Export thread

Paper Checker?

Wasabi Poptart

I'm taking classes online. I switched colleges this year because I felt I was getting nowhere with my old school. I have a paper due in a few weeks. My old college had an automated checker that would examine your paper for grammatical errors as well as possible plagiarism. It had a turn around of a few hours. My new college has you turn in your paper to a service with a turn around of at least 2 days. I already am losing time on my deadline because everything is on Eastern time and I'm in Hawaii (an assignment due by midnight on Sunday is actually due by 6pm on Sunday for me due to the time difference). So I'm looking for another paper checker online that has a decent turn around or a program I could download.
Any suggestions?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Sadly, no. I didn't even know services like this existed! Neat.

I couldn't help with plagiarism or content, but I am pretty good at technical proof-reading for grammar, punctuation. If you can't find something and need a fresh pair of eyes, I could probably spare the time to read a ~10-15 page paper (I waste enough time reading this silly place, after all). Just send me a PM and I can get you my email address.

Wasabi Poptart

I'll keep that in mind, thanks! It's only 5 pages long so it would take hardly any time to read. :)

Emrys

Emrys

If Chad's not available, I can provide the same service.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

If I trusted you I'd give you the username and password to my online university that does the instant plagerism checker that you speak of.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Wait, they have an online service that instantly auto-checks for grammatical errors and plagiarism? That actually works?
That's...that's...what...I could have...but...
Get off my lawn, you damn kids, with your skateboards and productivity-improving internet services!!!

Wasabi Poptart

Crimson - It's ok. If I remember you could get in trouble for giving it to me anyway. Not that I think they'd notice, but I wouldn't want to take that chance. I'm not that worried about the plagiarism checker anyway. I am good about citing my sources though I don't always do it correctly (one day I swear I will get the hang of APA style). My grammar is not always on par though.

Cajungal

Cajungal

This is suuuuuper late, but I used to check friends' papers in college all the time, and I recently tutored a friend for the English language section of a Praxis exam. I'd be happy to help too if you ever need.

Wasabi Poptart

Thanks CG! If I ever get this damn thing written I'll let you know. I think I have once again been very ambitious in choosing a topic and now researching it has become the bane of my existence.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

The hell? What's wrong with reading your own paper? (royal you)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

At least for me, I tend to fill-in-the-blanks when reading my own paper, because I know what I want to say. So if there's a word missing, I fill it in. If an idea isn't fully explained, my brain fleshes it out because I know the research. But my friends are like "Why is there no verb in this sentence?" Or "Who the hell is Victor Kravchenko?!"

So I always appreciate a fresh set of eyes reading it.

Wasabi Poptart

I tend to miss simple mistakes. Plus some of my grammar is better suited for fiction writing rather than an academic paper.

Cajungal

Cajungal

It's good to have a second set of eyes. Usually we're too close to our own work to catch every single thing.

Chibibar

At least for me, I tend to fill-in-the-blanks when reading my own paper, because I know what I want to say. So if there's a word missing, I fill it in. If an idea isn't fully explained, my brain fleshes it out because I know the research. But my friends are like "Why is there no verb in this sentence?" Or "Who the hell is Victor Kravchenko?!"

So I always appreciate a fresh set of eyes reading it.
This is why my wife proof read my stories. Your brain will automatically fill in the blanks (that is what we do). It is also how pleopoe will aotucoerrct words as they read things.

Wahad

Wahad

I know that my school uses SafeAssign to check for plagiarism, but that is part of the BlackBoard system. As far as standalone programs go, I found this but I have no idea how good it is.

Chibibar

I know that my school uses SafeAssign to check for plagiarism, but that is part of the BlackBoard system. As far as standalone programs go, I found this but I have no idea how good it is.
That is the same system we use.

Wasabi Poptart

My college uses BlackBoard. I think I have seen a link for Safe Assign, but just didn't know what it was. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Mathias

Mathias

Sadly, no. I didn't even know services like this existed! Neat.

I couldn't help with plagiarism or content, but I am pretty good at technical proof-reading for grammar, punctuation. If you can't find something and need a fresh pair of eyes, I could probably spare the time to read a ~10-15 page paper (I waste enough time reading this silly place, after all). Just send me a PM and I can get you my email address.

These things are standard issue to most professors, all you would be plagiarizers!