participate in discussion or links to classified info can bar you from federal jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

makare

participate in discussion or links to classified info can bar you from federal jo

That's probably good advice. If the warning was "don't talk about it or else youll be accused of supporting terrorism" or something like that. Then that'd be a little ridiculous. But since employers do look at facebook et al for character information and possible professional issues, it is probably a good idea to warn about any questions of confidentiality related to Wikileaks.

participate in discussion or links to classified info can bar you from federal jo

If they can show that you handled classified information without having the proper classification, then they can deny security clearance simply based on the idea that you knowingly mishandled classified information.

But the warning is good for general purposes. Don't discuss on public forums anything which may harm your future employers, or call into question your ability to handle trade secrets, IP, and classified material. For instance, I never mention my dealings with the ******* or how I supply ***** to ******** ****, despite the fact that my contracts with ****** and *** ********** ** ******* doesn't really forbid me from doing these things. Unfortunately I have to pay ********* off since she found out. Extortion is an unfortunate reality in the business, but as long as the profit is greater than the cost I still come out ahead.

North_Ranger

Staff member

Yeah, I've been told that I can never discuss how I *****ed the **** ******* during the ****** ******* *********. It was an interesting job, though, although it took ****** **** to ****** it properly. Anna, a fellow ********, was really helpful, though, what with the ******** she did in the *********** ********** and ***********, especially in regards to *** *************'s *******. It was dirty job, but someone had to do it.

That's excellent advice. It's not a "don't talk about it or we'll arrest you!" warning, it's a school alumnus trying to help the graduating class to not commit a faux pas which may affect their chances of getting a security clearance.

Makes perfect sense.

EDIT: Why do I ever read comments on strange web-pages? The collective idiocy always makes my brain hurt...

M

makare

It's probably something I should be more careful about actually. Although my general distaste for wikileaks is well known so that could be on my side.

It's probably something I should be more careful about actually. Although my general distaste for wikileaks is well known so that could be on my side.
I don't think they care about how you feel about Wikileaks, they care about whether you're discussing classified information. Whether it's been revealed or not, it's still classified.

M

makare

Yeah but if I am really against disclosing classified things, which I AM, that should count for me right right Attorney General's office?!?! Why don't you love me!?

Status
Not open for further replies.