raiding the Big East as well, taking Pitt or Rutgers. Pitt would provide a natural rival for Penn State and revive that series again, plus Rutgers would provide the New York market ($$$$$). Either way, the Big East would be doomed. I don't see this as being as likely as a raid on Nebraska or Missouri, but it's something to think about.

And this brings me to the point where I say something as a fan of the Big East that I NEVER thought I'd say - at least we aren't the Big XII.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

here's mine:

Pac 16

Classic

Oregon
Oregon State
Boise St
USC
Cal
Wash
UCLA
Wash St

New Coke

Arizona
Arizona State
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Stanford

Big Sixteen

Ohio State
Iowa
Penn State
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Purdue
Minnesota
Illinois
Michigan
Indiana
Missouri
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Rutgers
Syracuse
Kansas

SEC 2.0

EAST

Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Kentucky
South Carolina
Vandy
Florida State
Miami

WEST

Alabama
LSU
Ole Miss
Arkansas
Auburn
Miss St
Clemson
Georgia Tech

DISCLAIMER: I don't know shit about the Big Ten rivalries or anything to split them into divisions.

The fourth mega-conference is tricky. I want Utah, TCU, BYU, and the top of the Big East and ACC to somehow merge together, even though it would be geographically shitty. Or maybe the Mountain West and ACC/Big East could beef up with some of the castaways, and there could be some provision that it's the top 4 conference champions by record going into the "final four" playoff.

Chazwozel

Quite a few scenarios I've seen point to the Big Ten possibly raiding the Big East as well, taking Pitt or Rutgers. Pitt would provide a natural rival for Penn State and revive that series again, plus Rutgers would provide the New York market ($$$$$). Either way, the Big East would be doomed. I don't see this as being as likely as a raid on Nebraska or Missouri, but it's something to think about.

And this brings me to the point where I say something as a fan of the Big East that I NEVER thought I'd say - at least we aren't the Big XII.
Great as if going to Pittsburgh with my Penn State hat and or hoodie is bad enough.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Texas would never go to the SEC. Texas cares too much about academics.

papachronos

laep

Great as if going to Pittsburgh with my Penn State hat and or hoodie is bad enough.[/QUOTE]

I like Penn State. JoePa is a legend and class act. If this happens I can't describe to you how much I'd love for Penn State to give Pitt an annual smackdown so hard it'd knock them halfway into the Sun Belt. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a huge WVU fan, nope, not at all :twisted:.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Hence why they'd "fit" well with the Big 11; geography, rivalry, and history notwithstanding. Oh, and average annual revenue of $16M doesn't hurt.

Dave

Dave

Nebraska is reporting they may join the Big Ten as early as this Friday. Kansas & Iowa congressmen are threatening legal action.

Iowa/Nebraska here we come!

Chazwozel

Great as if going to Pittsburgh with my Penn State hat and or hoodie is bad enough.[/QUOTE]

I like Penn State. JoePa is a legend and class act. If this happens I can't describe to you how much I'd love for Penn State to give Pitt an annual smackdown so hard it'd knock them halfway into the Sun Belt. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a huge WVU fan, nope, not at all :twisted:.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Hence why they'd "fit" well with the Big 11; geography, rivalry, and history notwithstanding. Oh, and average annual revenue of $16M doesn't hurt.[/QUOTE]

And Penn State would smack Pitt to next Tuesday. They play on an entirely different level of football. I'd love to see the smug ass Pitt fans go home with their tails between their legs too.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 AM ----------

Nebraska is reporting they may join the Big Ten as early as this Friday. Kansas & Iowa congressmen are threatening legal action.

Iowa/Nebraska here we come!
ugh, why do politicians get involved in sports?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Because sports fans vote.

This will make room for some of the smaller schools in Texas to move up to the BCS.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

ESPN is reporting that the Big Ten has invited Nebraska, and that Nebraska will officially accept on Friday.

When the dust settles, I'm 99% sure WVU will once again be left without a dance partner. A hell of a time to be without an AD. :(

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Boy did I speak too soon. Not only has WVU found an AD, but his resume is off the charts. Oliver Luck, former WVU and Houston Oiler QB. Former President of NFL Europe. Former chief executive officer of the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority, responsible for Minute Maid Park, Reliant Stadium, Toyota Center. Currently President of the Houston Dynamo of the MLS, who won the league title his first two years on the job. Not to mention his son Andrew is the starting QB at Stanford, and appears to be a lock for the NFL.

He's got loads of contacts in Texas, by all appearances, and as that will be the epicenter of the college sports world over the next week or so, the timing may be perfect.

papachronos

laep

Oliver Luck
Holy CRAP what a hire! I'm hoping that when the dust settles WVU will end up invited to the super-SEC. ACC is more likely, geographically, but then again Texas as a Pac-whatever team doesn't make much geographic sense either.

As an aside, damn I miss Morgantown sometimes. I spent way too many nights not remembering my activities on High Street.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I'd be fine with Neb and Missouri leaving (sorry Dave), and then picking up Ark and TCU. That sounds like an even swap to me. The Big XII could just keep on trucking the way it was.

Seeing Bob Stoops go up against Mike Stoops every season does sound cool though.

I do hope all of this will be enough to break the BCS once and for all.

Dave

Dave

Sorry, Dave? Hell, I WANT Nebraska in the Big Ten!

Covar

Covar

This is why I stick to pro sports.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

It looks like Colorado is officially jumping to the Pac-10. So all the other dominos might fall shortly.

Sidebar: anyone else want to join me and laugh at USC's 2-year postseason ban?

FUCK YOU LANE KIFFIN

papachronos

laep

It looks like Colorado is officially jumping to the Pac-10. So all the other dominos might fall shortly.

FUCK YOU LANE KIFFIN
I'd say more like fuck you, Pete Carroll. He broke all the rules, his players broke all the rules, they reap all the benefits and leave for the NFL and the kids who weren't even there when the Reggie Bush shit was going down get to pay the penalty.

Not that I'm defending Lane Kiffin (aka Bobby Petrino 2.0). Either way, it'll be interesting to see where the chips fall.

drifter

drifter

Dang, that's more vitriol than I'd expect for 7-6. Tennessee fans be vindictive.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Dang, that's more vitriol than I'd expect for 7-6. Tennessee fans be vindictive.
Fans? Rumors were out there that the Tennessee *players* were wanting to take a swing at Kiffin when he announced he was leaving.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Sorry, Dave? Hell, I WANT Nebraska in the Big Ten!
So, they can actually win a game? :p

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

I think it's a bit too light of a penalty, IMO.

drifter

drifter

Fans? Rumors were out there that the Tennessee *players* were wanting to take a swing at Kiffin when he announced he was leaving.[/QUOTE]

Well, players I can understand. They get recruited by coaches with a bunch of bullshit that they're dumb enough to buy into, and then all of a sudden the coach up and leaves? I'd be pissed as well.

But the fans? For Lane freaking Kiffin? Yeah, I can see how his steady leadership of the Raiders would instill such confidence and loyalty. Give me a break.

Although to be fair, I generally view big sport college coaches the same way I view politicians, so I don't expect much from them.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Look, I never was under any illusion he'd be the TN coach for 10 years, hell probably not even 5. But he still left at the absolute worst possible time and I hate USC. I know Carroll's crew did all the violations, but I just want to see Lane Kiffin twist in the wind. I am vindictive as hell.

drifter

drifter

Aw, I'm just giving you a hard time. It's just, you know, Lane Kiffin? Really? :)

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So, Chaz. How much of the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia markets does Penn State command?

If they control enough of it, then who needs Pitt *or* WVU?

WVU would be the better draw of the two nationwide, but our own market doesn't give two craps about us.

Chazwozel

So, Chaz. How much of the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia markets does Penn State command?

If they control enough of it, then who needs Pitt *or* WVU?

WVU would be the better draw of the two nationwide, but our own market doesn't give two craps about us.
I dunno to be honest. I think Pitt has it's own little niche in Allegheny County and Erie where Penn State dominates the rest?

All I do know is there's nothing like going to a game at Beaver Stadium:

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Word is the basketball only Big East schools like Georgetown, Villanova, and Providence want nothing to do with Kansas, K-State, or Iowa State.

If WVU wants to continue to aspire to the BCS, then the Big East has to die. We can't afford to have schools with either 1-AA football or no football at all dictating our future when the map of college sports is being completely redrawn with football as the prime mover.

Also, would JoePa want anything to do with WVU, Syracuse, or Pitt? He is still bitter about how *his* dream East conference died when the Big East was born.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Nobody wants Kansas, KSU, or ISU. They should go to the WAC or Conf. USA.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Scott Van Pelt on ESPN Radio had a guy from CNBC on discussing the conference changes. He brought up a few interesting points:

* The Pac-16 would be a "license to print money." The reality is, that's not usually the case. Just ask Boston about Dice-K. Those dreamed-of dollars never materialized.

*The SEC wants A&M to lock up the Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio TV markets? A&M isn't the big draw in any of those markets, and there's the whole sharing of TV money thing.

*Travel. It's a two-day trip by bus from Lubbock to Corvallis. Who is gonna spend the money to send the non-revenue teams on a trip like that?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

It would be nice if Texas A&M would be broadcast in any of those towns.

The only BigXII games we get are K state v Mizzu. Then UT is normally on ABC.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

The Mountain West snatched up Boise State for as early as next season (2011). They'd be wise to grab Kansas and Kansas State and get their ass a title game.

Jonzac

Well Nebraska has moved officially and BSU is in teh Mountain West...of course the big FUCKING BCS teams are out to screw the mid-majors over again. Both the Pac-16 and SEC are already laying the ground work for why they deserve TWO automatic BCS births...BAH FUCKING WEEINE heads.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I heard that UT will try to stick with the Big XII for another year.